Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my AEM for my 94 Supra. The computer will not link up to my lap top consistently, I have had the AEM for 3 weeks and I has only been online 3 times. The 3 times it has been online the car reads at full throttle and heavy engine load, problem with the TPS sensor is fixed, so I put the AFC back on the car everything is fine but it says ecu of line, I went back and soldered all of the lines to make sure and same result. So I think everybody needs some help sometimes so I called AEM for some pointers and trouble shooting advice, get this, the head tech at AEM Henry, told me to "just giggle the wiring harness and that should fix the problem." I said excuse me he said yeah just giggle it, I said is that it, he said yeah thats it. I don't know about anyone else but I have a huge problem with that, for the money I paid for this unit and accessories, that answer is unacceptable to me. Let me know what you think, sorry for the rant.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Well, AEM is only able to give you tech support on thier product, not your engine harness.

Regarding the laptop not linking consistently, do you have a V1.19 basemap in the EMS? If so you need to disable telemetry to be able to connect to the EMS all the time. Until you do that, it will only be able to connect for the first few seconds after the ignition is turned on.

A good AEM tuner in your area would be able to help you with your harness problem and get you up and running smoothly. It may be worthwhile to start looking around for one.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
If you dont have any loose ends in your wiring harness there should be no problems as far as that goes. Are you using a series to usb? If possible try straight serial. You can also open the EMS up to check if the eprom came loose next to the serial connector. If not call Henry back and let him know you tried what he asked you to try and some

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The First thing I would look at would be the laptop. Any port conflicts on the computer (ie meaning not exceeding USB or have available COM port available)? Can you establish a connection with the AEM via the COM port using hyper terminal or is not responidning? Using a USB to com adapter?

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using the USB serial bridge and I have loaded the software for the bridge. The laptop is brand new and it doesn't have a straight serial port. Even after a the ignition is on the AEM continues to say ecu off line. I will go back and try to disable the telemetry like you said. I know they can't control my harness and we went back and checked all the wires and soldered them all again, but my problem is with the "just giggle it" would that not piss you off?

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
if you miss wired your Map sensor, temp sensor, or AFC the ecu will not connect. Start working backwords disconnecting your recent modifications.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if you miss wired your Map sensor, temp sensor, or AFC the ecu will not connect. Start working backwords disconnecting your recent modifications.
Yes it will with a map sensor at least. My car accepted maps, and started and ran, even when we didnt know the signal wire for the map was somehow put in the tq converter lockup pinout, I do have a 6sp.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
USB to serial does not work well. It isn't an AEM problem, it is the adapters. Plenty of other serial devices suffer the same issues with USB to serial adapters. A PCMCIA serial card is a more stabe connection for a laptop without a serial port. I just got an old used laptop with a real serial port instead. It was cheaper than a PCMCIA card, works 100% of the time and saves the beating on the nice laptop.

I probably would have laughed if Henry told me to "just wiggle it". He is a good, knowlegable guy and fields probably 500 calls a week from people having problems other than the EMS he is there to provide support for. I have dealt with him enough to know what kind of questions I'm going to get a serious answer on though and those answers are worth thier weight in gold.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I used one of those usb-serial things on my wideband, worked a few times then did not work. then a few weeks later it did. Was with a new laptop. I have talked to many people with the same issues using those adapters. My next wideband will be usb all the way as new laptops dont seem to do serial thses days. I would ge a hold of a old style lappy with serial port.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Get away from the usb to serial adaptor. It is not 100% reliable. If all you have are usb ports, it is best to purchase a PCMCIA Com port card. I highly recommend Quatech brand. It has been reliable for me so far and it is also what Justin Nenni uses on his laptop.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Alright, I have never had a problem with my Belkin USB adaptor. Some people just don't understand how they work, so they should not have an AEM anyways. The majority of the time when you load the USB driver software, it will only link it with the specific COM port you plug your adaptor in the first time. If you don't know what COM port you are plugged into then go to the device manager on your computer. We need to follow technology, not run from it back to the serial stone age.

Why did you put the AFC back in the car? Never heard of anyone trying to run a Piggy back on top of the AEM. I bet it's pissed and cussing at you. Again, reverse your modifications back to when the ECU would connect to trouble shoot your problem. The ECU is probably fine. I had my MAP sensor wired backwards and it would not connect.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I used to use Quatech but they are pretty frail and expensive. After it failed I bought an Iogear USB > Serial model GUC232A and it has worked perfectly, is much stronger to abuse, and was far cheaper than the Quatech PCMICA.

FWIW to the kid that started this thread, your problem is most likely due to your pc's connection to aem rather than a faulty aem ems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am using the USB serial bridge and I have loaded the software for the bridge. The laptop is brand new and it doesn't have a straight serial port. Even after a the ignition is on the AEM continues to say ecu off line. I will go back and try to disable the telemetry like you said. I know they can't control my harness and we went back and checked all the wires and soldered them all again, but my problem is with the "just giggle it" would that not piss you off?
Your a idiot dude. Why are you so blown away by that comment "just giggle it". I would have told you to do the same thing if I tried everything else and couldn't figure it out and probly thought you just had loose connection.

Good luck on your problem, but CALM DOWN on trying to piss on AEM because the guy told you to "giggle it".

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
Your a idiot dude. Why are you so blown away by that comment "just giggle it". I would have told you to do the same thing if I tried everything else and couldn't figure it out and probly thought you just had loose connection.

Good luck on your problem, but CALM DOWN on trying to piss on AEM because the guy told you to "giggle it".
Nice first post. You responded to him the same way he responded to the AEM guy. Takes one to know one.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Shouldn't it be jiggle it not giggle? I know that doesn't help at all.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Shouldn't it be jiggle it not giggle? I know that doesn't help at all.
yep, bwahahahaha! I kept reading back to myself, "giggle?" In what part of the country do people use the word "giggle" instead of "jiggle?" hahaha, that was a good laugh :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts