Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I spoke with AEM at Sema and was told they hadn't ever heard of the issue. I'm going to send them logs of it again. they mentioned swapping out crank sensors and possibly the aem itself.

not as inclusive as i was hoping, but maybe they will see something in the logs. ill keep you gents posted!
Most the guys at SEMA are just sales/marketing. They wouldnt know about anything like that. I'm sure the engineers are aware at this point.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have experienced it on the latest firmware. It is very infrequent but it's almost like a random single misfire. I vaguely remember someone from aem on their forum acknowledging this issue. If I recall, he implied that an issue between the aem and stock igniter. I've recently swapped over to 1zz coils but have to finish up installing some other stuff before I can test now that my igniter is gone. My follow-up question would be, has anyone with aftermarket coils (no oem igniter) experienced this issue?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
none yet. its snowing here and haven't been able to drive it lately.

a VERY reputable tuner asked for my map and adjusted something on it. once the snow is gone, i will upload his map and see if it fixed it. (not sure what was adjusted)

i will advise when i know more.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Any updates on a fix for the random hiccup issue?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In for this as well, installed infinity back in march and its been hiccuping ever since it was put in, exactly how its described by everyone, cruising about 10% throttle 2500/3000 rpm. happens maybe once every 50-75 miles.

On the way home from the dyno I gave my tuner a ride home and he was able to log it while it happened twice on the highway. He sent it to aem and for 2 months now the engineers have been "looking at it" and we keep getting the run around.

Not very impressed that aem hasnt figured it out 2 years later, for all of us having spent so much money when theres a plethora of other products to choose from now adays.

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
I have this same hiccup on mine! It is 100% random and no consistency to it at all.

I tried using an entire new harness, removed the jumper harness, bought new coils, sensors etc. still there... very very very annoying.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have this issue on my 506, gte vvti with stock coils.

The amount of inconsistency in modifications tells me this HAS to be an AEM problem. It is the ONLY consistent thing. Between all of us reporting the issues, from 506 to 710 to built engines to stock engines, to stock coils, aftermarket coils, waste spark coils, stock harnesses, aftermarket harnesses, stock or aftermarket hall effect sensors, 36-2 wheel or 12 tooth, we all have the issue. The only constant is AEM. I don't seem to see any other people with different ecu's chasing this problem?

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
My 506 Box also exhibits the same random cruise hiccup.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Almost a couple of years later I still haven't had one hiccup since I went to 1ZZ coils.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maybe it is something from the base calibration that almost everybody leaves unchanged. Things like crank/cam setup, decel settings or wall wetting.

I remember having this hiccup as well when I initially installed it years ago. Can't remember when it went away but it could have been anything, ECU hardware, harness, coils or calibration. I've tested stock coils, D585 and IGN1A.

·
Registered
220 Posts
interesting thought. seeing my tuner this weekend, will mention this to him.

Maybe it is something from the base calibration that almost everybody leaves unchanged. Things like crank/cam setup, decel settings or wall wetting.

I remember having this hiccup as well when I initially installed it years ago. Can't remember when it went away but it could have been anything, ECU hardware, harness, coils or calibration. I've tested stock coils, D585 and IGN1A.

·
JetFire
5,371 Posts
In for information having same issue.

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
I'm having similar issues on my Infinity 506. During cruising conditions (light-med throttle) the car will cut out randomly and the RPMs on the tach would drop (sometimes all the way to 0) and then everything goes back to normal again all in a millisecond. On a 1-2 hour drive, the most it would do it is probably 2-3 times. It happens on any speed and any gear however it has happened to me once under boost. I'm going to try to capture it on log and I wont be surprised to find similar results on the fuel pressure and all that - which i'm assuming are not the cause of the issues but rather just results of the car cutting out.

Separate issue though, which may be related, is that if I hit the rev limiter, then the AEM would seem to go into a limp mode where it builds no boost and the car would die out if you let the RPMs drop to 0. Everything is restored upon restart of the vehicle. Does anyone know what that might mean or what kind of failsafe was triggered?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
I'm here for roll call. The 506 box. Experienced it on 2 different boxes.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I wonder if the cruising condition actually has anything to do with it or if that's just when odds are that you'll see it. Obviously you spend much more time at a cruising throttle than at WOT and even if it was under WOT, I'd tend to think you'd blame a WOT stumble on the tune or something else. Reason I mention it is because if it's a stumble that happens anytime than I'm sure AEM cares about it. However if it's a stumble that happens just while cruising, than they likely don't. In browsing their tech support forum, I've seen them say many times "the Infinity is designed for motorsports use, not for street driving". In other words they will likely dedicate precisely zero resources to fixing this until it affects "motorsports" based customers.

Not trying to start a conspiracy here but AEM support comes across a little fishy sometimes. I have serious doubts that the defective ECU that I sent back to AEM for repairs is the same ECU I got back. I sent away a brand new 506 box that was in flawless condition and received back one that looked like it had been used for years and was covered in grinder marks, yet the serial number remained the same. Despite them claiming that nothing was wrong with my ecu, once I got it back my problems were magically gone. I've talked to 2 other people now who have reported nearly identical interactions with AEM. Point is when they say "we've never seen this before", I don't really believe them...

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
I'm running a 508 box and having the issue, it has happened at idle, light cruise and a couple times under boost.

Now, I put more miles on my car then most so the chances of me having it happen under boost are more likely just for the fact that we spend 95% of our time crusing and at idle V.S. the 5% chnace the issue pops up under boost (FYI it is scary as fuck under boost)

41 - 60 of 89 Posts