Supra Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I stopped using washer fluid because the blue dye was clogging nozzles. I suggest you make your own, 50% meth and 50% water. It will work for the meth injection better and will work for your windshield .
Interesting, I had no idea the dye causes issues. From what I understand, going more than 50/50 on the methanol side is a bad idea, correct? Though, I'm unsure of why that point is sticking in my head at the moment... flammability an issue beyond that mixture point, or simply a matter of diminishing returns?

Also, where do you get straight methanol? I can't say I've ever seen it at a store, but I live in a small town.

I know the feeling Brad ! I just finished my Aristo swap and still have to button it up AND do my r154 swap. So the meth kit is the farthest on my mind right now. LOL
Hopefully sometime this summer I'll get around to it. Once I remember where it is packed !

B
That last 10% is always the longest part of a build... If I get my car done to my satisfaction before the mortgage is paid off, I'd say I did well enough haha! :p

As for where things are packed, a marker does wonders for helping you remember what is in a particular box, at a glance. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I buy 5 gallon pails of it from a local distributor here. I'm sure you could also order it online. Most people don't go higher than 50/50 because it becomes more flammable. I mix mine with distilled water to stop the minerals from building up and clogging. Like I said I used washer fluid for years, the downside was it left a blue stain inside intercooler pipes and I found it clogged the nozzles after a while. Besides that it worked great. I used to "spike" it with a bit of "heet" from Walmart to up the content.

Interesting, I had no idea the dye causes issues. From what I understand, going more than 50/50 on the methanol side is a bad idea, correct? Though, I'm unsure of why that point is sticking in my head at the moment... flammability an issue beyond that mixture point, or simply a matter of diminishing returns?

Also, where do you get straight methanol? I can't say I've ever seen it at a store, but I live in a small town.

That last 10% is always the longest part of a build... If I get my car done to my satisfaction before the mortgage is paid off, I'd say I did well enough haha! :p

As for where things are packed, a marker does wonders for helping you remember what is in a particular box, at a glance. ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I buy 5 gallon pails of it from a local distributor here. I'm sure you could also order it online. Most people don't go higher than 50/50 because it becomes more flammable. I mix mine with distilled water to stop the minerals from building up and clogging. Like I said I used washer fluid for years, the downside was it left a blue stain inside intercooler pipes and I found it clogged the nozzles after a while. Besides that it worked great. I used to "spike" it with a bit of "heet" from Walmart to up the content.
Appreciate it bud. I just realized we have a fuel distributor locally that sells race fuel, mostly for the stock car guys. I bet they could get methanol... Although, I have a gas station with E85 less than a mile from the house, so, I'm blessed with options! :)

Can't say I've ever looked at what's in a bottle of Heet, although we do have a case of it at work. Turns out diesel and well below zero temps don't always cooperate haha.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Heet is straight up meth

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Purchased my AEM kit last night.

For those of you guys using this, is it worth fitting a larger tank for the boot?

Probably a stupid question but how long would the basic AEM tank last when full of methanol?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It depends on what your purpose is. Gonna be on the street making pulls some times or drag racing at the strip a few times a month then don’t waste your money. Probably good to refill once a month or more. If you want to run it for laps at a track then you’d need to calculate how much you’ll need and get the right size accordingly

21 - 26 of 26 Posts