Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellows,

I need some advice, I want to install these HKS aftermaket cams in my car. It's a 95BPU++ doing about 420rwhp. So I want to know which cams to go for, there are basically 2 durations the 264 and the 272 so which ones should I go for since I am BPU++ and what sort of power gains can I expect....

I know this is a little expensive buy, but I want to do it so will you guys recommend me a propper duration and how to go about this.

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Walser,
so you recommend then on BPU??

what about single or HKS twins?? would you get it then? are you running them at all?? what are your experiences??

thanks.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The general consensus view is that cams on a car with stock turbos is a waste of time. This view has gained acceptance from years of tuning experience from dozens of Supra owners. The reason is that the stock turbos are way more restrictive than the cams. Here's how I see it:

stock turbo car and small single, < 600 rwhp target: no cams
aftermarket turbo car with 600 - 800 rwhp target: 264 cams
big turbo setup car with >800 rhwp target: 272 cams

I have 272s on my HKS twins, and I think they are a little overlarge. I could probably make the same power with 264s. Now, if I moved to 3037s, I'd be in business.

As a side note, no one has yet tried HKS 256 cams on a stock turbo car that I know of. It may be interesting to try. I seriously doubt the car will make any more power, other than a small peak spot, but who knows for sure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Chamia,

I answered this question before (or at least I thought). As Walser said, you aren't at a point hp wise to need larger cams. However, since you have a j-spec Supra you may look into using some cams off a us-spec Supra since we have a higher lift and slightly longer duration... plus you can probably pick up some used ones for fairly cheap.

-m
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Marcus Frost said:
Chamia,

I answered this question before (or at least I thought). As Walser said, you aren't at a point hp wise to need larger cams. However, since you have a j-spec Supra you may look into using some cams off a us-spec Supra since we have a higher lift and slightly longer duration... plus you can probably pick up some used ones for fairly cheap.

-m
Chamia,


Do you know the model # on your stock Jspec turbos?
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CT-20 Turbo's are the ones that came in the old MKIII's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
I got two Japanese spec 2jzgte's motors also and they have the twin CT20's on them also, in Japan they also put the 2jzgte in a car called the Aristo which is like a lexus is my understanding and these came with ct20's...don't know the specs however of these turbos....
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry guys my mistake (typo) CT-26 is the MK3 turbo

CT-20 I have no idea..... :)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Walser said:
As a side note, no one has yet tried HKS 256 cams on a stock turbo car that I know of. It may be interesting to try. I seriously doubt the car will make any more power, other than a small peak spot, but who knows for sure?
I am putting 256 ams and gears on my Supra later in the year. My turbos are modified stock items and my tuner suggests an increase in midrange torque over any notable bhp increase.

I agree, fitting larger cams is one of the best ways of uplifting the performance of the j-spec car after turning up the boost.

regards............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
turbodg said:
I got two Japanese spec 2jzgte's motors also and they have the twin CT20's on them also, in Japan they also put the 2jzgte in a car called the Aristo which is like a lexus is my understanding and these came with ct20's...don't know the specs however of these turbos....

Thanx for the info. So the guys at Turbo.com were correct.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top