Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Doing a timing belt here soon to install my 272's cams and heard about SIngle Turbo owners cracking their tensioners. Its this fact , fiction or whats the deal. I think I saw a billet one from SP for like $400. Please give me you advice on what I need to buy. I do not mind spending the money but want to be smart with my purchases.

Thanks,
Staats

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
Jstaats said:
Guys,

Doing a timing belt here soon to install my 272's cams and heard about SIngle Turbo owners cracking their tensioners. Its this fact , fiction or whats the deal. I think I saw a billet one from SP for like $400. Please give me you advice on what I need to buy. I do not mind spending the money but want to be smart with my purchases.

Thanks,
Staats
Not necessary as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Its really a hit or miss, some people have broken them and others haven't. When i redo my motor, i'll probably invest in one, but at this point and time, i don't see any need to. The billet one looks very beefy and reduces the chance of a tensioner breaking though because it is billet and not cast aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
Jstaats said:
Guys,

Thanks,
Staats
It's fact. I know of five situations that have occurred with SF members, one of which cost Atomic Fabio a $25,000 motor (my guess at the cost). All of the cars except one were making in execess of 900 wheel if that matters to you. That one car, though, was an IS 300 2JZ-GTE/6MT conversion that was making 700 whp at most.

I recently replaced my OEM tensioner with the Sound Performance billet tensioner. It is a very high quality piece and, when you hold both tensioners in your hands, it's clear that the SP version WILL NOT break. My factory tensioner appeared to be in great shape, but it's one of those situations where I think it's cheap insurance and something you never have to worry about again. Whatever your decision, good luck.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have seen a couple of them break. We are also now manufacturing these billet tensioner arms and are having a special on these pieces. I have noticed that it is not dependent on power output, timing belt setup, or style of crank damper. When they break, the head/motor may get destroyed so this is a "must-have" upgrade.

Our first production test batch of 10 pieces are already sold. We will have many of these in stock in 3-4 weeks.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=268376

1 - 6 of 6 Posts