Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Im new to these forum and seem to have some problems with my car now.
Ive got an 87 Supra with a turbo. I blew the head gasket on it. There is 130k on the motor and it uses a little oil. In a perfect world I would have pulled the motor and re ringed it. But didnt have time. SO................. I took the head in to get worked on at my buddys machine shop. It was only spose to take a day or two. It took him almost a week. He was swamped with other repair work. I cleaned up the block and all other gasket surfaces. The head was rebuilt including valve guides. I reinstalled it on the motor. I inspected many of the numerous vacum lines, most seemed in good condition except on the exhaust side. So of those were brittle and I was having a hard time finding replacments at the local parts store. I choose to go the repair em way. The metal tubes which they connect to were given a thin coat of silicone I slid the vacume line back in place... sealed them with a little more silicone on the outside and gave them a good wrapping of black tape then reclamped the lines. I installed NGK Iridium Plugs ( BCPR6EIX ) ANd a new set of Belden plug wires. I checked and recheck the coil to plug matching they are correct. I was going to use the timing belt that only has 20k miles on it... Harmonic set 0 Both cams 0 (But, to get the timing belt to go in to its marks I had to advance the cams half a tooth each.) I filled it full of fluid and started it up. Guess what it runs like crap. I thought maybe the belt should be replaced. I bought a new timing belt and was able to get the cams both to 0. Started it and it still runs like crap. Yes, I did check the cam position sensor when i installed it I had the drill mark set inline with the hash mark. ( I even removed the cover when i pulled it out and marked its current position, and another mark for after i removed it.) Cam sensor is correct.

The sound from the motor sounds like a miss. FOOMP FOOMP FOOMP

I inserted a jumper on the E1 TE1 and connected my timing light. I adjusted cam sensor till i was at 10BTDC. Motor still runs rough. When i have the timing light on the mark its jumping from 13 to 8 BTDC very irratic. The same after the jumper is removed. I decided to take the car out and see what the motor feels like. Not as much l;ow end power and (not like there use to be.) High end power is non existant. I was able to get to 80 and no more. On my drive i noticed... under normal driving 70 or so the turbo was spooling. boosting about -2 to 0. So when i got to my parents house i let the car cool down and wanted to check the waste gate valve.When i look down there i see my little brothers handy work. He shimed my boost valve back I undid the bolts and let the washer hit the driveway. (Ill pay him back next time i take his Porsche out). Is it possible that he pulled the inside of that boost valve apart? I caught him screwing with my turbo several times. Anyhow..... I started the car and it still had its crummy rough idle. I decided to retard the Cam position sensor a lillte more. It ran a little better. (not much) On my way back in to town. It wasnt boosting under normal load, like it was with the washers on the wastegate valve. I use to be able to boost about 6-7 psi now in about 4-5. I could easily break in the the mid 100 MPH range with out breaking a sweat. Now its like trying to get a fat lazy bastard off the couch witha carrot...... if ya know what i mean.

I do like the throaty sound its making with its oem exhuast (didnt sound like that before) but dont like feeling of no power. Im open for Ideas.

Thanks all,
Wedge

·
BLAH
437 Posts
k wow thats alot of typing, just some friendly advice try to add some cliff notes, and a video of the sound would be a good idea too, it looks like you took alot of time to type everything out just try to condense it alittle smaller :)

P.S. Did the "Foomp foomp foomp" sound like someone tapping on the dash?

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It feels like the motor is out of balance. I have more valve noise now as well. The sound...... Its like valves are still open when they should be closed. I know that That CPS couldnt be 180 off. It went back in the way it was removed. I didnt disturb the crank during the R&R As for the sound...... Just say Foom Foom Foom as fast as you can and thats how it sounds. :)

Wedge

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
First couple things that come to my mind are slack in the timing belt, hence the erratic signal. Or a plug's misfiring or an exhaust leak.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timing belt has no slack. I used the 120 clockwise turn to take the slack out then the 10-14 degree turn to take it back to TDC. New Exhuast manifold gasket, Ex Manifold to turbo gasket, turbo elbow to down pipe, new gaskets. My only exhaust leak atm is a small hole in the muffler. I might pull those new wires out and test them on a meter. Maybe and put the old set back in.... just to see if it cures it.

Wedge

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Just start up the car and unplug one ignition wire at a time from the coil. Each time you pull a plug the idle should get worse... if you pull one and the idle doesn't change you know where to look for issues.

Vacuum system good?

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. I took it out to my buddys shop this morning. He gave me a little corner to work in and gave me access to his tools. I decided to check spark first. Working from the back of the motor to the front. #4..... I pull the plug no change. I put a wire tester on and fired the motor again. I had spark. Then check the injector pulse. I had a pulse.... but the injector is dead. New injector on the way from my friends at Toyota. :) Ill let you guys know what happens after i put the injector in.

Wedge

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was the injector. but now i have a new problem. The new Belden spark plug wire i bought dont want to stay on... they like to disconnect themselves and give me a case of the misses. ANy sugestions on a good wire set?

Wedge

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
ngk or oem

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i order the NGK off line and returned the Beldens that DIDNT even come close to locking in to the #3 Head gasket. My Accordian and several other hoses that i ordered from Curt arrived today. So when i return home in a couple days i will remove the old and on with the new.

Even after replacing the Plug wires I still have a miss in the motor. I unplugged injecters.... not them. Yesterday when i had the cross over off while doing my plug wires, i decided to check the new Iridum plugs i installed. All the insulators down at the electrodes looked good. nice and white. But # 4s plug insulator @ the elctrode had a lgirh biege color to it. Wonding if i have a ring problem or a fouled plug.

Wedge

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't read the above posts, but if you think it might be the valves, do a compression test. One cyl may have a little to much shim? You'll also get an idea of the overall condition of the engine, before you turn up the boost.

My previous supra had a miss similar to what you describe. It turned out that the compression was lower in one cyl by about 30-40psi. This was due to the previous owner taking the car to his Mr. Fixit buddy (for a BHG) who lost a nut in a cyl. damaging the valves, when he started it.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great Tig. Thanks It taking it in to my buddies shop on Friday. Ill remove the "obstruction" off the top of the motor and he will redo his valve adjustments.

Wedge

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
did you gap the iridiums?

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Iridiums are gapped to .31

Wedge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts