Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, there are way too many people having problems with their supras after going aftermarket fans. Is it a situation where we have to have the killer PHR full upgrade alternator ( I have the street version PHR alt. ) or why are so many having issues after they get the after market fans.

What is the guaranteed set up to use that will actually work trouble free? Which fans, how much draw, which alternator minimum, etc...

I would love to go aftermarket on the fans but after asking around the ones that have issues with theres greatly outnumber the rest. :dunno:

·
King of 14" wheels
125 Posts
The problem with most eletric fans (like the flex-a-lite dual fan + plastic shroud) is that they simply do not pull enough air across the rad to cool the car in hot climates. This problem is maginified by front mount IC's, which inhibit air flow to the radiator. That is why most road racers use the oem fan, it moves more air.

However, one company has created a custom fan shroud specificaly for the MKIV which has 2 high cfm fans (1800 cfm each, if I remember correctly) and a shroud desgin that allows the fans to pull from the entire rad core area. The flex-a-lite fan kit has the fans sit so close to the rad that the only air that they can pull is that which is directly in front of the fans. The AAP kit spaces back the fans allowing them to pull air through the whole rad core - much better desgin in my book. Here is a link if you want to see it: http://www.aapmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_42&products_id=928

This fan kit coupled with a high out-put alt should be trouble free.

Reactions: twinturbosupra94

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
Raretoy said:
Seriously, there are way too many people having problems with their supras after going aftermarket fans. Is it a situation where we have to have the killer PHR full upgrade alternator ( I have the street version PHR alt. ) or why are so many having issues after they get the after market fans.

What is the guaranteed set up to use that will actually work trouble free? Which fans, how much draw, which alternator minimum, etc...

I would love to go aftermarket on the fans but after asking around the ones that have issues with theres greatly outnumber the rest. :dunno:
The electric fan setup has been known to cause issues on daily driven and/or road race Supras. As noted above, the situation gets worse in hot climates and with front mounted intercoolers. However, they do work in cooler climates or for a weekend driven car or drag race car. It just depends on how you drive the car, and how well you manage under hood heating. We have some customer cars with vented hoods, full heat coating on all exhaust parts, good heat shields, and ceramic coating on intake plenum and IC piping, and they never go over 175 degrees F even in the 100 degree heat. Overall, the stock mechanical fan setup is the best setup for cooling, hands down. But the electric fans can work also and free up space under the hood, but you must be careful to manage your heat load carefully in the summertime.

Regards,

JH

Reactions: twinturbosupra94

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply :)

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
+1 for both of you for that helpful information on keeping you car cool. Never knew that proper wrapping plays such a key role in keepign hood temps low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts