Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently sizing new rod and main bearing to my freshened up 2J bottom end and am wondering about the after market bearing sizes. The OEM bearing come in numerous sizes while bearings like the Clevites come in Standard, .010" and
.020" over.

Could someone tell me what the Clevites "Standard" thickness is??

In my 2400 pound car I am looking at a maximum output of no more than 600hp, but I would like the engine as durable as possible for road race use.

·
Registered
305 Posts
a question i would like to know. after plastigauging, which bearing size would i need depending on clearances? clevites and acl bearings show standard and .025 over size.. not helpful when toyota has a plethora of other bearing sizes.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
your bearing size shouldnt change unless your crank was turned or a connecting rod was sized over the acceptable limit. if your crank is turned, youre probablly gonna end up around .010" UNDERsized, if your main caps are cut then youre gonna be oversized, same goes for connecting rods. if they dont remove a lot of metal you will probablly be sticking with stock sized bearings. i had my crank turned and ended up with .010" undersized rod bearings and standard mains (main journals were just honed)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bearings

That was my understanding but I'd still like to know how thick they are. My crank has been repolished and the mains were a little on the loose side to start.

I am going through the trouble of refitting bearings, it'd would be nice if I knew what I am getting.

Is there an oil supply advantage with aftermarket bearings?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
ok, well if youre gonna do it that way, get yourself a micrometer and telescoping gauge set and start measuring your clearances, then work from there, thats the only way to determine exactly what size you will need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bearings???

I've got the measuring tools, but without the actual bearing thickness, I won't know if the clearance will be correct.
Toyota has 5 plus different "Standard" thicknesses and clevite has one. Does anyone know what it is???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts