Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New cams are going in the car as soon as they arrive in the mail.

The car is tuned in right now by myself.

Once the cams are installed, what are some of the basic things I need to do to get the most out of them with my tune? Is it just straight forward get it inline again with A/F and no knock? Idle should not be a big deal to tune out.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,529 Posts
what cams are you getting in? also what cams did you have?

i'm sure it'll just be a basic a/f but you might also want to watch the ignition timing if the cams are a big change?

good luck and post back up on what you find!

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sleeknsilver said:
what cams are you getting in? also what cams did you have?

i'm sure it'll just be a basic a/f but you might also want to watch the ignition timing if the cams are a big change?

good luck and post back up on what you find!

going form stock to 280/280 cams.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,529 Posts
that's quite a bit of a cam difference.. i'm not sure how you'd go about tuning it.. but i guess the power band would shift toward the right..

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sleeknsilver said:
that's quite a bit of a cam difference.. i'm not sure how you'd go about tuning it.. but i guess the power band would shift toward the right..

It shouldn't be too hard. Start out conservative and go from there. I was more curious about tricks to get a steady idle.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Same idea as stock cams really, not too much timing and a little richer A:F. You may need to adjust the minimum air setting on the throttle plate to get the ISC back in range. Obviously, it'll need to idle higher. Hardest part will be getting it to pull enough vacuum at idle to work the power brakes (if they are anything like the cams I'm using and I think they are).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I am really interested in how you will mate it with the AEM.
Make some videos of the car with the new cams. I am seriously considering some crane. I wonder how they will make the car sound and work as a street application.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
To get a smooth idle, you'll most definitely have to run more fuel. I would suspect something in the 12.5 range - maybe even richer given 280 cams. There's almost no way to get smooth idle at stoich using aftermarket cams.

-scott

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
my car idles fine on 280s up to about 14.0:1, anything over that it starts to miss... i can make them idle like stock with the AEM it just doesnt sound stock... i too was not making enough vacuum for the booster to work very well, i was showing about -.5kPa at idle.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
my car idles fine on 280s up to about 14.0:1, anything over that it starts to miss... i can make them idle like stock with the AEM it just doesnt sound stock... i too was not making enough vacuum for the booster to work very well, i was showing about -.5kPa at idle.

MY buddy's supra who just put the 280's in is only making -.7 kpa at idle. Sounds mean as hell.

Mine should be installed before the end of month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts