Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what sort of hp level do you guys decide to fit an aftermarket oil cooler? I'm shooting for at least 500rwhp, and I run hard on the road rather than for 11 or 12 seconds at a time so the engine will get worked hard for sustained periods. Plus my original toyota cooler is leaking anyway, so now would be a good time to change it!

What brand and size of cooler would you guys recommend?

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Adam W said:
At what sort of hp level do you guys decide to fit an aftermarket oil cooler? I'm shooting for at least 500rwhp, and I run hard on the road rather than for 11 or 12 seconds at a time so the engine will get worked hard for sustained periods. Plus my original toyota cooler is leaking anyway, so now would be a good time to change it!

What brand and size of cooler would you guys recommend?
An aftermarket cooler hooked up to the same lines as the OEM cooler is a waste of time. Cooling is not continuous, but based on pressure.

I opted for the 7MGE oil filter mount, which does away with the stock bypass setup, so all oil will go thru the cooler- a Setrab 7 ½” x 8 ¼” x 2” -10AN 25 row. The guys I know who've done this have all noted a significant increase in oil pressure, as a side benefit.

Good luck.

edit: You answered your own question as to whethr it is needed, or not.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I had an extra Permacool oil cooler laying around so I threw it into the stock position. Not the ideal setup, but it was super easy to hookup and the oil runs cooler now.

There's no real set power level where you need an aftermarket cooler, but it will extend the life of your engine, oil and turbo. Just about any size is better then stock.

·
GOT BOOST?
551 Posts
Larry is right.. Setrab and Mocal oil coolers are the best on the market... min of 10 row 16 would be plenty but bigger is better =)...

Get a mocal oil cooler sandwich plate that is termostaticly controled. on the 2JZ I use -10 fittings and 3/4 by 16 tread in the block but the presure relieve valve is not in the oil filter addapter.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
I tend to throw a perma-cool 14" or 18" dual circuit cooler on before putting a car on a road course. Reason being, the second channel allows for power steering cooling, and replacing the horrible stock oil cooler lines should be mod number one so far as I'm concerned.

Increased oil cooling isn't really a requirement of power production. It's a requirement of lengthy durations of power production, e.g. on a road course.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the stock oil cooler doesn't have flow through it until a certain oil pressure is reached? That seems like a good idea to me, it means your oil can maintain proper operating temperature when you're not driving hard - I've heard of people losing engines when their cooler is so big that the oil never heats up. Thermostat is one way of dealing with that but if I don't have to buy one then so much the better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts