Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just searched around, saw some pictures, but instead of bumping like 6 different posts I figured to make my own so we can consolidate the information. I remember some of you guys doing your own wiring harnesses and making the harnesses from scratch. Like some of that fancy wire looms. Well I am not doing that, but will be wiring up a 54 Ford F-100. The fuse box kit has all the wiring already done, but doesnt have quick disconnects between the switches and fuse box. I want to add these in for ease of use when removing things like the door panel for maintenance or what not.

Where did some of you guys get your weather proof & non weather proof connectors from? They can be pre wired or I can install the pins & wire into the sockets. They can also be military spec if that is all you know.

Let me know what your using and a link of where to look at it.

I have found a few, but I'd really appreciate your input on what you did and what/if you would do different this time.

Thanks guys,

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I thought about redoing my harness using mil-spec connectors for a while. And recently seeing Darin redo Jessica's harness makes me want to do it more.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Mil-spec series used in the autosport world = Mil-C-38999 series I, II and III which has been superceded by SAE-AS85049. Requires specialized tools from either DMC (Daniels Manufacturing) or Astro Tools. Expect about $500 in crimpers alone to do the job right. Also require the correct wire in the form of Tefzel (Mil-W-16878/4, /5, /6 which has been superceded by SAE AS16878, same subset), Crosslinked Tefzel/XL-ETFE (Mil-W-22759/34 = SAE AS22759/34, MoTeC sells this stuff for harnesses), or the very high end (read super light, super pricey) hybrid sheath wiring consisting of PTFE/Polymide/PTFE (Mil-W-22759/80, /81, /82, /91, /92 which has been superceded by SAE AS22759, same subset).

Deustch sells the autosport series for the racing world BUT they are directly interchangeable with the Mil-C-38999 series. The Mil-C series is not black but they work the same, you will have a wire failure before the connection fails.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Weatherpack connectors were used in most GM cars up until the early 2000's. They then went to Delphi based micro-connectors. The connection is going to be only as good as the crimp which if you don't have the right tools. Expect a not so solid crimp.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
He is in the Air Force, but I dont think he wants to spend $500 on just the crimper itself to do the mil spec wiring. So I am going to look for other good alternatives.

Thanks for the info figgie.
If he is in the Air force, no need to spend on crimpers. The Air Force uses the DMC AF-8/AFM-8 for thier crimping duties if he works the flight line. I should know. I did B-1b avionics and had access to those tools. Best of all, they calibrated those tools quarterly. One less thing to worry about ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts