Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had mentioned this car in one of Steve's threads and no one wanted to believe the power it had made. I had claimed 400RWHP at 12PSI, stock twins. Mods to the car were as follows: AEM, Greddy 3row, filter on the end of the MAF sensor (yes, this was THROUGH the MAF!) with some pipe. We couldn't get the boost up with this funky EBC unfortunatly and logs were showing 176KPA which is 76KPA of positive pressure so this isn't much boost onboard. We didn't install the AEM on this car some other shop full of morons did so in retrospect it's possible there's a BCC hidden somewhere. However since the AEM's wastefire ignition setup will usually cause the ignitor to pull enough dwell to misfire at 14PSI it's possible that the car really was only running this much boost. The boost controller seemed to be doing nothing so this would've been W/G boost. This was pump gas and we did have to put in some fresh plugs - the Autolite plugs had a scary gap and a TON of carbon crap on them from running on the AEM basemapping. Tuning was done at AR Fabrication in Winchester by myself and Howard and was based off of my AEM tune. Car came in on a rollback and drove home when we were done :) I understand it will be getting ALOT more mods here soon.

Anyway, attached is the dyno. It's actually only 380SAE but we saw 399 STD which is what the dyno normally reads <shrug>. Map available upon request but the drivability may not be perfect, the car had no W/B so we couldn't do much street tuning for driveability since we had no idea what A/F ratios we were at. Cruise ought to be close though.

P.S. Another car was recently brought to AR FAB for an AEM. Some other shop had left a VPC, GCC in place and installed an eManage on it. I'm told the car ran like ASS. WTF are people thinking when they hack up cars like that?:mad:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and NO we didn't spend much time tuning the turbo crossover point. We could've smoothed it out some but we were mostly working on getting timing "right". Dunno' why these numbers seem high to folks I've talked to - would love to figure it out. This car was a low mileage 97-98 model in very good shape <shrug>.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, NO comments?! :lol: Since I've actually had some success posting graphs I'm posting the laptop log from this dyno pull too. You can see load didn't go higher than around 170KPA but the load cells on my laptop that were lighting up during the pull were 176KPA so it must have been interpolating. Awful flat load up top so for sure we will double check for a BCC just in case. I still think this is pretty accurate though, wish my car had been this strong!

Yellow in middle is Load. You can pretty much ignore the knock voltages on this since it was a laptop log - had trouble getting a good internal log for some reason. HATE that nasty dip in load as the turbos transition and wish we'd had time to smooth that out. If I could find my old twin maps we could probbaly have gotten this nearly seamless <sigh>. He's going single anyway so no worries!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LIMITED said:
Wow, That is extremely awesome for the stock twins at such little boost!
Yah, possibly too good! There's some suspicion that a BCC may not have been removed by the morons who screwed the AEM into this car and honestly we didn't think to look at the time. When I mentioned these numbers in another thread folks really didn't think it was possible to make this kind of power at such low boost. We were probably on the W/G spring and we couldn't have been going much over about 14PSI even if a BCC was in there since for various reasons the ignition won't handle it.

Hopefully I'll get my paws on this car again when we have a little more time and we can find out EXACTLY what the story is. For now this is all the info I've got. I honestly don't know how incredible these numbers are or aren't but I thought I'd put it up for folks to take shots at :D

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Numbers look good, but without knowing the real boost number they don't mean too much. For a point of reference my car made 402rwhp SAE at 16.5psi on a Dynapack on pump gas with a 3-row, SFC and cam gears, DP+exhaust. I assume this car had a DP and exhaust as well right?
I'd be interested to see what it does at a known ~16psi or so on pump gas. I'm still not a real beliver in the AEM on stock twins until someone proves otherwise ;)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, good point this did have a DP and some sort of exhaust on it - pretty quiet though. The AEM does pickup power on stock twins, my car used to have them and while peak power didn't change much my midrange was up about 75RWHP. :D

Anyway, boost level on this thing indicated around 70KPA and it was on the W/G. No boost gauge to verify this against but when it's worked on next we'll know what's up so far as a BCC. It certainly wasn't running as high as 16PSI IMO as the ignition would've cut out.

Oh, I may have the chance to tune a stock twin car in TTC that has the same mods sans the MAF and with a set of 264 cams. That's going to be interesting for sure! I'll post numbers when we have them.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, we tried! The boost controller was apparently wired by the same monkeys who did the AEM install :lol: No matter what we did there was no effect! No power changes and no apparent boost changes,what a mess. It's flat out amazing how badly people will screw up aq job and then send the car out the door. <sigh>

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
this doesnt suprise me, earlier last year when Turbo Mag statrted their supra build up one of there first mobs was a DP/AEM/intake combo and they reachd very similar numbers....
But its definalt awsome when "one of us" does the same and brings it to the forums..
Thanks alot blkmgk

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
So, if I buy an AEM and get you up to NJ...can I hire BLKMGK to tune for less $ than Jason or Justin?! :D

I can sweeten the deal by letting you make some t-brake launches?!

Either way, nice tune, nice power...thanks man.
Jay

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VR4 - I'd forgotten about that actually. If I get the chance I'll try to verify if this car has anything weird going on. Short of bumping the boost though I think this is as much power as it was going to make at this level. It's supposedly going to go single and all out soon so it'll be interesting to see where we end up...

Philly - Lol, I don't make house calls! I've probably tuned about 4-6 cars other than mine though. Some just idle, some driveability, and a couple on the dyno. I actually hope to get at least one other stock twin car on the dyno - this one will have cams. He may go single first though so we'll see. As long as folks are willing to pay dyno time I don't mind playing - this is fun for me and a hobby. No promises on power output though! Oh, I've never done an automatic either but if it's a TH400 then no problem :p I've tuned enough Supra that I'm pretty comfortable with them and if there's folks in the area that need it I'm willing to work on them. However if the demand is great enough I may have to start charging something <shrug>

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cwtt said:
Wow! That is almost a rediculous amount of power for only 14psi and a MAF! :eek:

How much do BPU+ supras with AEM normally put down? Is this car a freak or what?
I'm not sure what is normal with an AEM on these cars, this is the most stock one I've ever tuned. The MAF was in place but only because we needed an IAT signal and something to attach the filter too :lol:

Before getting too excited though realize that there's a possibility that there's a BCC hidden away that limited the MAP signal to the AEM. Honestly it wasn't until folks thought these numbers were somehow out of the ordinary that it even occured to me that this might be possible. Since neither I nor the shop I was tuning at had done the AEM install and since the shop that did do the install was SO damned stupid it is remotely possible that there was a BCC in there from the previous OEM ECU that wasn't ever removed. No boost gauge so I cannot be sure but there's no way it was running alot of boost because with the way the AEM wastefires the ignition the silly OEM ignitor pulls dwell and it misfires at high boost. You have to run a DIS, CDI, or DLI to solve this and this car did NOT have any ignition help other than a fresh set of NGK plugs.

Honestly, I'd love to tune a BPU Supra to see what I could do with it but so far the only chances I've had to do that was off the dyno. Soon maybe as there are a couple of Supras around that fit that bill here local. If the owners want it and they pay the dyno time I'm willing and will post results afterwards :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
BLK, I'd check for a BCC.

I'd use a check valve and a pump. Pull off the hose from the MAP sensor, put a check valve on it and pump up the air pressure. Then check the AEM map pressure reading.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
The torque number is not particularly high compared to the horsepower number. This supports the low boost figures logged by the AEM.

·
Supra Fender Covers PM me
502 Posts
Blkmgk I have an auto TTC BPU+++ with 264s, 3800 stall. I have the AEM sitting in my closet, your really starting to make me think that i need to put that on before i go single. If you could keep me posted on the BPU tune your doing if it happens. I would be really interested.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TonyG said:
Blkmgk I have an auto TTC BPU+++ with 264s, 3800 stall. I have the AEM sitting in my closet, your really starting to make me think that i need to put that on before i go single. If you could keep me posted on the BPU tune your doing if it happens. I would be really interested.
Thanks
I have the tune I mentioned above and anyone is welcome to it. However it was a six speed and I've not ever tuned an auto - most of my cals have the settings for automatics pulled out actually. I do think that going with the AEM before going single is a good idea, especially if you're going to be tuning on your own. It's much harder, although not impossible, to hurt the motor on the stock twins. This might be a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the AEM...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a 98 and on 110 and mods in my sig mine did 412 and 475 ft lbs on a dynojet on a 5th gear pull. still have maf, stock sidemount, etc. this was on17-18 PSI

I have BCC, DP, Profec B, EGR block off plates, and upgraded clutch, I now have a a/f controller but that pull did not have it.

I also have the max air box now which I didnt have for that pull.

·
No Ego or Arrogance!!!!!!
744 Posts
RE:

That its great BLKMGK now tune my,same mods but my got 264 cams will see, stay tune everybody. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts