Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
most put it in the intercooler piping. Either drill and tap your intercooler piping or weld a a small plate to the intercooler piping and do the same. This allows more area to thread into.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@AlpineTT

But where exactly ? I found some different threads at the AEM Forum but never saw any pictures.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Mine is located on the lower IC pipe (Intake manifold side). If you're going to thread/tap it yourself then I'll save you sometime. It's 5/8 Fine thread. :cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a bung and want to weld it to the intercooler piping.
Has no one a picture with the "correct" position ?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
SpeedUp said:
There isn't really a specific place for it, just that its after the throttle body away from radient heat to affect the readings. Basically its measuring the incoming air temperature. I see alot of people place it on the number one pipe of their greddy intercooler setup, which is the first one off the throttle body on the driver side perpindicular to the pipe.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
If you go to http://www.aempower.com and check out the forums, there is a great thread on placement of the IAT sensor. People were complaining about temps reading too hot when "idling." This caused the A/F to fluctuate, and was because the sensor was getting heat soaked. The consensus was to mount the IAT as close to the intercooler as possible on the intake side. As long as you put it on the lower IC pipe AFTER your IC, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure the sensor/wiring doesn't get in the way of anything.

·
Supraholic
739 Posts
some guys are mounting in in the throttle body when the have removed the TRC,

i mounted mine in the intercooler oiping about 4 inches from the TB away so it will be not that much heat soaked.

cu Andy

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
Bad Silver Supra said:
some guys are mounting in in the throttle body when the have removed the TRC,

i mounted mine in the intercooler oiping about 4 inches from the TB away so it will be not that much heat soaked.

cu Andy
The throttle body is not a great place to mount an IAT if you're planning on spraying any type of aftermarket gas (i.e. nitrous, meth etc.) but otherwise, that will suffice--that is a difficult task on the OEM throttle body because there is little room.

I WOULD NOT put it to the left of the intercooler because your intake charge temp(s) are/is most accurate on the intake side. Intercoolers serve a purpose!

You'll find a lot of useful info on the AEM forums--anywhere on the I/C piping on the intake side of the i/c--you'll be fine.

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
SpeedUp said:
There's no need for a bung or welding! If you use a 5/8 tap, the IAT should thread in just fine. If your IAT gets countersunk in a bung, you're not going to get an appropriate reading. When your car gets warm, it will become especially heatsoaked. Use the straight tap technique--therefore, you'll get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I used the bung that came with the AEM sensor and had it welded on the pipe, and I am happy i did. It looks nice and forms a nice air tight seal that does not leak.

You will want to mount the IAT about 4-6 inches in front of the throttle body in your IC piping. If you spray Meth or nO2; be sure to mount the IAT before the meth/no2 nozzles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts