Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

Any of you guys on here running water / methanol injection?

Just looking for some feedback from those that are running it. What kind of gains did you guys get etc

We don't have E85 here in Ireland, only got normal pump gas which says 95 octane but it probably is only 91-93 ron (not sure)

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Meth has a very low boiling temperature, so it ends up lowering the temperature of the charge air. Think of it like a supplement to your intercooler. You want to jet it prior to any sensors (IAT, MAF) unless you are using a full stand alone that can adjust your fuel and ignition maps when it triggers the jets upstream. Ideal placement for most setups is between the turbo and intercooler.
Yes, your 95 octane is lower than what is considered 95 octane in the USA. Do a search for 'octane RON MON' in your browser's search engine for more information.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car will be running an Ecumasters black ECU

Was planning on tapping it into the intake pipe about 6-8 inches from the Throttle Body

·
Registered
172 Posts
With that ECU you can inject on each intake manifold runner if you want. My brother is going 10 jets on his V8TT Nissan, one after the intake, one after the turbo, and one on each intake manifold runner prior to the valves. Get with a tuner that has access to a dyno and is familiar with meth injection setups.
I'm not using meth on anything so far, both high HP projects are still in the building/finishing phases.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am only planning on using the single nozzle just before the throttle body, I was not doing a direct port setup.

·
From the land down under
3,877 Posts
Woah!! 10 nozzles seems like a unnecessarily complex system, and with 90% more potential points of failure that a typical water/meth system. Very brave :eek:

·
Blue Thunder
3,487 Posts
Meth with only one nozzle has been proven effective on the 2jz. There's a post here detailing it somewhere. I know , because I got a kit once I read it. Now to put it in......3 years later. Search.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone able to post some results of before and after fitting the water injection to their Supra ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've ran water meth injection on many vehicles for years. I'll also be putting it on my Supra. Water meth will raise octane, lower IAT, suppress knock and essentially "steam clean" the intake manifold, valves and pistons. The kit I put on my compound turbo cummins will actually bring the IAT slightly below Ambient when injected.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is also another failure point placed in to the equation. I don't care what anyone says, running 35+psi on 94 octane + meth, and meth stops workign @ WOT, good luck. You can have all the fail safeguards in the world, nothing will be 100%. I purchased a kit, sold it a few months after untouched. run corn or a higher octane if you're trying to get more jam than what pump can give. I'm not saying it can't work, i'm saying it might not, and the risks are not worth the rewards IMO, especially if you have some good coin in the block.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Without starting an entirely new thread, has anyone tried just water injection?
I was thinking of running just water just for a bit of added cylinder cooling.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is also another failure point placed in to the equation. I don't care what anyone says, running 35+psi on 94 octane + meth, and meth stops workign @ WOT, good luck. You can have all the fail safeguards in the world, nothing will be 100%. I purchased a kit, sold it a few months after untouched. run corn or a higher octane if you're trying to get more jam than what pump can give. I'm not saying it can't work, i'm saying it might not, and the risks are not worth the rewards IMO, especially if you have some good coin in the block.

my 2 cents.
With a standalone ECU it is possible to not destroy a motor if the meth system fails. Fail safe do work even under wot and high boost. Won't always work but it's better than running without any protection.

@George89 Water only does work. Just make sure your nozzle sizes are good. Some newer production cars even use this now for extra inter cooling. Just don't rely on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have in the past. On my trip to SIV 2019 my truck went through 20 gallons of water meth from Colorado to Vegas and back. Half way back i ran out and ran straight distilled water. You will still get the knock suppression, intake cooling effect and cleaning effect but not the raised octane. For years i ran windshield washer on all my meth kits.

·
Registered
67 Posts

my 2 cents.
I don't rely on my meth kit alone so i guess i'm different. I run e-85 100% of the time but also run water meth to get a cooler intake charge and to keep the engine clean. If you have pulled a head off of a car that had a blown head gasket you know how well the water cleans everything, same goes for water injection. Obviously on my diesel the water injection fail safes aren't really needed. The fail safes on the newer kits are pretty good and work well. The AEM kits have a flow sensor which will tell the computer right away when flow is lost and pull timing or boost. Not to mention the knock sensors will pick up the knock and retard the timing.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Meth with only one nozzle has been proven effective on the 2jz. There's a post here detailing it somewhere. I know , because I got a kit once I read it. Now to put it in......3 years later. Search.
It's buried in the NM subforum for some reason:
Water/Meth 50/50 is so sick!

·
Blue Thunder
3,487 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm in the same boat, have had my kit for about 5 years now, haven't gone past opening the box. For one, my engine bay is more crowded than an underfunded animal shelter, and two, my car isn't sorted enough that I feel any need to chase extra power just yet.

As far as the potential goes though, anyone else remember seeing Andy Zimmerle's 240z dyno 487whp on a CT26 57 trim back in 2008? I was sold right then and there.

George, as others have mentioned, water alone can be used. Washer fluid is a cheap source of a mixture of water and methanol though. Couldn't hurt to check the label, it's possible that the formulas are a bit different on that side of the pond. Over here it tends to be methyl alcohol (30%) and distilled water(70%) but I have no idea if that's going to vary by region.

·
Registered
177 Posts
With seeing this thread I've gone ahead decided to finish my install. I have the pump mounted up front behind the bumper on the driver side (LH) rail. I wanted to get a long length vs high wise cylinder reservoir made that sits on top of the crash bar, but opted to use the windshield washer reservoir. I'll stick to using just washer fluid since I do still use it.

I'm still BPU and want to use it only because I've had it for about 10yrs now and it works lol
*Use the yellow/blue bottle of HEET Antifree and Water remover for a kick in methanol content

·
Registered
67 Posts
With seeing this thread I've gone ahead decided to finish my install. I have the pump mounted up front behind the bumper on the driver side (LH) rail. I wanted to get a long length vs high wise cylinder reservoir made that sits on top of the crash bar, but opted to use the windshield washer reservoir. I'll stick to using just washer fluid since I do still use it.

I'm still BPU and want to use it only because I've had it for about 10yrs now and it works lol
*Use the yellow/blue bottle of HEET Antifree and Water remover for a kick in methanol content
I stopped using washer fluid because the blue dye was clogging nozzles. I suggest you make your own, 50% meth and 50% water. It will work for the meth injection better and will work for your windshield .

·
Blue Thunder
3,487 Posts
I'm in the same boat, have had my kit for about 5 years now, haven't gone past opening the box. For one, my engine bay is more crowded than an underfunded animal shelter, and two, my car isn't sorted enough that I feel any need to chase extra power just yet.

As far as the potential goes though, anyone else remember seeing Andy Zimmerle's 240z dyno 487whp on a CT26 57 trim back in 2008? I was sold right then and there.

George, as others have mentioned, water alone can be used. Washer fluid is a cheap source of a mixture of water and methanol though. Couldn't hurt to check the label, it's possible that the formulas are a bit different on that side of the pond. Over here it tends to be methyl alcohol (30%) and distilled water(70%) but I have no idea if that's going to vary by region.
I know the feeling Brad ! I just finished my Aristo swap and still have to button it up AND do my r154 swap. So the meth kit is the farthest on my mind right now. LOL
Hopefully sometime this summer I'll get around to it. Once I remember where it is packed !

B

1 - 20 of 26 Posts