Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 4 hours at the lexus dealership, dont worry it was recommended by a fellow SF member, these are the closest specs to the lance alignment he could get. a definite improvement from before and i must say between the new tires and the alignment, my heavy vibration above 65mph has been eliminated. so tell me what u guys think of these specs. thanks ryan

Front left Front right
actual before actual before
-0.9 -2.1 camber -0.6 -1.9
4 4 caster 3.4 3.4
-0.01 -0.14 toe -0.01 -0.17
9.9 11.1 sai 9.6 11
9 9 included angle 9.1 9.1

FRONT
actual before
cross camber -0.3 -0.2
cross caster 0.6 0.6
cross sai 0.2 0.1
total toe -0.01 -0.31

Rear left Rear right
actual before actual before
-1.7 -2.4 camber -1.2 -2.7
0.07 0.17 toe 0.1 0.63

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
what is your suspension, wheels, tires, etc setup??

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kinesis k58s 18x9 and 18x10.5
eibach pro kits on GAB shocks
245/40 on the front and 275/35 on the rear

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
what shop i might need to take mine there ...also how much?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took it to difeo lexus after kahlee ramos recommended it. actually, one of his friends did the alignment. it was 120 bucks even though it took 4 hrs. i was kind of weary while waiting if the service manager was going to make up some excuse for it being more but it was the price that was advertised. i may not have got the specs i wanted, but at least the guy tried

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
looks alright but Your spec's say that the car should drift to the right. with 6 10ths to the right. 4 hours is allot of time to align a supra. Maybe not used to the suspension, the rear can be kinda tricky. When you get it down it should take no longer than 45 mins.

lawrence

·
Registered
900 Posts
In my defense (I aligned Ryan's car)...

I wanted to adjust camber and caster to Lance W's specs,but I just ran out of adjustment. The eccentrics were already at the flats.

The biggest reason for the wait was a meeting with the general manager,all technicians had to attend. I was hoping it wouldn't take long so I could get back to work,but as usual he kept on talking and talking.

I spent extra time to make sure I didn't scratch his Kinesis wheels when mounting the alignment targets,which meant wrapping every mounting stud (16 total) with electrical tape.

It takes me less than 45 minutes to align a Lexus. 99% of them don't have lowered suspension so camber and caster are usually up to spec. And they don't require a 2 foot pipe to break the adjustment points loose :p

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ed_Alpha-Racing said:

I wanted to adjust camber and caster to Lance W's specs,but I just ran out of adjustment. The eccentrics were already at the flats.

The biggest reason for the wait was a meeting with the general manager,all technicians had to attend. I was hoping it wouldn't take long so I could get back to work,but as usual he kept on talking and talking.

I spent extra time to make sure I didn't scratch his Kinesis wheels when mounting the alignment targets,which meant wrapping every mounting stud (16 total) with electrical tape.

It takes me less than 45 minutes to align a Lexus. 99% of them don't have lowered suspension so camber and caster are usually up to spec. And they don't require a 2 foot pipe to break the adjustment points loose :p
Seem like you take care of things the proper way. Where are you in NJ?

-Corey

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ed_Alpha-Racing said:

That's great! I wish we had someone like you in Los Angeles. Do you think that any Toyota dealer knows how to align a supra?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yo Ed, just to set the story straight so theres no confusion, i wasnt mad or anything that it couldnt be perfect or it took so long. i had doubt that the car was being taken care of to my standards. actually, i really appreciate that you that extra time to try to get it as close as possible than just tryin a few times then giving up. so i hope you dont think i was ranting and raving about my experience. the car is handling great, my vibration that i had before it all gone now, no more bad tire wear. im a happy camper.

S

·
0 Posts
you know you can raise the vehicle take out the eccentrics and move them into a new position to get a better range for the vehicle. in the rear you need to play with the camber and toe since the both affet eachother in the rear keep averging them out and you'll get there. same with the front camber/caster. then set the toe 100% even. toe is the most crucial part of allignments.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
I perform a lot of alignments and I can say that you have a few problems with your alignment. Your cross caster, rear cross camber and rear toe is out. The MKIV uses an eccentric for all adjustment except for the ft toe which is a threaded adjuster like almost all cars. If you have an eccentric that has reached the maximum limit of adjustment you will need to support the crossmember with a pole jack and loosen the crossmember to body mounts and shift the crossmember. Then redo the alignment. I should be able to align your car within 1 hour and get better results. I'm not saying that your guys in incompetent but if a 4 wheel align takes 4 hours someone is not understand suspensions 100%

When I get thru a 4 wheel align the cross camber and cross caster is 0 deg difference. The toe is dead on specs. The camber and caster I do make changes from the OEM specs to the best that will work for either the driver or the car.

If a vehicle is lowered and the car is setup for street, the ft camber is normally increased from specs (more positive) but the rear is more decreased from specs to help cornering. The caster is also maxed out to enhance directional stability.

If the vehicle is set for drag, the alignment will really depend on the power its pushing and the amount of squat we get from it. A 4 link car like the MKIV will throw off the rear toe badly upon squat. Lift the nose on this car on power and the tires will fight each other.

If its set for road coarse the setup will probably use a lot of negative camber and positive caster. The toe will be adjusted according to the desire of the driver's understeer/oversteer control.

BTW, I don't see the setback. How far is your setback ? Everycar has a certain amount of setback. Although target is always 0 deg.

What alignment equipment was used ? Most dealers insist on using only Hunter alignment equipment. Was it the one with lasers from each head or the newest one with the flashing red LEDs ?

Joe.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Joe -
Like I said before,this alignment would've been done faster if it weren't for the meeting. I should have tried shifting the subframe etc. but I was already bound for time. Thanks for the constructive criticism though. It's a Hunter 811 system,so yes it uses LEDs and cameras instead of head-mounted lasers.

Ryan -
I didn't think you were angry about the time or results,if you did I'd probably have heard it from the writer already. I understand you asking people on SF about your results,given the same situation I would have too.
Since these guys here have pointed out some problems with the results,I'll ask my manager about realigning your car at no cost (no guarantees,but I'll try). I'll PM you once I hear from him.

M

·
0 Posts
SupraPnoi said:
That's great! I wish we had someone like you in Los Angeles. Do you think that any Toyota dealer knows how to align a supra?
ARE YOU KIDDING?! We have two of THE best alignment shops right here in SoCal- West End and Johnson- what more do you want? For sure they'd get spot-on numbers side-to-side blindfolded.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Ed, I'm offering you my sincere apologies for what I had said. I also did not put into consideration that the car was lowered or modified. I had read only a part of the thread and based my opinion only on this rather than what you had posted. It takes a lot for techs nowadays in dealerships to provide the care that Ed did for Ryan's car. Most wouldn't have cared about the wheels and would have stopped after a couple hours of work into the vehicle regardless if they made the alignment any better or worse. The main purpose for me posting here was for Ryan's benefit not and for bashing Ed. Once again, I'm sorry about that.

The Hunter 811 system is state of the art. Although, ours requires servicing currently and the Hunter service guy works at the pace of the government.

A lowered car creates a problem with the tech who is aligning the car due to the eccentrics reaching their limit and running out of adjustment. When this happens the only way to place it into specs is to either :

1: raising the vehicle
2: instaling a custom suspension offset kit
3: making new suspension components
4: modifying or shimming the suspension

While perfecting the alignment is everyone's goal, the amount that the vehicle is out from specs is marginal. Ryan, the handling of your car will still be considerable better than what it was based on the specs you have there. If you cannot get it into the specs and the handling of the car is acceptable then it would better if you simply left it alone and paid a close examination every few hundered miles to the tires tread to inspect the wear. Most guys already know vehicles with wishbone suspensions do wear more on the inner edge than the outer. What you need to look for is rapid tire wear rather than how even the wear is. Just like someone already mentioned before the toe is probably the most important part of handling. It tells where the tires are pointing.

Joe.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the confusion Joe. Your expertise in this area was greatly appreciated and considered. I must say that was the one good thing that came out of the alignment, that the wheels were taken care of and 110% was given to the specs that I desired. Would I been happier with a half ass job in 1 hr or so, definitely not. The car was taken care of and the effort was put in. Anyways, I had nowhere to go, hehe. Overall, there was a huge improvement from before and my steering wheel vibration above 65mph is all forever gone for now so I'm a happy camper. I would take my car back to Ed for him to realign it anytime because I know the car was very taken care of and he's a good guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts