Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I wanted to know if any of the NA guys had an aftermarket shift knob put in? I bought the leather TRD shift knob a while back and it didn't fit...the threads didn't reach far enough into the knob to hold it in place.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket shift knob that will screw in place of the factory one? Thanks

E

·
0 Posts
I have a nice Momo knob that goes well with the black interior of my supra. It's a strange shape, but fits well in the hand and I much prefer it over the stock one.

The pic below does not do it justice.

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good...now did that fit on the factory threads or did it have its own and you just tightened it with the allen head screws? If that doesn't make sense sorry:(

I'm thinking of getting the polished Greddy Shift Knob...would anyone by chance have it??

R

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just use the Turbo short shifter. I'm not positive so you might want to ask around.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You can make your own short shifter out of the stocker for about $10. Remove the shift knob, and then remove the shifter shaft. Measure the shaft, and decide how much shorter you want it. Twist the lower and upper sections to break the rubber seal, and seperate the two pieces. Cut the upper piece off a little way below the threads. Weld the upper part to the lower part, removing as much material as you want to get the desired shifter length. Re-install. It cost me $10 to get the two pieces welded back together. You will get slightly more tranny noise through the shifter, since the rubber isolator isn't there any more, but it doesn't sound bad at all. The shifter feel is much more positive, and the throw is just slightly shorter(depending on how much shorter you make the shaft).

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think TRD makes a short shifter for our cars...I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the TRD catalog, however it's a special order from Japan I think.

I'm just curious though...why would you spend money on a short shifter (unless it's $10 of course:) ) when our cars come already with a very short shifter in it already? I guess its just different views and opinions:rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Greddy Makes a shift knob that just screws onto the threds..I used to have it in my car now i have the Street Glow hot wires one.The Greddy one is just sitting around now..lol..the nice lil chrome one

M

·
0 Posts
attached is my shift knob, it's by Razo, got it a couple years ago, so it's pretty banged up.

oh my! the supra shift is NOT short! i jumped into my friends honduh S2K... that thing have a SHORT shift, i can use my fingers to shift. it's nice.

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I've driven the S2000 also...and I must say...that is one awesome shifter...its so smooth and short...but still our Supra's shifter isn't that bad...

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
TRDSupraSE said:
I think TRD makes a short shifter for our cars...I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the TRD catalog, however it's a special order from Japan I think.

I'm just curious though...why would you spend money on a short shifter (unless it's $10 of course:) ) when our cars come already with a very short shifter in it already? I guess its just different views and opinions:rolleyes:

Found the TRD short shifter. Was browsing around and kinda stumbled upon it:

http://www.toyota-trd.com/en/strt/i_quick.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts