Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the 98 Turbo QuickSilvers. I've owned this car for roughly 4 months now. A few weeks after I bought the car the car began to lose power. Slowly but noticeable. Now the car is almost gutless off the line. I've been getting conflicting reports on the possible cause. Was told it was the torque converter first. $400 later I found out it want the TC. Another shop in town thinks its my tranny. However, during diagnostics at the dealer my car threw no codes at all. The dealer believes the problem lies in the primary turbo. But they cant say for sure.

Here are the symptoms:

Serious lag from stop. Feels like tranny slippage or a blown primary turbo.

Making full boost and have solid vaccum numbers.

Rarely when full throttle and slight roll car takes off like normal. Very rarely.

Turbo makes a funky chirping noise since I removed and blocked off stock BOV and tubing. Was told it was air going backwards through my turbo.

Car has no power compared to when I bought it. Even without the lag on startup, the car is much slower through the full power band.

Any help would be appreciated. Extremely aggrivated...

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
why did you remove the stock bov? that could definitely be your problem. now you are experienceing surges of air passing backwards through the turbo (very unhealthy) after you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told by every supra shop and owner in the area to take it off. And I had the problem before I removed it.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Carl, you NEED to loosen the adjusting screw on the back of your HKS BOV. If you dont have a blown first turbo, you will soon with the compressor surge you are experiancing.
For my car, i loosened the screw almost ALL the way. If I tighten the screw very much, i get a small, but noticible amount of compressor surge.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tou said my screw was loosened all the way. Remember I have the Pull type BOV

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
ah. i see now. i thought you had removed the stopck bov and not replaced it with anything. that would be interesting for sure.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Carl, I have the same BOV as you do. what are you doing tomarow. I can come over and look at it...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
home stoned...usual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts