Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my lovely great friend decided to mix up the piston and rods numbers when we were installing new rings and bearings.....

what can i do?

is there anyway to tell what number they are from looking at them?

also its a rebuild......so ive got new rings and new bearings...new fasteners(ARP) and ive gotten the cylinders honed....can i just put them in any order now? since its basically all new stuff?

whats the deal guys...help me please asap!!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If its a rebuild (everything should have been balanced)... so the order shouldn't matter.

However, if your machinist was good... he would have stamped numbers on the rods and caps.

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
do you have brand new pistons???? if you do then i don't think there is a problem. If you are using your old existing original pistons then there might be a problem because each piston is somewhat married to that specific cylinder. Make sure your end gaps are ok.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
I think it would depend on how the motor was balanced also - as an assembly or separately. Get a micrometer and measure everything. check all of your ring gaps. Plastigauge everything. Once you get it figured out, write on it with black marker to label the order.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Were the rods and pistons balanced together? I'd imagine that specific rods go with specific pistons from a balance persepctive at least. Did he mix up rod caps or full rods with the pistons?

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
The engine is completely factory blue-printed and you can use the tsrm to place untouched parts back where they go like your pistons. Personally, I used toyota bearings all around so mains were easy to set up (per tsrm) and I had my machinist resize my rods to factory specs with arps. IMO, you can get away with plastiguage(like I did) but measuring clearances is ideal.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
i always mic and plastigauge

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
The biggest problem you will face. Caps MUST match their rods. Kick your friends ass, then kick your own for not numbering them.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
the stock stamps on the cut line of the rods should coincide with oneanother. If they dont match you obviously have them mixed up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts