Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok .. i have read the DIY tut. about cutting the stock radio wiring harness and connecting the aftermarket harness in its place by twisting and then taping off ..

my question is ..

DOES ANYONE MAKE A HARNESS THAT PLUGS IN???

it seems SOOOOO ghetto that they dont make harnesses for our car but they do for just about everyother car out there ..

and i have checked at two of our local shops to pick up one .. and for 93.5-98 Supra and Supra TT .. it has a N/A next to it like they dont make it .. has anyone found one or know of a site ..

thanks in advance

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,922 Posts
toyota harnesses are pretty standard.

are you going from aftermarket back to stock? or vice versa?

cutting and taping? that's pretty damn ghetto...

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im going from stock to aftermarket .. but the local shops couldnt get any .. and it said not available .. but i think i found one now ..

cutting and taping .. yea that was a DIY tut. on here .. which was very informative for those who havent installed a HU before, but i didnt like the twist and tape part ..

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright .. so if i buy that plug it looks like it connects to the slot inside the stock radio .. now where would them RCA's go to? i just checked the stock amplifier and did NOT see any RCA's .. as of right now i have the two harnesses that plug into the bottom right where they enter the dash from the amplifier .. and there is NO power to the headunit .. would you shed some light onto how you performed your install .. and what wiring harnesses you used (if it was more than just the one you referred me to) I appreciate your help !!!

Mike

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright .. so it looks like the only reason to use that plug with the RCA's is if i want to use the stock amp with the aftermarket radio (being my Kenwood 915-DVD) ... correct? then id have to connect it to the stock radio harness and then run the RCA's to the brain of the unit ..

thanks guys !! .. if that is correct

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you can use a standard toyota harness from metra pt # 70=1768?... don't quote me... This will be the harness you will use after the stock amp pretty much unplug it and extend the harness to your dvd or navigation set up or your cd player headunit in the dash... Don't quote me I haven't tried it yet... it looks like it'll fit?

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i got it to work but since i was doing other things to the car, i somehow managed to drain the battery..gotta wait for the trickle charger to recharge it ..

now im looking for a good single DIN pocket for the open space where the double DIN stock headunit was .. so far i have found universal single DIN pocket and one that holds 4 dvd's/cd's and another that im more interested in (that i cannot seem to find in the US so far ) is the Sony GMD700 Auxillary Dock Station which you can plug in any mp3 player, cd player or anything portable music device ..

Sony GMD700

if i cannot find out where to buy this product .. id like to get a pocket that fills the single DIN that has a flip open door ..

·
HKS Twins
432 Posts
stereo shops usually stock univeral dins for double din set ups. If they dont you can purchase abs in sheets and they have lines on the back of them so you an easily break off the pieces you dont need. Ide advise you slit it first with a razor blade then break it off. Then simply place it behind your dash, sometiems they fit without any work but nothing a hot glue cant take care of. Im pretty sure you can use a universal din though. Just make sure you keep the brackets from your stock radio, holes should be there and its a simple case of lining then up and your done. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think tomorrow ( monday ) im going to go see how much a single DIN pocket with door will cost .. i have heard they are less than $20 .. ill let you guys know how that goes .. even though id rather have the Sony pocket i mentioned above ..

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
I used a universal pocket from Metra. Holds like 3 CDs. Except I use it to hold my remote and WB display.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts