Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Thinking about possibly getting rid of my MS3 and going to either ProEFI or AEM Infinity. Wondering if there's any NA-T folks already running Infinity? I was looking at the PnP option for the MKIV Supra, but was wondering that even though the ECU plugs themselves are the same size as ours, will it still just work or are the pinouts completely different, and I might harm something by just plugging it into my stock harness.

Or any info in general about Infinity on an NA-T setup that anyone has and is willing to share.

·
boost life
2,477 Posts
Hey all. Thinking about possibly getting rid of my MS3 and going to either ProEFI or AEM Infinity. Wondering if there's any NA-T folks already running Infinity? I was looking at the PnP option for the MKIV Supra, but was wondering that even though the ECU plugs themselves are the same size as ours, will it still just work or are the pinouts completely different, and I might harm something by just plugging it into my stock harness.

Or any info in general about Infinity on an NA-T setup that anyone has and is willing to share.

Curious why your ditching the ms3. Was it the ms3 pro that's pnp

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just standard MS3 with MS3x expansion board. Few reasons I am thinking about ditching it. I've been battling a cam/crank signal sync issue ever since I got it. I've managed to mostly mask it with filtering, but it still affects my start-up. The documentation on how to set a lot of things (such as those filters) is still a bit lacking. Support consists of a forum where you may or may not get many answers with actual substance. My local shops aren't as familiar with it so they can't really use it to it's full potential. I even had one shop flat out decline tuning it because it's MS. I'm willing to pay more at this point if it means a car that runs / starts / drives / idles like it should, and has more overall support.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suggest getting Infinity 506 with a custom made harness for your car. Plugging it in wont harm anything, every ECU is shipped blank and will need firmware loaded along with a base cal.
Who makes a good harness? I've heard about horror stories of these harnesses being of questionable quality. But yeah definitly would be going the Infinity 6 route if I find a good patch harness.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered up an Infinity 506 from Vlad. He made me a custom PnP harness for 2JZGE for my car, and custom made me a base tune for it. Also the AEM CANBUS gauge. Once I can get around to installing it he will be remote tuning it for me. Seemed like the perfect solution. Infinity is one of the more modern stand-alone ECU's, so I'm getting the latest ECU tech, and it will be tuned by Vlad who is not only extremely familiar with all the inner workings of this ECU, but also extremely familiar with applying it to this particular platform. So I'm hoping this ends up being a home-run!

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
The ECUMaster EMU plug and play for the 2JZGTE is also compatible with GE motors. We have a couple of customers running the EMU plug and play on GE motors with great results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered up an Infinity 506 from Vlad. He made me a custom PnP harness for 2JZGE for my car, and custom made me a base tune for it. Also the AEM CANBUS gauge. Once I can get around to installing it he will be remote tuning it for me. Seemed like the perfect solution. Infinity is one of the more modern stand-alone ECU's, so I'm getting the latest ECU tech, and it will be tuned by Vlad who is not only extremely familiar with all the inner workings of this ECU, but also extremely familiar with applying it to this particular platform. So I'm hoping this ends up being a home-run!

Keep us updated! I'm still torn b/w na-t and a swap. I loved the gte in the IS300, but I feel I can obtain my goals with a na-t lol.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get the impression you feel NA-T is the 'lesser' route, why is that?

·
boost life
2,477 Posts
ive been na-t from the start since 2007 and im on same orig block that came with my coupe in 1997 .. i drive mine almost daily on aem v1 and been at 600 rwhp on pump since 2010 . inferior or lesser , yeah right , lol

·
boost life
2,477 Posts
please let us know how things turn out with the infinity setup.. I was seriously considering the ms3 pro as its price point was in my range for what it has to offer as ill never see drag racing nor north of 750 but would like a more consistent factory ' like' running na-t . don't get me wrong , the aem v1 has been running in my car since 2008 and the car has always run well , many around me have always been impressed with alphas tuning on my car , but I do want to go flex fuel and do want some failsafes and prefer ve based fuel modelling

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't Alpha a big ProEFI guy? I think if I lived down where you guys do, and he was local to me, that'd be the route I'd go if he really excels with that platform.

·
boost life
2,477 Posts
cost of overall platform is the issue for me I cant see spending upwards of 4k for that setup when I don't drag race, not chasing 10000hp nor am I weekend street racer.. just want a solid 700ish flex fuel tune that runs as perfect as can be with basic failsafes in place .if I can accomplish this staying in the 2k , then im happy

·
Registered
959 Posts
it is possible to run a basic form of flex fuel on the aem v1, you can install a flex fuel sensor and have it switch over to an e85 map above a certain % of e85, and back to regular pump below the same %. What it can't do is tune for e85 inbetween the 2 maps like the newer ecu's can based on percentage, its an all or nothing switch point on the v1.

So lets say you run pump gas majority of the time it will be on the pump gas map. lets say you have it set over to switch to e85 map at 75% E85 content. Whenever you fill enough e85 to get over 75%, it will switch over to the E85 map. but lets say you only have 50% e85 in the tank, it will remain on the pump gas map, that make sense?

so you can use it to switch between fillups of pump gas and e85, and usually if you have extra e85 on a pump gas tune it wont hurt anything but you wont get the added benefit from the extra tune on it until you fill enough to hit the crossover point. he new flex fuel ecu's are nice in that they can handle any percentage but some people only need to be able to switch between the 2 on fill ups, not have a tune for like 43% E85 or something weird like that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Makes sense.

I already chose and purchased Infinity, but I'd actually still like to know just for my own knowledge, how does it compare with ProEFI as far as features go? Do they pretty much both provide the same features? I'm under the impression (perhaps a false impression) that the Infinity is in general a newer box since ProEFI has been out longer. So on one hand you have a pretty modern & more tried and true ECU (ProEFI), and on the other hand you have a more modern 'latest & greatest' ECU (Infinity). But perhaps it's a false impression, that's just what comes to my mind and would be interested to know how true or false my impression really is.

But from a hardware / software / features perspective, it'd be interesting to see how they compare with each other since they are somewhat similar in price (infinity perhaps being just a hair more affordable).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get the impression you feel NA-T is the 'lesser' route, why is that?
I don't feel that Na-T is a lesser route. It will honestly come down to how much free time I have. I can swap a GTE fairly quick with little down time and I have been toying with the idea of running a VVT-I set-up. I dropped the VVT-I gte in the IS and loved it. Seemed to spool a tad quicker than my buddies non VVT-I GTE. Plus I can snag a VVT-I GTE for 1200-1400 bucks locally. I am going to have to change everything out for my power goals of 6-700ish and being out only the 1200 for the vvt-I doesn't seem to bad and its a little different of a route than most. I could stay Na-T and troll the hell out of people lol,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts