Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a shop here in El Paso, Texas and had a 93.5tt Supra come in for some diagnosis after not running for a year. Turned out to be a separated Crank Gear/ Crank Sensor Gear.

After diagnosing this and buttoning up some other tid bits here and there, the customer decided to begin some upgrades, starting with the new AEM Series 2 and some other great power adders. We were able to source AEM Series 2 serial number 0021 from the good ol guys, Mark Conte and Jay Meagher at Real Street Performance. This new series from AEM seemed like a godsend with all of the new upgrades and features. Myself and the Owner of the shop have dealt with the previous AEM hardware and AEMPro software may times over. AEMTuner seemed on paper as though it would be a good change.

After getting the AEM from them with a lightning quickness and installing it in the car, then setting it up for the car and beginning to tune, some issues arose including some corrupted calibrations, the inability to connect to any of the three computers we have available, closing the program once attempting to adjust a cell in the fuel table, rendering useless two of the 3 computers we had, reading solely off of TPS for load rather than MAP.

After sending two laptops off for repair, finally getting it to connect and not crash the third computer (still won't connect every time), tricking the AEMTuner program to run while changing cells in the fuel and or spark table, we were still left with a program that still wanted to read TPS as opposed to the MAP sensor.

After going round and round between ourselves about possibilities to fix the issues we were having. We decided to give Mark and Jay a call and see if they had any ideas, since they Beta Tested for AEM on this new Generation hardware/software. We swapped calibrations back and forth and tried little things here and there, and within two days Jay had figured out the issue of the MAP sensor!! Now things are finally startling to lay into place with tuning.

AEMTuner is actually beginning to grow on me now that it is all functioning as it should. The Hardware for Generation 2 is extremely far along and is a blast to control.

I know many people are having to deal with bugs here and there regarding the new hardware/software, some more drastic bugs and some very tedious annoying bugs. All in all, once these bugs and issues are worked out the new hardware/software is great.

Again a Special thanks goes out to Jay and Mark over at Real Street Performance. this has been by far one of the best experiences I've ever had in dealing with another shop. If you don't have a new generation AEM yet, i highly recommend Real Street Performance!

· Vendor
643 Posts
Thanks, we will try to support the community,time willing. Sorry it took me a few to get time to check out your issue. We have a pretty busy shop to run here in Orlando.
On to AEMtuner, I am lucky from the aspect of working on many different tuning platforms so these "bugs" we cross are just a day in the life sometimes. The issue you guys were having was a setting on the MAP min/max voltages. What AEM has done is put a inferred load table in the software. What most systems have is a failed map value. If the map sensor were go offline(wire failure,line failure,sensor failure) it will go to a set value. If we were roadracing we could set the failed value to our peak boost and finish an event if need be. With the AEM it goes to a TP based fueling strategy so you could tune this for such a situation. What you were getting into is a sensor value out of range.
I have been using AEMtuner for a few weeks now and it's a good platform to work from. I didn't have any issues moving into tuner over pro, besides missing the M/L key stroke... If there is anything I can offer in the future let me know.

Jay Meagher

· basupra's worst nightmare
1,349 Posts
On to AEMtuner, I am lucky from the aspect of working on many different tuning platforms so these "bugs" we cross are just a day in the life sometimes. The issue you guys were having was a setting on the MAP min/max voltages. What AEM has done is put a inferred load table in the software. What most systems have is a failed map value. If the map sensor were go offline(wire failure,line failure,sensor failure) it will go to a set value. If we were roadracing we could set the failed value to our peak boost and finish an event if need be. With the AEM it goes to a TP based fueling strategy so you could tune this for such a situation. What you were getting into is a sensor value out of range.
So there was no bug, just an improper map min/max voltage setting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.