Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help a friend get his car running well with the AEM and it seems to idle well but he has the accufab throtle body and an aftermarket intake manifold and it cannot free rev quickly passed 4600-4800 rpms. no 2-step is selected and everything seems good on the map. he started with my map and I have NO problems whatsoever.

What mechanical components could do this. he has a t70GTQ with .68 hotside with anti-surge housing. SP manifold. We are pulling our hair out!

The underhood tempetures are insane! It got so hot after some light cruising that it melted the plastic wiring harness at the back of the firewall.

PLEASE HELP!

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he checked that right before I posted this thread. it was a little off but now is spot on and still has the same problems.

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,626 Posts
Check for anything trimming timing, sometimes when you don't have an idle control valve, the AEM will trim timing to control idle. (Of course this will have to be pre programmed) But It might be a possibility!

Do you have a copy of the calibration?

·
Registered
174 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
he checked that right before I posted this thread. it was a little off but now is spot on and still has the same problems.
Please post the cal.

My money is still on some sort of timing issue. The symptoms sound as if you have too much timing or very negative timing.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to get him to send it to me. He did add an IAC motor to the aftermarket intake and we checked the trims. maybe we missed one. The weird thing is he used my base map to get started and I have no issues at all. I am wondering if mine is useing some kind of a switch or ground somewhere that is a check for the AEM that his doen't have that is not on his car that is causing his to go into like a "safety mode".

·
Registered
174 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
I'll have to get him to send it to me. He did add an IAC motor to the aftermarket intake and we checked the trims. maybe we missed one. The weird thing is he used my base map to get started and I have no issues at all. I am wondering if mine is useing some kind of a switch or ground somewhere that is a check for the AEM that his doen't have that is not on his car that is causing his to go into like a "safety mode".
Have you pulled a log? If so please post that with the cal file.

Also, what is the wideband indicating when this occurs?

The only safety measure that I can think of that may possibly cause a problem is if the O2 automapping is on or the O2 feedback control settings are on and are somehow messed up.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm the one having the problem with the AEM. Josh and I have been working on it for awhile now. I drive around town and my header glows red with very little boost. I've sync'd the timing (zero'd trims and 10 on timing map) after I Sync'd I loaded my cal file which is around 32 degrees at idle. We rechecked the timing and it was still hovering around 10 ~15 degrees although the aem said 32? I have found that the only cam sensor used is the front one. I had to lenthten that sensor wire with the new manifold but the connections were soldered and only added a few inches. I failed to use shielded wire and it's possible since the wires broke right off at my old connector I have the wires crossed.

My wideband is reading 11~10's when this occurs and tonight I will try to post my logs and cal file.

I have heard that when using HKS cams sometimes you need to install a resistor but noone has gone into detail and they say to call AEM tech on the matter??

Thanks to Josh for working with me so long to fix this problem and for all the responses. :bowdown:

Mike

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks to all that helped!
Mike is grinning from ear to ear and running well. Turns out that when putting everything back together the harness to the front cam sensor was broken and when he replaced it the wires got reversed. when he switched them all was well. We knew it had to be timing/mechanical related but were going nuts trying to figure it out.

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Just a note for all those out there. I had installed a new MSP manifold and the wiring harness needed work for all the wires to fit. As I was working on it the G1 cam sensor connector fell off and I had a 50% chance of getting the wires right and I guess I lost that one :(
I used the ambulance icon in AEM pro and checked for cam sync error. I had an error and timing error. I swapped wires and it was gone :)

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts