Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and looking for the answer, I think my hesitation (herky-jerkiness) problems stem from the AFM being coated w/ K&N oil.

How often does this problem come up for you guys?

I'm going to check for codes tonight, but since the check engine light has never come on, I don't know if I will find anything at all.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
I havent kept up with your car Lancefloyd but have you done the basics??? The spark plugs and the wires are the first things to go on these cars, and the 7m's dont like the cheap spark plugs either. Made a near 25 hp difference on my car at the dyno after replacing the new bosh plugs with NGK's.

Kruso

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the basics are complete. In fact this engine is in EXCELLENT shape, with fresh seals, gaskets, spark plugs, wires, all that.

I found the culprit to the bad driving characteristics though...and it wasn't the AFM. The ISC hose that meets the accordian hose was leaking under hard driving, probably due to the fact that I had to twist the accordian hose a little to fit the PVC pipes I made. It was enough to prevent a perfect stock seal. Solution: I used some high grade clamps to force a seal to the accordian hose connection to the ISC. While I was at it, I pulled the little metal plug out of the AFM so I could get to the screw, and backed the screw out one turn, to get a smidge more fuel cut reserve.

All in all, car is running great again!

·
Unclipped Fury
767 Posts
the 80's electronics really suck sometime, i've been through 3 in the past few months,funny, it only acted up when its wet/moist/raining, other than that it would drive fine, got sick of it and just moved to a map ecu,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there anyways to clean the afm out when it gets gunked up??? like engine degreaser or just water or a rag and whipe it out\????

·
Unclipped Fury
767 Posts
dont even bother. Look on the forums for a new one or used one. Or just move to VPC or MAP ECU. The AFM problem will never leave you alone. CODE 31

1 - 9 of 9 Posts