Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to know who out there has a 4runner with tow package and has towed there mkiii for long distance?

the reason:

i want to bring my supra to silv09, and im selling my super nice eg itr turbo hatch so i can get a 4runner and a bike. will the 4runner make it to vegas with the supra in tote????

·
Supra Poobah
1,391 Posts
We used to tow is300's down to socal with a 02 4runner sport with tow package, after a few times it felt a bit wimpy going over the grapevine so we supercharged it, then the brakes felt lacking. One trip down we bought a new Sequoia from Carson Toyota back in 03, still have it to this day (wife's daily d). Also have the new 5.7 Tundra which is twice the truck.

I guess what I am saying is once or twice a year you are ok, anything more you need a better rig. If you can get an aluminum trailer then your all good, if its all steel you are at capacity.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It depends on the 4-runner and whether you are planning to flat tow or trailer it. It could be done w/a 4 cyl. 1st gen, but wouldn't be an enjoyable ride. You would want at least one w/the 3.0 and a 5-speed, or the 3.4 w/auto and transmission cooler.

If it is only to get the Supra to Vegas, you could rent a u-haul and trailer. We had to do this one year after a 4x4 trip in Johnson's Valley. A buddy broke his rig beyond being able to tow it home(600 miles away), so we rented a truck and trailer. It wasn't stylish, but it got the job done.

·
Banned
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to get the 95-97 3.4 tow package 4runner. ill remember that though, to add a better oilcooler.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are going to trailer it, make sure to use a trailer w/electric brakes, and install a brake controller in the cab. The trailer brakes will help you stop a lot better, a 5-6Klb trailer/Supra combo is going to want to push you a bit when stopping. The in cab brake controller will allow you to apply just the trailer brakes on long steep downhill grades to keep you from cooking the brakes, especially when toying w/an automatic transmission.

·
phreshness
253 Posts
i had a lifted 91 4runner v6 tow package and it could barely pull a steel trailer with an atv...:lol:

·
Registered
439 Posts
With an auto behind the 3.0, the 4-runners & trucks are gutless wonders, and if the tires and gears don't match it is even worse. However, with the 3.0, 5-spd and the right gears/tires, towing isn't that bad. I have had to towed 6klbs horse trailer w/2 adult horses on several occasions as well as a moving trailer and ski-boat. It wasn't too difficult to do, but not something that I would want to have to do on a regular basis, except for the ski boat. I could maintain 50-55 in mountain passes w/the ski boat, but anything over 3500lbs and the mountains weren't fun at all.

W/the 3.4 and a better power band it shouldn't be too bad, again wont be setting any records, and likely not al that fun if he has to pull mountain passes on the way to Vegas, but it should be doable. Unfortunately I haven't been in a Toyota w/the 3.4/auto when towing anything. The only similar experience I have was when a buddy towed an '85 Toyota 4x4 on a wood/steel trailer(about 5500lbs), w/his wife's '02 Rodeo. It was quite the experience, and one I wouldn't want to have to do again The V6 didn't have a problem pulling the weight(even got over 70 at times), but stopping was a whole other ball game. That weight of the truck and trailer pushed the Rodeo around something fierce. With the 3rd gen 4-Runner being heavier than the Rodeo, it should do a little better, even more so if he flat tows(w/d-line removed) the Supra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts