Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking about picking up This Super AFC that is on ebay. I have heard some people say they think that the manual ones are better for tuning than the new digital models. Anyone have any experience tuning a manual AFC? Any opinions? I also like the price! I just keep on hitting FC and need something to tune my fuel with a little! I appreciate any input!

E

·
0 Posts
just to bring this alive i never heard of the new apex afc giving any problems only diffrence i heard is that the newer model has more options but the old style will tune a supra well and for the price not shabby at all

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
im not too sure on the older ones like that. Im sure it does the trick well. But I have never used it.
I am in the same boat becuase the digital ones everyone still wants a left nut for.
The upside to the digital is that it prob has more adjustment points on it.
I have worked with the newer ones before, but I dont have much info on the old ones other then assumption from looking at the face.

If anyone has info Id be interested also

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,708 Posts
I was able to get a newer version (blue face-4 buttons) for 150.00 used.

I think for the extra 40.00 it is better to go that way.

Don't forget about a Wideband either.

Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i have found some info on this... apparently this only allows 5 points of adjustment, and the box extrapolates the points in between... One of the adjustment points is at 7,000RPM, so that makes it effectively 4 points of adjustment. The electronic ones have 8 points, adjustable at 500 rpm increments. The GenII SAFC has 11 points. Also, all of the electronic ones allow you to set two maps, one for high demand and one for low demand, and based on those, it will make maps for in between, like half throttle. Also, this is exactly the same as what is built into a MAFT. So, for the money, it's really not worthwhile, since you could either spend the extra $50 and go electronic, or spend another $100 and get a MAFT (although if you go that route you have to get the MAF, couplers, etc., making it more like an extra $150-$200 depending on what MAF you get...)

In any case, I don't think I'll be getting this. I plan on doing a MAFT in the near future, and I would much rather have something with a display that I can read and get playback on, and have the other features on as opposed to a box with 5 dials.

As for the emanage, I haven't heard many people that have them say much positive about them, but, in GReddy's defense, that was mostly among Honda guys, and I don't know of any Supra owners who have them at all. Anyone who knows about them, I'd love to learn more!

·
Registered
582 Posts
well just to correct you on the safc...no matter what low throttle settings you make, the stock ecu will always override the settings you choose due to loop hole when its not in WOT. So just tune to WOT settings and the ecu will compensate its own map for low throttle.

charlie

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
theres alot of people running emanage and nothing but good things have been said with them! If u have the profec e-01 with it and the peak hold warning gauges ur in heaven!

·
6,015 Posts
what all is really needed for the emanage to work ?
I can get one now with the software for $250, maybe a few bucks cheaper. I just always steered clear of it becuase of stories with Honda owners and tuners that hated them. But they were used to REAL standalones.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
just the unit itself... the support tool is for ur lap top! if u have the profec e-01 u wont need the support tool. MkIIItech.com dr j and bishop have some info and what not on the e manage!

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,708 Posts
itr206 said:
what all is really needed for the emanage to work ?
I can get one now with the software for $250, maybe a few bucks cheaper. I just always steered clear of it becuase of stories with Honda owners and tuners that hated them. But they were used to REAL standalones.
If you can get an E-Manage with the cable and software for 250.00 climb all over it.

If not I'll be happy to buy it.

You can use the SAFC for closed loop to keep the Vf voltage proper so it doesn't mess up your open loop maps.

I just got my car out of the garage and will will be updating my old SAFC tuning thread shortly.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237569

Dan

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Don't get the old school AFC if you ever plan on getting anything bigger than 550 injectors. They never had a big enough range of adjustment for me. They can make adjustments, but not drastic enough for most people. That's why I'd save the extra 40-60 bucks and get the better ones that allow for a broader range of adjustment.

And like was already said, the low throttle settings will not be over ridden by your stock ECU if you tune it correctly.

·
6,015 Posts
at this point there is no use for an AEM.
Will the emanage be enuff? I guess it is better then the SAFC just do to the extra options, but not enuff options to compete with the AEM. Kinda in the middle?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts