Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mk3, NA...manual...
Has anyone used one of the aftermarket driveshaft carrier bearings and are they any good? Much less expensive than the Toyota bearing...but will they work and do they last???

any experience?

thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I accually just put one on mine 87 na-t with the w58 and i currently have an harmonic issue atm don't know if it's the carrier bearing or not yet haven't gotten back to it yet....but i also did u-joints as well so i may have gotten the driveshaft out of time as well...pretty sure i didn't but and the carrier bearing i used was anchor 6062....it it just a bit wider then the spot it's supposed to go into which i just pushed it up and made it fit just so i could drive it home old one had failed and needed to make something work for the time being so. i am thinking because it is wider that it's introducing the noise into the body but will update here in the next couple days if it is the carrier bearing or not if your interested.

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
First, watch out for cheapo carrier bearings from places like china.
I bought one of my old Datsun pick-up, what a mistake !
They didn't even use a sealed bearing, just a shielded one. Probably would have lasted 6 months on the street, as it picked up water & road grit.
Sent it back, paid a little more for a good one, that will probably go another 30 years.

Second, make sure you mark the driveshaft when you split it, as if you get the thing a quarter turn off, it will shake like hell, induce a bunch of noise into the drive train, and cause the universals to fail quickly.
This is because when a u-joint is turning a shaft that is at any angle, the driven shaft is constantly accelerating, and decelerating.
But if they put the second u-joint in time with the first, it is speeding up, when the first is slowing down, so the one end (pinion on the diff) is always turning the same speed as what is coming out of the trans.
May be what Gundel is fighting.
A lot of Datsun owners have this problem, as their shafts connect via a spline, and you can get them way off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe that's what I am fighting atm knew better to rush but did anyways needed it done asap it's my dd and just made a stupid mistake lol now trying to chase it down

1 - 5 of 5 Posts