Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Me
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any of you who put an aftermarket boost gauge in the stock boost gauges spot, where can I hook up my ground and 12v wires? I'm looking at the back of my gauge cluster right now and im thinkin i could hook up my ground to where the other 2 black wires go, but where can I get power? A picture would be much appreciated right now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
marc1131 said:
To any of you who put an aftermarket boost gauge in the stock boost gauges spot, where can I hook up my ground and 12v wires? I'm looking at the back of my gauge cluster right now and im thinkin i could hook up my ground to where the other 2 black wires go, but where can I get power? A picture would be much appreciated right now.
hmmm I dunno but if you get it working make sure to post picks and make a EDU I was thinking about doing this myself

·
Registered
30 Posts
makes no difference

It makes no difference where the power comes from. Just find a power wire and your money. For the ground...it souds like you found a terminal stud with several other grounds...good on ya. Just slap your new ground to that and you should be good to go. Get a multimeter for future projects or even this one....it will help you a thousand times and is cheap. To make sure you have a good ground, touch one multimeter lead to the stub you found..(while the meter is set on the little omega symbol or (ohm's) because your looking for continuity between that stud and the auto frame) then touch the other lead to anything metal in the car that is connected to the frame. There are tons of good bare metal stuff behind the cluster...if you get continuity (like 0 to a few ohms its a good ground...which means those two points are connected. this will work even if you have one lead on something like the differencial case in the back and the motor block in the front! As long as the two points are connected metal to metal with no insulators in between (rubber, paint, ext.) you should get continuity. For the power you can touch one lead to the point you want to use as a ground and then to each wire until you get your 12 volts. Just make sure in your case that its not a wire that only gets power while the headlights are on or something like that. Your looking for a wire that only gets power when the key is turned. So, find some volts and turn the key off to make sure the volts go away. If the 12 volts is still there when the key is out the gauge will never turn off and always drain power from the battery. For the gauge backlighting, turn the headlights on and look for 12 volts on all the wires. (your going to be checking the pin holes in the plugs that plug into the back of the gauge cluster of course) each time you get power, turn the headlights off and see it it goes away. If it does, thats the wire you need to connect the backlighting too. PM me if you need more assistance.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I like that, looks clean and people won't see it and want to steal your car...

·
Me
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I since ripped that black trim part out to make fit a but better and mounted in my car. will get pics later be too lazy now.
p.s. boost is reading 5 psi on this gauge. my stocker said 7, so i was wondering if i hooked it up to a weak vacuum source or was i really only running 7 pounds? I hooked it up to 1 of the 2 vacuum lines coming out of the intake manifild and looks to be right above the throttle body.

·
Registered
503 Posts
marc1131 said:

heres a pic of how it looks so far. gotta run the vacuum line through the firewall and thats it.
nice... thats hot... specially with the white gauges all the way around. Im glade you tested it out first :bowdown:

·
Registered
503 Posts
marc1131 said:
I since ripped that black trim part out to make fit a but better and mounted in my car. will get pics later be too lazy now.
p.s. boost is reading 5 psi on this gauge. my stocker said 7, so i was wondering if i hooked it up to a weak vacuum source or was i really only running 7 pounds? I hooked it up to 1 of the 2 vacuum lines coming out of the intake manifild and looks to be right above the throttle body.
isn't there a boost sensor on the far right of the engine *looking at the car from the front bumper* I'd hook it up over there, but I could be wrong.

·
Me
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, just hooked up to the boost sensor and reaqding really low. gonna take the gauges off tonight and see if there is a kink in the hose or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts