Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do some pre-checks on the newly installed AEM before I actually fire the car up. So far, I've got injectors working as validated by a node light. Moving onto spark, I seem to have nothing.

I hooked the igniter up and the harness that goes to the coils (coil on plug). I plugged in one coil and one plug and grounded it out to see if I was getting a spark. Nothing. So, in tracing the problem back, I then thought I could have a bad igniter. Tracing farther back yet, I found I'm not getting any signal to the igniter so the EMS must not be triggering the spark.

The image below is of the parameter list while I'm cranking the engine. One can see that the cam is sync'd correctly, but the 3 coil drivers (I6 engine with wasted spark) are marked as being "OFF". In the options, I have them checked as "Active" so I know it's not something dumb like that.

Any thoughts or things to try? Any other values look out of wack? I realized that I don't have an IAT listed below which is sorta important with a MAP setup so I'm going to check that too.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
What is the option "crank minimum rpm" set to? What is battery voltage during cranking?

Also, more info might help. Is this a turbo Supra or a Supra engine in something else or something else all together? What EMS #, ignitor and coils are you using?

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,876 Posts
i had a problem when i first hooked up aem i never narrowed it down i was going to plug the stock ecu in and decited to try again with the aem and it started first time after i unpluged it you might want to try that hope it helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the 30-1621U model for a Nissan Skyline using stock Nissan coil on plugs and Nissan igniter.

I was told by someone else that my cranking voltage is low. It needs to be at least 9.6V to trigger the full ignition system I guess. I've got my battery on the charger to test this out.

I had a problem with my MAP sensor earlier (AEM 5-bar) and it was giving a funky reading as one can see above. I think I have my MAP wiring straightened away too. It's reading 1.78V which should be atmospheric pressure. I'm assuming that the AEM software records "MAP as load" PSI values without regard to atmospheric pressure...meaning, that even with the car not running, it will show some pressure reading (won't show 0 PSI with the engine off). Right? If someone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Yes. Cranking needs to be at least 9.6v if I remember correctly. Log Battery Volts next time you crank

With the key on Engine Load should read 0.XX PSIg. If it doesnt you need to adjust your MAP Option settings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts