Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's running this combo? Not just the solenoid, but actually still using the AVC-R to control boost. I know most people will say to just sell it and hook up the selenoid to my AEM (now installed).

Jason Siebels and Don @ 3R-Racing recently installed and tuned my AEM on a dyno here in Denver. They couldn't get the AVC-R to boost past 20psi. On the (prior) alphabet soup, I had NO problem reaching over 28psi. Don re-wired the AVC-R to the harness, using the mkiv.com tech-article diagram, so I'd assume it should work the same, but it's not.

I've heard one other local AVCR/AEM mk4 guy say he had the same problem but never resolved it. I think he just gave up and is using the AEM for boost now.

Any ideas? I'd REALLY love to keep the AVC-R, since I can view other outputs on it, and I've gotten pretty good at using it on the fly. My car is in the shop getting a rollcage installed, so I can't play with it just yet, but wanted some feedback here. Tried searching and didn't come up with anything worthwhile yet. TIA.

On a happier note, I 'did' get over 600whp at only 20psi, with a VERY mild tune and stock cams/head/intake/etc. :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Was the dyno a Dyno Jet? and what Turbo kit are you using. I have had the same problem and for some reason we narrowed it down to the Dyno Jet not putting enough load on the car. Mustang Dyno I have no problem with boost.

Now on the street i can boost whatever i want but for some reason a dynojet will not let me.

BTW i am using a HKS EZ for boost. I have a aem also.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I have the AVC-R with AEM. We have set it up to 22 psi with no problem.
Didn't go any higher so maybe we just didn't see your issue emerge.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mad TKD said:
Was the dyno a Dyno Jet? and what Turbo kit are you using. I have had the same problem and for some reason we narrowed it down to the Dyno Jet not putting enough load on the car. Mustang Dyno I have no problem with boost.
Wow, that's a new one I haven't heard about before. It was a SuperFlow dyno they were using, fairly new. Haven't road-tested yet, will try when the rollcage is done. Thanks for the input so far, guys. My buddy has this same problem on the road though, hasn't even been on a dyno, so I'm guessing they dyno isn't the issue.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Does the AVC-R use an RPM input? If so it's likely needing a different signal input than what it's wired for. You may also be encountering issues with waste-fire if it's using an RPM signal. If you need an alternate RPM signal lemme' know and I can lookup the one I had to use for my RLTC - AEM calls it a signal for climate control and the MKIV RLTC article calls it an alternate RPM signal. Yes, it is actually used for climate control BTW ;)

G

·
I have *never* seen a significant boost problem with Supras on Dynojets. Maybe 1-2psi, but definitely not 8psi. With a high torque diesel, you need to make sure the Dynojet has Load Control which is a $1500 option, but the Supras can all make high boost on a Dynojet. If your boost has dropped from 28psi to 20psi something else is wrong. I would double and triple check all the settings on the AVC-R.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sean McElderry said:
I have *never* seen a significant boost problem with Supras on Dynojets. Maybe 1-2psi, but definitely not 8psi. With a high torque diesel, you need to make sure the Dynojet has Load Control which is a $1500 option, but the Supras can all make high boost on a Dynojet. If your boost has dropped from 28psi to 20psi something else is wrong. I would double and triple check all the settings on the AVC-R.
Yep, I've made multiple runs at 28psi on two different Dynojet dyno's in Colorado (one new, one old), both were fine. I'll check the settings as soon as I get the car back from the cage fabricators.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I got the car back from Saridea Engineering (made my cage). Car boosts just fine. The AVC-R even saw up to 1.84kg/cm2. I didn't push it though. I ran rock-solid 1.70kg all weekend racing. I think maybe Jason and Don didn't have one of the AVC-R params setup right, who knows, I reset it and started from scratch. Good news, now I can keep my dash-mounted blingy boost controller, heheh.

(Also beat a 700whp '03 KenneBell Cobra 2/3 of times, heheh)

·
How does my exhaust smell
1,012 Posts
No problems with my AVCR and AEM. I prefer it visually, and like the extra control. If you are using any of the advanced features of the AVCR (boost based on RPMS, or gearing) make sure that the AVCR is reading the correct RPMS. That is pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know the avc-r does speed and gear based and the aem can do speed based but not gear based. So is it worth using the avc-r even when you have the aem?

G

·
legend4life said:
I know the avc-r does speed and gear based and the aem can do speed based but not gear based. So is it worth using the avc-r even when you have the aem?
Both the AVC-R and the AEM control boost very well. I honestly don't have a preference when I'm tuning. If you like the AVC-R's display, keep it. If you want a stealth approach, use the AEM :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Why would I care about gear based vs speed based? :dunno: I like the fact that my boost control cost me all of $30 tops and holds rock steady with no silly box to mount on my dash :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
You may not want to run it but people with traction problems often need gear based boost control to run lower and a specific boost for each of the lower gears Speed based is not as specific becuase if you are in a higher gear for the same speed it may not be the optimal boost level for that gear. This probably applies more to fwd cars like Honda's and such due to worse traction problems.

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
legend4life said:
You may not want to run it but people with traction problems often need gear based boost control to run lower and a specific boost for each of the lower gears Speed based is not as specific becuase if you are in a higher gear for the same speed it may not be the optimal boost level for that gear. This probably applies more to fwd cars like Honda's and such due to worse traction problems.
If your in 2nd gear from say 35-65 mph you set 35-65mph to what you want your second gear boost to be, no? Does that not achieve the same thing?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gixxer_drew said:
...and pulling boost with knock detection, etc
This would be one of my MAIN reasons to lose my AVC-R. But for now I like my "silly little box", it's trick. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
gixxer_drew said:
If your in 2nd gear from say 35-65 mph you set 35-65mph to what you want your second gear boost to be, no? Does that not achieve the same thing?
Yes but what if you are going 40mph in 3rd and hit it. You would want full boost for 3rd gear but would be stuck in the lower boost set for 2nd gear.

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
How did you guys get the AVCR to vary boost by that much? No matter how hard I tried if I got more then 15psi off from the main boost target it would start fluctuating all over the place. I kept looking for a place to set the boost target per each gear and I couldnt track it down...

legend4life: I can see why you would want it in that situation. I guess for me if I am going WOT to where I would have traction problems I would always also want to be in the gear where I apply the most torque but I keep thinking from a race only point of view. I can see how that would be bad street car manners. You would get about half way through 3rd and slam up to the higher boost setting.

I was just thinking, if you have an auto I think you could set up gear based, because you have a gear sensor to use as a trigger...

THeres got to be a way to do it on a 6speed...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Pretty sure the AEM won't do gear based on an auto or 6spd. The AEM DOES know what gear you're in even without an input BTW but only if you set it up correctly.... mine is setup correctly ;) Traction not a problem between good tires and an RLTC but the AEM Trac Control also works well (and is gear based) but is harder to setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts