Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

So recently I saw an AEM V1 series pop up for sale locally for around $600.
Which got me to thinking, is it really still worth buying an old, used version of this when their are options like MAPecu3 and other piggyback/EMS' that have been invented the last 14 or so years since the V1 came out?
Would I need to be worried about connections failing over time? I also always hear people talk about cold start/dead spark issues with the V1 and it makes me skeptical.

Yes, I've tried to doing some comparison searches but haven't really seen this topic brought up recently to reflect changes in technology.

Thank you everyone in advance!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've seen them from 400-600 it really just depends on if anyone wants one. If your on a budget and you really really want to go standalone I guess it makes some sense. Especially because all modern stand-alones cost 1400-2000 and beyond.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94Auto,

I could probably barter with him and get it for 550/500 if he doesnt sell it soon. I just wonder if for that price, If I would be better off with MAPECU3...I'm currently 95% stock and don't really need it just yet, but I intend to go single eventually.

I also would need to grab a serial cable or whatever else is needed to make it work. I'm honestly not sure if they need like a harness or any of that or if the serial cable is good enough. Everyone here in Japan seems to like using the F CON's for some reason and that's usually the only things I see pop up for sale so it caught my eye when I saw the AEM V1 available.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I mean for 90% of people a standalone is overkill. People have been making 800hp with a stock ecu and a vpc and safc. Standalone starts to shine if you want to go above stock redline or run big injectors and e85. I think for your purpose the mapecu3 would be best. Just because it's modern peice and has more tuning support. If most people in Japan have fcons then you might also run into issues finding someone to tune a aem v1

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
94Auto,

I could probably barter with him and get it for 550/500 if he doesnt sell it soon. I just wonder if for that price, If I would be better off with MAPECU3...I'm currently 95% stock and don't really need it just yet, but I intend to go single eventually.

I also would need to grab a serial cable or whatever else is needed to make it work. I'm honestly not sure if they need like a harness or any of that or if the serial cable is good enough. Everyone here in Japan seems to like using the F CON's for some reason and that's usually the only things I see pop up for sale so it caught my eye when I saw the AEM V1 available.
are you manual or auto?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
94 Auto,
Yeah that's kinda of what I was thinking as well. I just wonder if there is something about the AEM that makes it a "must have" over something like MAPecu3...

I have a 6 speed manual.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
also, something like a vpc/safc or mapecu is something you can tune on your own instead of relying on a tuner who usual charges around 400-800 price range

·
Administrator
8,791 Posts
If you plan on running under 1000cc injectors and making less than 700whp.... vpc/afc and stock ecu just plain works.

·
Registered
215 Posts
is VPC really necessary? doesn't the stock MAF support up to 600whp ish?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the fact that I have a JDM supra, with a MAP sensor instead of a MAF, make a difference?

My goals are in the 600 range...I will probably be going with around a PT6266 sized turbo, maximum being a 6466. I sincerely doubt I'll ever go above 700. I've never had anything over 425WHP so I'm *hopeful* that will keep me satisfied hahaha

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the JDM MAP sensor is only good for about 1 bar of boost?

if you are in Japan, just use a ROM tune + piggyback or something your local tuner is familar with. you can find plenty of used piggyback/rom tune ECU on yahoo auction.

Not sure how popular AEM is and how good Japanese tuner is with AEM in Japan, at least I have not heard a single word about AEM from any of my friends in Japan. Most of high end tuners in Japan use V-Pro, and for moderate power levels, ROM tune + piggyback gets the job done.

Stick with what your tuner is good for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts