Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, currently i have a vpc,safc,gforce ecu in the car..i am in the middle of getting my engine built with 9:1 pistons,rods,cams etc..car currently has a 6766 with 1000cc injectors which i am planning to leave on the car..my question is that i dont dyno or drag race..maybe 1 or 2 highway pulls but thats about it..my power goals will be 550-600 hp and planning to stay on pump gas 93 octane..i will not now or in the future exceed this HP..reason i am even doing a full rebuild if because my car currently has 181,xxx miles and i do a lot of long distance traveling..i was thinking of switching to a full stand-alone now but debating between the aem v1 and v2..i have a hks DLI on my car currently..for my goals and usage of my car do i really need to go V2? what are the advantages i would gain if i go with a v2 vs aem v1..i see aem v1 go from $400-600 the most now a days ..

·
Registered
263 Posts
From my understanding the V1 is about to be obsolete with no support for it anymore.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Street Lightz out of CA services the V1 still. $225

For your HP goals, a stand alone may be overkill. The V1 is still a decent box, just doesn't offer a flex fuel option(which doesn't sound like you care about always)or the nice fail safe features of newer units.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i figured i would of just went standalone because with my mysterious gforce ecu and who knows if my vpc will fail soon ..i do a lot of driving and just wanted something more reliable..its not a day i dont play around with my set up to correct my afr

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, that'd be a pain in the ass. I've been looking at newer options as I bought my car with a V1. I'm going 10:1 soon so I will need a flex fuel option. Plus I want something that will better protect my engine.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your case i would just go with a pro-efi or haltech elite..but ofcourse others would say go what your tuner is more comfortable with which is true

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
From my understanding the V1 is about to be obsolete with no support for it anymore.
AEM's support is a complete joke either way- so that should not impact ops decision. If you want to run e85 and stick with aem, you need to go with the v2. If you want to control an auto and stick with aem, you need to go w/something totally different like the infinity series. Infinity 6 should do everything the v2 does and more and it's cheaper.

Proefi is awesome, but they lock a shitload of features including self tuning out that need to be unlocked by "licensed tuners" only which really dissuades me as an IT Guy for something you pay so fucking much for. I also think that proefi is mad overpriced (for my budget for my "4th fun car") for what you get once you add in all their sensors, harness, etc.

I'm really interested in ECU master and would love to test it out- but have the v2 and no budget for testing another system. It'd be nice if someone who had access to other systems and no interest in the other systems did a comparison to get this thing going in the US which is the largest market.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Go with infiniti or v2 for price/performance. But for your goals, a piggyback is probably best.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
At the end of the day it all comes down to your tuner. I think for your setup you are going to be sacrificing some driveablity and some reliability if you don't go to a stand alone. I don't have any personal experience but I have heard lots of horror stories about the V1 and the V2 in terms of hardware issues. At this point the fact that the V1 is no longer supported doesn't mean much to me personally as the platform likely isn't changing but the hardware issues are concerning.

Seems to depend who you talk to but some people claim the infinity idles better and is smoother due to the faster processing power of the unit. I was a bit surprised when I found out the infinity for the Supra would be less expensive than a new V2. I personally am opting for an infinity because of it's flexibly and longer term capabilities. I currently have no plans to run E85 or rolling antilag but it's nice to know I can. Also with the infinity when you make a minor changes such as injectors, it's only a matter of telling the ecu the new injector size and it should calculator on it's own. With the V2 this would likely mean a complete new tune. Also the infinity is made by a different company than the V1 & V2 so it doesn't seem to be plagued with hardware issues.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
but I have heard lots of horror stories about the V1 and the V2 in terms of hardware issues. Also the infinity is made by a different company than the V1 & V2 so it doesn't seem to be plagued with hardware issues.
What hardware issues have you seen reported with the V2? Any links? V1 had the EPROM chip that would come loose, so people would have to re-seat it and glue it down to eliminate that issue. Cold solder joints are another reported one. In every case of hardware issues reported with any standalone, though, it's almost always a setup or wiring issue. I've had my hands on a lot of V2s, and even more V1s, and have not seen hardware issues beyond the V1 EPROM chip.

Boosting94TT, V1 isn't bad. In fact, it has a ton of features. The V2 expands on it greatly. Particularly with boost control and wheel speed traction control, but there's much more. Read here for some info on this. The Infinity 6 isn't really cheaper after you factor the patch harness. Feature wise, it's a little better and a little worse than the V2. Infinity will still get updates but judging from past experience with AEM, I wouldn't expect anything too extraordinary or timely. They promised grand future updates for the V2, and they came, but only after a LONG wait. Any standalone will start, idle, and drive great with a good tuner so find one of those and get his recommendation!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
What hardware issues have you seen reported with the V2? Any links? V1 had the EPROM chip that would come loose, so people would have to re-seat it and glue it down to eliminate that issue. Cold solder joints are another reported one. In every case of hardware issues reported with any standalone, though, it's almost always a setup or wiring issue. I've had my hands on a lot of V2s, and even more V1s, and have not seen hardware issues beyond the V1 EPROM chip.

Boosting94TT, V1 isn't bad. In fact, it has a ton of features. The V2 expands on it greatly. Particularly with boost control and wheel speed traction control, but there's much more. Read here for some info on this. The Infinity 6 isn't really cheaper after you factor the patch harness. Feature wise, it's a little better and a little worse than the V2. Infinity will still get updates but judging from past experience with AEM, I wouldn't expect anything too extraordinary or timely. They promised grand future updates for the V2, and they came, but only after a LONG wait. Any standalone will start, idle, and drive great with a good tuner so find one of those and get his recommendation!
Well from the sounds of things, you definitely know more about them than I do, I'm just going off what I've heard and remember seeing. I had a friend of mine that had to send his V2 back for a connection issue however it could have been rare and perhaps a few bad V2s made it appear on the surface that is was unreliable like the V1. If you google V2 problems they aren't hard to find but not knowing particulars on the vehicle it's hard to say how many of the issues are actually hardware related. From what I've seen on the infinity I believe the hardware has been good, a few updates were required out of the gate but many people reporting problems that I saw where also running Beta units. I have seen people move away from the infinity but only due to limitations with the box in terms of their specific project requirements. Currently, it seems to me that those running the infinity and not expecting it do things that it can't are quite satisfied with the unit. You're right the patch harness does add the cost but I'll be ordering a custom harness for my build regardless what ecu I went with so for me the cost is the same.

It is my understanding if you have a tuner that is very capable on the V2 and has never used an infinity before than a 100% tune on a V2 is going to outperform (in terms of drive-ablity) a 90% tune on an infinity. However if the tuner is capable of dialing in both boxes to their maximum efficiency than the infinity will be a better unit. Also a 90% tune on an infinity should out perform a 90% tune on a V2 due to it's ability to self adjust to some extent. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If you google V2 problems they aren't hard to find but not knowing particulars on the vehicle it's hard to say how many of the issues are actually hardware related.
I'd suspect next to none. I think you may be finding posts about wiring and setup issues from people who have no business wiring or setting up something as complex as a standalone. With these systems so inexpensive, they wind up in the hands of a LOT of those people! lol I can tell you from personal experience that V2 is excellent hardware. The Infinity had some issues, but the last firmware fixed them. Biggest issue with the V1 was the chip that needed to be glued down to no longer be an issue.

It is my understanding if you have a tuner that is very capable on the V2 and has never used an infinity before than a 100% tune on a V2 is going to outperform (in terms of drive-ablity) a 90% tune on an infinity. However if the tuner is capable of dialing in both boxes to their maximum efficiency than the infinity will be a better unit. Also a 90% tune on an infinity should out perform a 90% tune on a V2 due to it's ability to self adjust to some extent. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
I'm not sure how to rate a tune at 90% or 100%, but I think it would be true to say a half-assed setup and tune on any standalone is going to perform in a half-assed way. V1, V2, Infintiy... any ECU will give virtually the same driveability with a proper tune. There are tables in the Infinity that allow for compensation with changing fuel pressure that the V2 doesn't have. So, if someone goes with a crap fuel system that can't keep proper base fuel pressure then this may be a benefit. V2 and Infinity both have low fuel pressure safety, so a failing fuel system won't kill the motor. Beyond this, there's no self adjusting going on in the Infinity that's not happening in the V2. V1 doesn't have all the safety features the V2/Infinity does.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I wouldnt go V1 as there are more modern ECU's available like the Ecumaster EMU. I'd actually consider getting the EMU instead of an AEM V2 if I were buying ECU's now. What's the AEM V2 price? Close to $2000? Then add map sensor and wide band... Ecu Master is $1375 and also plug and play, has an internal 4bar map sensor, internal wideband controller, VE fuel mapping, flex fuel, bluetooth android tablet for extra gauges (for $99 extra cost) etc.. Also AEM doesnt work with VVTi wihtout internal mods nor does with HALL sensors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts