Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to finalize the installation of the infinity 6 from Driftmotion onto my ‘89 MK3.
Does anyone know which pin on the AEM harness I need to use for traction control speed sensor and where would I get the signal from the car side ?

Also Aaron from driftmotion does not recommend launch control and no
lift-shift on the R154 transmission

He has a lot of knowledge when it comes to the supra

I was wondering if anybody has any feedback or had problems with any of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
139 Posts
I have read that r154's don't like to be launched due to a weak thrust washer (or maybe that's just the first part to fail then you beat on 'em).
I know marlin crawler offers upgraded trust washers and bearing retainers. Whether or not that makes it safe to launch, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Does anyone know which pin on the AEM harness I need to use for traction control speed sensor and where would I get the signal from the car side ?
Depends on how the ECU is setup and wired in, so you'd need to contact Aaron to see how they have it done. The VSS wire you would be looking for is the pink wire on the OEM 22 pin ECU connector.

Also Aaron from driftmotion does not recommend launch control and no
lift-shift on the R154 transmission
Unless you like destroying transmissions I'd stay away from anything that puts extra stress on the transmission. I've grenaded a low mile transmission that was completely built by Marlin Crawler with all the goodies, so I wouldn't even consider that to be a fix for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s what I thought about the transmission too. Regarding the speed sensor for the traction control on the AEM Infinity 6 and the car’s ECU

Shouldn’t I be feeding at least three sensors to the AEM.
left front - right front and rear ?

The cars pin22. Is only one ?!?!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don’t know how the mk3 does traction control, but I can tell you how it works on the Infinity. The base Infinity senses wheelspeed via two abs speed sensors. There’s a “drive” wheel (rear) and a “driven” wheel (front). So, two wires per sensor, four wires total from the Inifinty. ( I think the step up Infinity has provision for four wheel speed sensors.) Normally, all four wheels would be the same speed. Loss of traction manifests when the rear wheels spin faster than the front wheels. You set how much difference is allowed in the Traction tables, and it will engage traction control when the rear wheels are X mph faster than the front. So, if the mk3 is equipped with wheelspeed sensors, that’s how it’s done. If it doesn’t have them I’m sure you could add them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Shouldn’t I be feeding at least three sensors to the AEM.
left front - right front and rear ?

The cars pin22. Is only one ?!?!
Yep, totally spaced that you were getting at traction control and not just vehicle speed.

For front wheel speed you'll have to tap into the ABS sensor for either front wheel at the ABS ECU. Pick either the pink and purple w/green or the white and brown w/red wires. Make sure to keep them paired as listed and the striped wire in both combinations is the + side of the sensor when connecting to the Infinity.
As KhrisOK covered the Infinity only needs the one front speed sensor along with the one rear to work.
This is a VR signal and highly susceptible to interference, so you'll want to keep the wiring as short as possible and away from any wiring that conducts power or has a pulsing signal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Got the right pin on AEM ready

Where is the ABS ECU located ?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's next to the OEM ECU, under the dash above the glove box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts