Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a tricky one. when the weather outside is shitty, my AFM likes to act up and throw codes and the supra will run like crap.

i have the lex afm. thisis what it does, the car will jerk a bit and when i push the clutch in the car will stall. this morning it stall about 10 times on the way to work, but then all of a sudden it went normal again. i know it's the weather cause this is not the first time that this has happened. i also using a k&n filter.

with the car stalling i'll get a reading of 3-5 Hz for the karman sensor reading. when the car is running good; it will show about 23Hz. this is at idle and idle is where the car likes to die..

whne it's sunny and dry, the car runs like a dream. anyone else experience this?

W

·
0 Posts
i had the same sort of problem with mine because i removed the plastic thing that sits on the frame just above the air filter.. then i read in a post that is was there to keep rain out so i stuck it back on and no probs since.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
weege said:
i had the same sort of problem with mine because i removed the plastic thing that sits on the frame just above the air filter.. then i read in a post that is was there to keep rain out so i stuck it back on and no probs since.
can you post a pic of what youre talking about?

malloy my lexus does the same EXACT thing... i usually get out and bang it with a screwdriver until it idles normally again.... stupid rain!

W

·
0 Posts
this is about the best pic i could find...
you can see them in the bottom left and right corners, the black plastic strips that attach just next to the radiator.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I actually have this problem once in a while when it's wet out. It's weird as hell. I don't get stalling but power seems very limited under boost. It can get so bad that I won't lose traction in second. It only does it when it's completely wet and not if it's just damp. I was thinking it might be a connection somewhere that sees water if there is water on the road....or it could just be high rel. humidity affecting the AFM optics. :dunno:

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I had the same problem with my stock AFM, after the engine & engine compartment warmed up, the problem would go away. When I switched to my LEX AFM, I used the electronics that came with it (same p/n), and haven't had the problem since. The only thing I could think of was the electrics were getting old and touchy (didn't like the moisture).

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this, but my Supra hates the rain too. I honestly think I am getting at or less than half of my normal power...

Not only does it not run right (which after trial and error, I found out is because my AFM does not work) but it sounds exactly like a go cart...I mean a completly different tone that sounds NOTHING like a Supra...

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
well since you revived this... i just want to say im never drivnig my car inthe rain AGAIN.... stupid rain....makes my afm lose signal on and off...grrrrrrr

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's not the Supra, it's your tires. Talking from experience and someone who lives where it likes to rain alot.

·
Formerly Nosechunks
1,071 Posts
my car does same thing, thinkin its the one of the sensors in the afm, the one that senses density i think is messup up, and when the air gets humid and more dense it hits some kind of deap spot. and then after the humidity goes away and goes back to where it can read and its all good. i would always get a code, i dont reember witch one but it was the afm code.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts