Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, getting back into the supra game after the untimely demise of my last project, the sound of that SP71gtq and the SP manifold haunts me to this day...

I am looking at going with the AEM (I use to be a TEC2 user so I am well enough versed in the tunning and installation requirements of a standalone). I am installing into a still stock wiring harness. Here is my question however.

My car is currently an auto, I am going to swap my 5sp in, but I noticed the AEM is for the manual tranny version only, is this an issue. I am trying to find out if the harness are different (hence the issue) or the AEM just does not provide some feeds for an auto (no prob, will have a manual).

Thanks in advance. I hope some of the old crew is still around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Better post with the right account... opps...

Anyways here is my hardtop 92 that is getting the transplant.

·
For Sale
453 Posts
no it doesnt matter. you can actually use a auto with it to if i understand everything correctly. ill upload the pdf in a minute.

EDIT: here you go:
http://www.freewebs.com/supraboost/files/10-1130 for EMS - 30-1130.pdf

or, if you have the AEM software on your computer already (its free from the AEM forum) this same file is in C:\Program Files\AEM\AEMPro\Instructions

hopefully this will help

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
bigbad

the tec2 and tec3 is nice

even if you ahve used the wintec software the AEM is a entirely different beast. Almost like comparing the AEM v most higher end EMS software. There is THAT much difference :) More secifically the way you use other sensors. Capturing raw data etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it is different, but is different bad? Not having to pretty much build a custom harness again sure makes things easier, the plug and play is appealling.\\Thoughts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I trust that old nasty 15+ year old harness as far as I could throw my supra and I sure as hell would not gamble a motor on it ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My harness is actually new(er) replaced about 3 years ago. Any other feelings?.

Ultimately I would like to rebuild a custom harness, but I made the mistake of diving in all once last time. This time, it will be a slow progression. I can't deal with telling my wife my car is off the road for another few years lol...

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
well besides relying on the OEM harness being my biggest concern. That is about it :)

though i remember you from when I used to run the tec3. why you going to the AEM on top of the tec3r if I may ask? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, decision not made yet. The lure of being able to plug into the stock harness and be up and running quickly is attractive. I have not looked onto the status of the TEC3's yet. That may still be an option.

Basically my biggest problem with the old tec was finding enough guys who had seen it that could lend a hand.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
one word

BMW

:)

BMW folks tend to go with the tec3r as a PnP for thier application as SiasTuning out of CA makes them PnP And the new Wintec4 software coming out when the tec-lite comes out. Looks sweet..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a time frame on the tec-lite. Am I loosing anything with a tec'lite' vs. a true tec3?.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
in my opinion tec lite is made to compete against the megasquirts of the world. It looses a number of inputs and output and if I recall has enough to run 8 cylinder in wasted spark. Same with 6 cylinder. They have no data on thier site but I saw it in an electromotive brochure.

As for the Wintec4 they are revamping it to make it more user freindly. Don't get me wrong the wizards are great but to go into the engine monitors takes a couple of click that they could just boot into it anyway :)

also and this is not 100% sure they are finally implementing sensor editing parameters in the wintec4 meaning that nopw you could use stock sensors and have the correct information displayed/

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,263 Posts
TEC3 is a really nice unit... AEM is nice to plugin.

I'm going for an aem simply because there is so much aftermarket following for the JZ engines. I know a good tune (learn) is a call away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is a good question.. But that dates back to way back when when their were many site issues way back in the day when some accounts got locked out, hell I am sure there is some accont somewhere from long before either of these two accounts.

But this is going off topic...

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
BigBad91Turbo said:
That is a good question.. But that dates back to way back when when their were many site issues way back in the day when some accounts got locked out, hell I am sure there is some accont somewhere from long before either of these two accounts.

But this is going off topic...
Um...why are both accounts being used daily?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
well my questsion to you is, is the tec2 giving you problems or are you looking for features the tec2 does not have? If no then I personally would not upgrade, you know that whole if it is not broke don;t fix ;) even if it is a new motor.

AEM is a still a big learning curve but if you have tec2 exp then it should not be that hard save for a couple of quirks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The tecII I had was destroyed in the fire so I am starting form square 1. I have seen a few Tec2s for sale used that were pretty cheap. I might jump on one of those if I see it again.

If I go electromotive, i would really like to try the tec3 this time. I think I am simply going to wait until I am ready to drop the controller in (a few weeks of prep time with engine and turbo rebuilds). Maybe I will see a deal come up in between then.

Thanks for your imput guys. I have started tearing down the old built up engine as it has sat for the past two years after being pulled from the other car. I am going to replace some bearing and check the tolerances and call it good, I don't expect that I really need to take this step, but I for the cost of some gaskets and bearings, it is good insurance considering the turbo kit that I will be running again. After most of the hoses and anything plastic burnt I am concerned that some sot particles might have gotten into the engine itself.

Now my next research will be into the status of the 5sp upgrades or 400 auto's since I was last here. I know a few people were working on some options, but that will be a different thread. My car is currently an auto, I much preffer a 5sp and have all the parts here for the swap including the tranny and RPS 6puck ect ect. However there are some serious advantages to a built auto to handle the power of the SP71gtq turbo...

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
BigBad91Turbo said:
The tecII I had was destroyed in the fire so I am starting form square 1. I have seen a few Tec2s for sale used that were pretty cheap. I might jump on one of those if I see it again.

If I go electromotive, i would really like to try the tec3 this time. I think I am simply going to wait until I am ready to drop the controller in (a few weeks of prep time with engine and turbo rebuilds). Maybe I will see a deal come up in between then.

Thanks for your imput guys. I have started tearing down the old built up engine as it has sat for the past two years after being pulled from the other car. I am going to replace some bearing and check the tolerances and call it good, I don't expect that I really need to take this step, but I for the cost of some gaskets and bearings, it is good insurance considering the turbo kit that I will be running again. After most of the hoses and anything plastic burnt I am concerned that some sot particles might have gotten into the engine itself.

Now my next research will be into the status of the 5sp upgrades or 400 auto's since I was last here. I know a few people were working on some options, but that will be a different thread. My car is currently an auto, I much preffer a 5sp and have all the parts here for the swap including the tranny and RPS 6puck ect ect. However there are some serious advantages to a built auto to handle the power of the SP71gtq turbo...

lol

you missed my tec3 that i just sold with map, harness, iat, coolant and tec3 (not R) for 1200 :) New home is an IS300. No DFU though BUT any GM dual tower coil will work :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts