Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a few issues with the V2 with my TT auto.

Car is running a Titan 3200 stall with coolers, OEM transmission.

1)Has AEM found/fixed a patch up for the auto transmission not shifting at WOT. No matter what the tuner did it would either hit redline or shift way too early. I know you guys where working on it...but I have been out of the loop for a while.

2)After I installed the V2, i noticed my Manual shift mode does not work. It can downshift, but wont go through the gears. This is either in wot or just normal driving.
Is this a common issue?

Not sure if my tuner knows much about the AEM on auto, but right now it drives much worse on the AEM, and i only gained a whopping 10 rwhp. the Power gain is not worth the driveability....maybe you can help.

FYI the tuner did not use any type of line pressure equipment, so I dont know how one would monitor the correct shift points etc

Please advise

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had run into the same issues with mine at WOT, the only way I got it to shift was slowly lowering the shift points at wot, mine only does it on the 1rst to second gear shift then it upshifted early to 3rd then to over drive without actually goin thru second or third gear completely. I talked to a few people and was told it was either the box or the tune, so I called AEM tech support and verified that it had the proper updates.

I messed around with the WOT gear delay, A/T shift retard max and a couple other things, when I was able to get the trans to shift and stay on 2nd gear at wot. I also had the 1st to 2nd gear shift set to about around 4000rpm and the trans shifted around 6500rpms. I have not messed around with the line pressures at all either.

I remember reading some where it was due to the clutches slipping too much during the shift? don't quote me on that one

mine does the same thing with the manual shift mode so must be normal?

my car drives fine under normal driving and only has issues at wot

I had suggest to find someone that can set it up for properly other wise your trans will not last, also for what I have read they seem to go once you get around the 500whp mark

hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I am using the V2 on my 4L80E and I have no issues on WOT shifting. Also, manual mode works fine but as I recall it didn't work when we first tried it but after twiddling with it along with AEM tech support we got it running. Don't recall what the issue was, but maybe John Reed does.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This issue is ridiculous, also have this problem (30-6100).. and they have failed to deliver once again.... there excuse is the auto supra they were using needed to be returned..... AEM should refund owners their money, and we'll all go buy Pro-EFI.... AEM fooled me for the last time...... It's hilarious they sponsored the SF forum, when support on AEM Forum is horrible lol.... call it ranting, but it's true....

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is an issue that has plagued my car too and I've tried a few different things that did help. After talking with a Toyota transmission guru here on the Forums, I increased my line pressure. I did so by REDUCING the duty cycle in the A/T LPress 1 Duty table. Mine is currently at 50% duty cycle at 0% TPS and decreases linearly to 10% by 50% TPS. I'm not saying that this is going to work for anyone else necessarily but it does makes a nice FIRM shift for me especially while shifting manually.

The other thing he recommended was to eliminate the Shift Retard. I know this is counter intuitive but.. it did help because the delay on my car NEVER happened when it was supposed to. It was always early or late and I do see how this would do more harm than good especially while bringing the timing back in while the transmission is still trying to shift from 1st to 2nd. I did so by setting the A/T Shift Rtd max value to 0 (simply turning the feature off doesn't seem to work).

The last thing is wheel spin. My wastegate spring is stiff enough that even with my boost turned all the way down it still makes around 15 psi and I break traction every time shifting from 1st to 2nd at WOT. I can't really think of a way any transmission wouldn't try to shift into 3rd when this happens unless it's held into 2nd gear, because as the engine is up against the rev limiter and the throttle is wide open the ecu is going to command a shift until the RPM's are back below the WOT shift point.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had any luck with similar settings.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be booking with John Reed early 2014, just could not find time last year....Hopefully he can get it all in order

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
This is an issue that has plagued my car too and I've tried a few different things that did help. After talking with a Toyota transmission guru here on the Forums, I increased my line pressure. I did so by REDUCING the duty cycle in the A/T LPress 1 Duty table. Mine is currently at 50% duty cycle at 0% TPS and decreases linearly to 10% by 50% TPS. I'm not saying that this is going to work for anyone else necessarily but it does makes a nice FIRM shift for me especially while shifting manually.

The other thing he recommended was to eliminate the Shift Retard. I know this is counter intuitive but.. it did help because the delay on my car NEVER happened when it was supposed to. It was always early or late and I do see how this would do more harm than good especially while bringing the timing back in while the transmission is still trying to shift from 1st to 2nd. I did so by setting the A/T Shift Rtd max value to 0 (simply turning the feature off doesn't seem to work).

The last thing is wheel spin. My wastegate spring is stiff enough that even with my boost turned all the way down it still makes around 15 psi and I break traction every time shifting from 1st to 2nd at WOT. I can't really think of a way any transmission wouldn't try to shift into 3rd when this happens unless it's held into 2nd gear, because as the engine is up against the rev limiter and the throttle is wide open the ecu is going to command a shift until the RPM's are back below the WOT shift point.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had any luck with similar settings.

What kind of line pressure are you seeing??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just received my AEM series 2 from getting the latest and greates hardware transmission mod and now the "MANUAL" mode does not work and the transmission is shifting from 1st gear straight into overdrive. The car is actually shifting worse now than it was before the ECU was sent back for the update modification. IMO it was really a Waste of money shipping to and from plus the $75 fee for testing and inspecting thier own product that was never working correctly to begin with. What a RIP OFF!!!!! We live and we learn, currently looking into another EMS system that can get the job done without having to send back the unit for updates.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not to smart with the computer/tuning side of things, but If i have the wrong firmware, is that something that can be changed via laptop (download etc), or do I have to send it back to AEM for them to change it.

Man kind of wish i just stuck with my map ecu, that whopping 10rwhp increase with the AEM is not even worth all this headache.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Im not to smart with the computer/tuning side of things, but If i have the wrong firmware, is that something that can be changed via laptop (download etc), or do I have to send it back to AEM for them to change it.

Man kind of wish i just stuck with my map ecu, that whopping 10rwhp increase with the AEM is not even worth all this headache.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtvXK1wOmzc&sns=em

·
Registered
149 Posts
Update!!!!
I changed the Firmware version on my EMS back to 01V24 and took the car for a drive around the block and it drove and shifted fine for approximately 10 miles. While cruising 45-50 mph all of a sudden the engine started free reving as if the transmission was neutralized, so I pulled over and shut the car off. I checked my loggs and everything looked fine. So I started the car and continued driving but the transmission is not shifting out of 1st gear, even if I switch to "MANUAL" mode. Had to call someone to tow me back home. Will double check my loggs and everything else again this evening and try driving it again.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts