Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum to see if there was an updated debate or recommendation on this topic, but most things are pretty old by now. Car is 2jz/V160 single turbo driven mostly on the street with an occasional track day

I own AEM V2 right now, which is uninstalled. I bought it awhile back when it was newer hardware, but I realize it's been surpassed by now. I've been looking into upgrading to Infinity 506 which seems like it helps drivability quite a bit...save for the hiccup issue that seems unresolved at this point, for not a lot more money. It looks like aftermarket coils that replace the stock ignitor potentially fix the "glitch", but that's an added expensive that might not be needed and instead funneled into buying say...a ProEFI 128 system.

I know a lot of you will say Motec, Syvecs or ProEFI right off that bat, and that's fine, but this isn't going in a MKIV Supra, so it's probably not worth that price tag. I haven't ruled out ProEFI yet, especially if I can find a second hand one for a decent price. With that said, my goals are 600-700whp right now, so nothing too crazy.

So for arguments sake in 2020, AEM V2 or Infinity?

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Personally I'd just stick with the V2 and send it since you have it, and it's such a widely known and supported option. The current firmware versions allow for flex fuel on a MT car without any fuss and IMHO the Infinity is overrated specifically because of its issues.

So long as you don't have any need of the advanced features offered by the latest greatest stuff like modern auto trans support or boost by gear or traction control or extensive datalogging etc - V2 does what you need it to do, no sense spending a bunch of money for minimal additional benefit.

As with any ECU, setting it up with quality sensors and injectors, and having it tuned by a professional that knows the 2JZ and that particular ECU is much, much more important than having the fanciest ECU possible.

·
Game Over
1,274 Posts
^^

This.

I've had good luck with my V2, while unfortunately a friend of mine had issues with his Infinity.

It was also much easier to find a tuner for my V2 as well. The V2 was easier to install and setup, as it is true plug and play ECU without the need of a jumper harness.

Just plug in the box, and re-arrange the pins on the ECU side of your factory harness if needed.

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I'd just stick with the V2 and send it since you have it, and it's such a widely known and supported option. The current firmware versions allow for flex fuel on a MT car without any fuss and IMHO the Infinity is overrated specifically because of its issues.

So long as you don't have any need of the advanced features offered by the latest greatest stuff like modern auto trans support or boost by gear or traction control or extensive datalogging etc - V2 does what you need it to do, no sense spending a bunch of money for minimal additional benefit.

As with any ECU, setting it up with quality sensors and injectors, and having it tuned by a professional that knows the 2JZ and that particular ECU is much, much more important than having the fanciest ECU possible.
It would be great to have the option for boost by gear and traction control at some point. I have a solid plan for sensors because I know your output is only as good as your input. The benefit to going with the Infinity right away is I'm having a custom harness built and I can specify it's for that ECU so I don't need the conversion harness. I've seen the V2 sell for around $1400 in new condition like mine, so it'd almost be a wash.

Not too worried about a tuner, I have an AEM guy I've known for a long time, he's familiar with both versions. If I went ProEFI, I'd go to SP likely since it's not super far from me.

I just want to get in the car and drive it to the freeways in Mexico.

·
boost life
2,521 Posts
Look into ecumaster black . I have it in my sc300 and on a late night basic remote tune for startup from alpha my tuner at induction performance , she starts and runs almost like stock and I have flowing head and 272 cams

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look into ecumaster black . I have it in my sc300 and on a late night basic remote tune for startup from alpha my tuner at induction performance , she starts and runs almost like stock and I have flowing head and 272 cams
I'm glad you bring that up because this is a product I have not had much exposure to yet.

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should ask...does it allow you to control your a/c?

·
boost life
2,521 Posts
I should ask...does it allow you to control your a/c?
Absolutely does . To be honest I personally couldn't figure out the correct setting to get ac request switch to activate but when I used invert signal option to test , ac clutch would engage . Shout out to ecumaster support as they had me send my Cal file , they made the necessary correction for pullup and bamm works perfectly

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
V2 will do boost target by gear, throttle, rpm, and scale between all of these based on ethanal %. You can also wire a rotary switch to increase or decrease boost target on top of that. It has wheel speed differential traction control (called 3Step) but it's not quite as simple a setup as the Infinity.. once set it functions just as well. Knock control and safety functions are essentially the same between V2 and Infinity. The only thing for driveability I can say the Infinity does better than the V2 is with decel fuel cut-out. There is an additional delay and reinstate option that I really like. Not saying the V2 does this poorly, but the extra options add a little refinement with Infinity.

I've had the V2 since 2011 and have tuned many V2 and Infinity cars. I know both inside-out. There's nothing compelling from the Infinity or any other ecu out there that makes me want to switch. V2 is excellent.

This sums it up perfectly. (y) I'd only add that the wiring will be another major determiner of having happiness or headaches.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It would be great to have the option for boost by gear and traction control at some point. I have a solid plan for sensors because I know your output is only as good as your input. The benefit to going with the Infinity right away is I'm having a custom harness built and I can specify it's for that ECU so I don't need the conversion harness. I've seen the V2 sell for around $1400 in new condition like mine, so it'd almost be a wash.

Not too worried about a tuner, I have an AEM guy I've known for a long time, he's familiar with both versions. If I went ProEFI, I'd go to SP likely since it's not super far from me.

I just want to get in the car and drive it to the freeways in Mexico.
I have boost by gear and i run a V2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
What if you have a V1; Would you go to V2 or straight to infinity?

·
Inline for the win
4,764 Posts
Check this out as it may change your decision for AEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts