Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I searched high and low and I can't find any info on this, my stock bulbs just aren't cuttin' it anymore. I'm looking for some good aftermarket replacement bulbs that are going to be brighter. I'm thinking like PIAA or Sylvania. But anyone who has experience with this and can provide advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Deep_Blue

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
I use the Sylvania Cool Blue lights you get from walmart. They are rated at 55 watts for the regular lights vs the normal 35. They are nice and bright; people actually ask if I run with my high beams on all the time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S-y-l-v-a-n-i-a C-o-o-l b-l-u-e... okay yeah got it, how much did those run you? I live in Canada eh, so I'm not sure if my walmart will have them. They just down have the same air of... sophistication as the ones you guys have in the states lol. Thanks for the help though. I'll check Canadian tire I guess.

Deep_Blue

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Actually not too bad, only about $14 USD each. Just make sure you get the 'Cool Blue' ones. I got one of them and one regular one (the boxes look very simmilar) and after I installed them one was noticeably more yellow. Had to go back and exchange it since it didnt look right ;)

·
Registered
867 Posts
cool blues are garbage. if you're gonna get some off the shelf parts store bulbs get the silverstars. Now i would suggest either one. I've gotten the best results from piaa extremes. they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. Now if you want some real performance out of your head lights get some Hella h4 housings...(europe version) And get yourself a nice HID kit. Believe me you'll spend way more money in looking for just the right bulbs if you're a light freak like i was. i ended up spending the same amount of money on the first few years of bulbs and housings as i did on my hella's and hid kit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called Canadian tire and they had the cool blues for $22CAD. I don't know if the silverstar's are too much more, but I'm picking them up tomorrow, so I'll check to see if they have silverstar's while I'm there I guess. And if they do, I've heard good things about Silverstar's and I might get them, but my car has sort of a blue theme. so the cool blues might be the best... So....Many...choices... Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Deep_Blue

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I gots to put up another vote for the Piaa Xtreme's. They are a sweet sweet bulb. I have them in my headlights, foglights, and parking lights. They look very good at night and project a very bright beam. Not near HID quality, but about as good as you can get before you take the big HID leap.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
ive got the direct replacement silverstars. costr CDN$75 with tax. WELL WORTH IT! i had sylvania halogens before (were on the car when i bought it) and there is a huge difference in light output and pattern.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
supras need the entire "encased" bulb. if you dont want that, you have to buy the H4 conversion kit. Hella makes the best one, but its $100+

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
I'm a silverstar fan myself. I just bought the new silverstar H3 fogs to go with my headlights......All Silverstar lighting now, Not cheap but best for the money before going HID. Just an opinion.

Chris D.
Nampa-Idaho

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's this talk about "encased" lights? Does that mean that you have to buy the entire casing? Not just a bulb? Please tell me I'm wrong about this! I'm really interested in these Silverstars' now (thanks wera172!) I don't have a mint to spend right now though. I just want to buy a bulb, and I'm sorry, but Supra is all the way downstairs and outside, and I just don't want to take the time to go down there right now.

Deep_Blue

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
XTC Dynamic Supra said:
... And get yourself a nice HID kit. Believe me you'll spend way more money in looking for just the right bulbs if you're a light freak like i was....
aren't HID kits around $500?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Deep_Blue said:
What's this talk about "encased" lights? Does that mean that you have to buy the entire casing? Not just a bulb? Please tell me I'm wrong about this! I'm really interested in these Silverstars' now (thanks wera172!) I don't have a mint to spend right now though. I just want to buy a bulb, and I'm sorry, but Supra is all the way downstairs and outside, and I just don't want to take the time to go down there right now.

Deep_Blue
"encased" lights is a little akward, they are called sealed beam lights. You can buy sealed silverstars at the autoparts store. Basically it means it is just a big light bulb rather than a housing and a smaller bulb. They are 6054 IIRC.

Oh and those asking about HID. Sylvania (the company that makes silverstars) makes an HID kit called Xenarc that has an integrated housing so it is not necissary that you buy an HID ballast/bulb set up and a H4 conversion. It goes for around 400 bucks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Deep_Blue said:
What's this talk about "encased" lights?
Deep_Blue
Basically the stock headlamps are H6054 sealed beam units. In order to use aftermarket bulbs one would need to buy a "conversion headlamp" like a Hella 6054 unit that accepts H4 bulbs. You would also have to buy H4 bulbs. The bulbs would fit into the new headlamp and . . tada . . you have an upgraded headlamp. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what I'm getting out of this is that I can't convert to Silverstar without using an H4 conversion? Am I right about this? Good lord, I just want to see better at night!!!

Deep_Blue

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Deep_Blue said:
So what I'm getting out of this is that I can't convert to Silverstar without using an H4 conversion? Am I right about this? Good lord, I just want to see better at night!!!

Deep_Blue
Did you read my post at all? YES Sylvania sells a H6054 sealed beam version of the silverstars.

You can buy sealed silverstars at the autoparts store.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts