Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running hall cam/crank sensors for about 10 years on my built 2jz-ge motor to allow the use of TT aftermarket cams on the GE head, but the V1 now has dated features. So, I've decided to upgrade to V2 to run e85 and figured someone might benefit by adding hall support to their V2. Here's what I did.

First, I created a simple circuit board with jumpers to allow either variable reluctance or hall. Then, I found through-holes on the main circuit board for the grounds and 5v sources for the resistors. I also had to solder the signal wires onto the surface mount pads after removing the surface mount resistors. And finally, I found a place to mount the board inside the V2 with external access to the jumpers.

I used 2.2k ohm resistors for the Hall 5v pull-ups and 4.7k ohms for the Variable Reluctance voltage dividers.

The attached images are all done from my phone; so, I apologize ahead of time if they don't come through.

Thanks,
-scott

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm from Russia, I saw that you are running the Hall sensors on 2 JZGTE, can you help me with calibration aem ems 2 for hall sensors ????

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As mentioned in the first post, I really wanted to run big cams on the GE head; so, that's the motivation. 10 years ago there were no big cam options for the GE head. Plus the car starts right up; consequently, there are no issues with signal integrity as is sometimes encountered with variable reluctance sensors.

I'm still running cam and crank off the exhaust cam gear using 12 north polarity rare-earth magnets and 1 south pole magnet. So, it requires a dual-pole Hall Sensor, and the effective number of crank teeth is 12 for a 720 deg engine cycle.

Anyway, the real purpose of my post, though, was simply showing how to add hall support on the V2 box. Unfortunately, I'm still on AEM V1 with plans to move over to V2, soon. However, I've seen aftermarket Hall sensor support for the GTE motor now and thought the community might benefit by this conversion. I'll post up results once I get the V2 integrated and running.

Thanks,
-scott

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
So whats with phrs claim that their hall sensors work with all aftermarket ecus??

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So whats with phrs claim that their hall sensors work with all aftermarket ecus??
That would only be true if PHR's hall sensors converted the output back to a variable reluctance-type signal. Obviously, not all aftermarket ECUs have hall support.

Im sure this thread would be gratefully received in the NA(T) sub forum :)
I did a long time ago, and the reception was mixed. At the time, regrinds weren't available, but that's changed.

This article is really about modifying the ECU even for GTE owners as some are converting cam/crank triggers from variable reluctance to hall.

Thanks,
-scott

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks Motorhead, I have the PHR sensors and aem v2. Any advice on what I would have to change on the ecu side to make these work?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
An update to aem v2 users (As mentioned briefly above)- you have to desolder your aem v2 to make the PHR sensors work. Their advertising is misleading at best, a lie at worst- they sensors will not work on a supra with aem v2 unless you mod your $$$$ ecu.

·
-Question Conjecture-
3,027 Posts
An update to aem v2 users (As mentioned briefly above)- you have to desolder your aem v2 to make the PHR sensors work. Their advertising is misleading at best, a lie at worst- they sensors will not work on a supra with aem v2 unless you mod your $$$$ ecu.
Where did your review thread vanish to?

·
Registered
1983 Mitsubishi Starion
2 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead... But, would you be willing to sell the board and cal file? Or perhaps make another board and harness so I can install it on my AEM V2?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts