Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Member Thingy
1,274 Posts
since you are on the AEM, I highly reccommend an LED or warning buzzer which can sound if your air/fuel mixture runs lean, or your temp goes too high, or you lose oil pressure, etc.

It is easy to wire up, and easy to control. I have LEDS wired up for if at any time my A/F mixture hits 12.0 + while over 5 psi, if my EGTs exceed a given limit, if my boost spikes, or my fuel pressure drops suddenly, etc.

These little warnings allow you to drive without having to constantly monitor gauges and allow you to focus on the road ahead. If there is a problem, you will know instantly as a bright LED kicks off which will instantly grab your attention. I have them color coded, red for air/fuel, yellow for EGT, blue for coolant temp, etc.
That way I can make a split second decision as to whether or not the problem is critical, or if I can wait to get off the gas. Very helpful, and one of the best mods i've ever done.

Kevin Hoare apparently sells a box tied in with his AEM function display which allows for six outputs, so six differrent variables can be measured, and set to trigger warning indicators much like I described above. The AEM is limited to two on its own I believe.

· Member Thingy
1,274 Posts
I tend to keep my eyes on the track and a little LED just isn't going to catch my eye, especially in a sunny day.
I understand, I have 2 bright LEDs (the brightest I could find) for each sensor. They are in the dash just around the tach, and when they light up, even on the brightest of days, it's like someone shining a laser in my eye. Just make sure you get the right LEDs if you end up doing something like this.

The ignition-kill feature shouldn't be that hard to incorporate I imagine, I was going to try this earlier, but never got around to actually putting it in. I hadn't thought of staggering it higher than the normal warning, something which might be a great idea for my purposes. It gives you time to correct before actually killing the engine. Thanks for the idea.

Has anyone been able to datalog A/F mixtures over a 20 minute track session? Or has had a wideband display to watch? It would be interesting to see real-world AFR's on track, under high engine load, heat, boost, stress, etc over time. Has anyone noticed change in over time?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.