Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gently taking off my stock radiator cap to replace it with a new TRD one when it fell apart on me! The top portion of the cap twisted right off the bottom rubberised portion. I got the cap and the spring when I took it off. The rest was lodged in the hole. and when trying to pick it out fell into the dark abyss (radiator) What the hell am I supposed to do now!?

:(

//gwailo-

·
0 Posts
it shouldnt do much, if you cant get it oult just leave it alone and watch your temp gauge for a few days to make sure evrything is ok.

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure? There is metal and rubber in the section that fell in. I tried fishing for it with prongs but could not find it. :(

Any other input?

//gwailo-

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
You could drain the radiator, take it out, turn it upside down and try to get the pieces to the opening and fish them out. Otherwise I don't think you have many other options to retrieve them.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
You may have to replace the radiator - if one of those pieces gets to the water pump it could destroy it.

Replacing a water pump is NOT an easy or cheap proposition.

Good luck

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do I have to disesemble the front end to remove the radiator or can I remove it correctly/safely by itself?

Is it something a professional should do because I am the very basic of DIYers.

any help would be GREATLY apreciated.

//gwailo-

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
GwailosuprA said:
do I have to disesemble the front end to remove the radiator or can I remove it correctly/safely by itself?

Is it something a professional should do because I am the very basic of DIYers.

any help would be GREATLY apreciated.

//gwailo-
Nah, Jack the car up and twist open the drain plug and drain the fluid out. Unbolt all the bolts across the bottom and unplug the sensor plug (next the the drain plug). Unbolt the few bolts on the fan shroud up top and the two hook holders holding it down. Take off the *L* upper pipe and it should pull right out. Not hard at all :)

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
1nline6 said:
it shouldnt do much, if you cant get it oult just leave it alone and watch your temp gauge for a few days to make sure evrything is ok.
Quit offering advice on things that you obviously know nothing about. This "advice" could kill the water pump as noted.

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SUCCESS!!

Thanks to all those with HELPFUL information ;)

We retrieved the cap (in 3 peices) it took more fishing for it and an extra set of hands. (my mom :D) I made sure all peices were accounted for and put on my new cap!

Thanks again for the fast advice. I'm glad I didn't have to perform surgery on the poor girl in this freezing ass weather.

//gwailo-

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it out without having to pull the radiator. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man i love the search button. mine just did the exact same thing, but luckily i had my pen magnet and fished it up and grabbed it with some needle nosed pliers. glad im not the only one that had their rad cap spit into 3 pieces.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
good to hear. my first thought was to use a magnet.
definitely dont want to mangle the water pump impeller.

good to see 8 year old thread still relevent too lol.

·
Total Annihilation
1,933 Posts
Damn thought I was going to get to yell at another noob for bringing back a 8 year old thread. uggh Glad to see that it helped you and congrats on being the first newbie in awhile to use the search button.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Maybe it's the recent solar flares causing our radiator caps to fall apart. Mine did the same thing recently. It was my original cap, I noticed my temps climbing so I pulled over, popped the hood, didn't see or feel anything so I let it cool. Then when I opened the cap I noticed a little stainless steel ring sitting in the radiator fill neck, so I poked my finger in it to pull it out and wondering what the hell it was, then it dawned on me that it could be from the cap and when I checked, sure enough, it had fallen apart. God damn solar flares!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Maybe it's the recent solar flares causing our radiator caps to fall apart. Mine did the same thing recently. It was my original cap, I noticed my temps climbing so I pulled over, popped the hood, didn't see or feel anything so I let it cool. Then when I opened the cap I noticed a little stainless steel ring sitting in the radiator fill neck, so I poked my finger in it to pull it out and wondering what the hell it was, then it dawned on me that it could be from the cap and when I checked, sure enough, it had fallen apart. God damn solar flares!
yep definately, need more uv protection, mine fell apart 5 months ago.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If it was me I would get that shit out of the radiator.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts