Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Curious to see if anyone else is having the same issue.
Basically i bought an AEM Infinity 10 awhile back. around a year ago, i finally installed it and had it tuned by a friend who has tuned many of them. one thing we noticed was while cruising, it would cut out for a split second and kinda hiccup then proceed as normal.

I called AEM and they said it was a bug in the firmware and that the ecu needed to have the firmware updated. they said if i save the map and update the firmware, i should be able to reload the map and all should be good with the world.

well... that wasn't the case. updated firmware. same map wouldn't work anymore. by this time, my buddy had gone home, back out of town.

sooooo i put the AEM V2 back in. car ran great for the next year.
about 3 weeks ago, friend came back into town. we updated the firmware on the aem again to the latest and greatest and went back at it. the car is tuned and runs very well. i gotta say, I'm shocked at the difference the ecu makes in drivability... its sooooo smooth.... until it hiccups.

yes. its back. i will be cruising, constant throttle, just doing 55mph in 5th and boom, the car cuts out for a second and hiccups again.
well we finally caught the hiccup/blip on a log. I called AEM tech yesterday to chat about it and sent them the logs.
in the log you can see the fuel pressure jump from 38psi to 43psi. at the same time the AFR leans out quite a bit. kinda seems like an injector didn't fire for some reason.

The AEM tech called me back today and verified he can see the jump in fuel pressure and AFR but doesn't have an answer as to why.
his thought was it was something mechanical.. fuel pump dying, injector dying, FPR dying, etc.

which doesnt make ANY sense.
a year ago, it did this. updated firmware. lost the map. reverted back to AEM v2. no issue for a year. move back to infinity on latest firmware and its back...

that to me doesn't sound like a mechanical issue. it sounds/feels like the aem didn't fire an injector for some reason. (the log shows the injectors all firing correctly, per the aem tech)

next step is to go get a few more logs of it doing and work through it with them (i hope)

my buddy that tuned it said he has the issue in his personal car and has seen it in a few others that he has tuned. (only on infinity)

sooooooo.. i wanted to see if anyone else had seen this issue and what your thoughts and possible fixes have been.

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
How is your fuel system wired? Do you get ca/crank errors when it happens?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have the same issue and I haven't updated the firmware. My tuner caught it on a log too. He sent to
AEM and they didn't say much. It's not my fuel because everything and I mean everything is brand new. Plus I have a brand new wiring harness.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd also check the protection tables and log the coolant/oilt/oilp/lean ProtectOut and pressure ratio failsave channels. If any of the values are set to low / sensitive the limiter will kick in.

I sometimes experienced a fuel cut under light load, later realized it was just the lambda protection.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm far from a computer engineer but this has peaked my curiosity and I'm wondering if we can narrow this pattern.

When the miss-fire occurs, what is the frequency of the event? Does it happen once a drive? Once every couple of drives? Less than that? Does it happen every single time the same road conditions are met? IE- high gear (which gear?), low rpm, low throttle, approximate same road grade, temperature, etc? Or can it happen at other intervals as well?

Also, those of you that are experiencing this problem, could you please answer the following questions?

#1-Specifically, what version of the infinity are you using?
#2-When was the unit purchased?

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
Interesting,

I have had a hiccup as well at about 3000 rpms at a light load but I did find a strange pattern in the cam and crank sensor signal in the diagnostic tab as well as occasional noise and sync errors. There is a possibility this could be caused by my LQ9 coils which have been proven to be noisy.

I had some other issues with my car that I needed to resolve so my car has been down, but I did go ahead and purchase the PHR hall effect cam and crank sensors.

I should have my car back up and running this weekend and I am anxious to see if those sensors fix my issue.

I am on the current firmware on an Infinity 6 that was purchased 2 years ago.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
I had this on mine and it went away once I dropped the stock coils and ignitor (and multiples of stock coils). It used to do it probably every 40-50 miles generally on cruising at constant speed and light load. The AEM guys couldn't find anything wrong with the logs. It was like the engine would shut off for a couple of millseconds. You'd see like a 200rpm drop and it would jump right back up to where it was. I use some $60 1ZZ coils on mine now and they work flawlessly. Personally I think the AEM has issues interfacing with the stock ignitor.

edit: My car had this issue on several different versions up to the latest firmware today

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm far from a computer engineer but this has peaked my curiosity and I'm wondering if we can narrow this pattern.

When the miss-fire occurs, what is the frequency of the event? Does it happen once a drive? Once every couple of drives? Less than that? Does it happen every single time the same road conditions are met? IE- high gear (which gear?), low rpm, low throttle, approximate same road grade, temperature, etc? Or can it happen at other intervals as well?

Also, those of you that are experiencing this problem, could you please answer the following questions?

#1-Specifically, what version of the infinity are you using?
#2-When was the unit purchased?

Frequency is 1-3 times every time i drive it. i can't replicate it in any condition. it is totally random.
the only thing i can say for consistency is it only seems to happen while cruising with low throttle. (10% or so). doesn't happen at full throttle. Gear doesn't matter. temp doesn't matter. gas tank full or empty doesn't matter.

using infinity 10.
ECU was purchased 2 or so years ago.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Enable USB logging and and post the session. Also if you don't use the AEM forums I would definitely check them out and post your session. People have had a lot of these issues. I can tell you mine is tuned and it runs great but there was a lot of frustration.

·
Registered
58 Posts
my infinity has done this since new which was 2 years ago. been over everything and cant figure it out. i even sent my ecu back to them with a log and they said theres nothing wrong with it, but the log showed it cutting out. pretty unimpressed to be honest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SAME. I noticed its only around 2,100 - 2,300 rpms for me. But just like you described. You almost HAVE to be cruising, and enjoying the ride for it to happen. Just enough to make you uneasy out of nowhere.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
it sucks to hear about this, i was hoping to upgrade to this maybe next year but idk now

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Like I said earlier with stock coils and ignitor I had hiccups all the time with 1ZZ coils no hiccups for hundreds of miles now. It was a complete night and day change when I switched ignition. I never even changed a setting in the AEM when I switched coils. This problem seems to only affect 2JZs from what I've heard so there is something unique about the 2JZ that causes this issue with the AEM.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,818 Posts
First, if you changed coils but not settings, you may not be running the coils at optimal (I had to change from 2JZ to 1ZZ - dwell settings). Second, does this issue happen only to Infinity 10? Not the 6/8? And third, can anyone who has this issue confirm they are running RESTIVE spark plugs as well? Curious if running non-R plugs could affect it. I had tons of timing errors / sync errors on my AEM V2 setup running BK 9 non-r plugs, switched to 9 R plugs, and suddenly not a single error since.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
I've always had NGK resistor copper plugs in my car. I've sent logs of this happening before to AEM and they said no timing errors or any other errors for that matter.

·
No Ego or Arrogance!!!!!!
744 Posts
I had this hiccup on my eam 1 it was at light throttle around 3k rpm or so randomly too, not all the time full throttles no problems, I upgraded to AEM Infinity 10 in 2014 and the same hiccups still there on many different set ups, honestly it doesn't bother me anymore. It starts,Idles, runs smooth until it pauses for a nano second then it goes away, car rides drives great, full throttles are awesome at 1000 hp+ and now going for more with a 3.4 stroker and headgames head. But yeah have not pin point the Hiccups, once I get the new set up going dial in will focus on this little hiccup.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Running BKR7E just as i have in all my 2j motors with or without aem.

I actually had this little cut out come up at idle while heading out to SIV the other day.

looked at the logs, and it looks like the ecu misses the crank signal for a split second. there is a giant spike for the crank signal under the diagnostics tab. i assume this is causing the injector not to fire, ,which then causes a jump in fuel pressure as well for a split second.

this shit drives me NUTS!

i talked to a few guys in vegas who have tuned quite a few cars on infinity and was told by all of them that they have seen this, and some on multiple cars.

two guys said they talked to AEM engineers and have been told that they know about the issue, but don't know what to do about it and don't plan on fixing it.

again, keep in mind, this NEVER happened on my V2. but happens almost every time i drive the car on infinity.

very very frustrating. i know its just a little blip and in the grand scheme of things, not a HUGE deal, but i didnt build the car to have "blips" or issues. every time i have a passenger and it happens, they ask wtf that was.

going to talk to AEM at SEMA, as i assume they still won't have a fix for it between now and then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Running BKR7E just as i have in all my 2j motors with or without aem.

I actually had this little cut out come up at idle while heading out to SIV the other day.

looked at the logs, and it looks like the ecu misses the crank signal for a split second. there is a giant spike for the crank signal under the diagnostics tab. i assume this is causing the injector not to fire, ,which then causes a jump in fuel pressure as well for a split second.

this shit drives me NUTS!

i talked to a few guys in vegas who have tuned quite a few cars on infinity and was told by all of them that they have seen this, and some on multiple cars.

two guys said they talked to AEM engineers and have been told that they know about the issue, but don't know what to do about it and don't plan on fixing it.

again, keep in mind, this NEVER happened on my V2. but happens almost every time i drive the car on infinity.

very very frustrating. i know its just a little blip and in the grand scheme of things, not a HUGE deal, but i didnt build the car to have "blips" or issues. every time i have a passenger and it happens, they ask wtf that was.

going to talk to AEM at SEMA, as i assume they still won't have a fix for it between now and then.
that makes sense about the crank signal as the cause. its the most annoying thing ever, the fact this ecu was thousands of dollars and this is considered "acceptable" by aem is horseshit. my car never once did it on the gte ecu/alphabet soup, but has done it on the infinity since day one. i run bkr7eix plugs, and ive run the coppers too.
ill be at sema as well, we can both go complain to them and see what they have to say.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts