Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i search found a thread where Acroth had the air cylinders so that wasnt the same thing. only found 4 threads, was wondering any one got the actual air bags, and or dose any one know where to pick some up?

/me see's flaming soon :/

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
wouldnt that be the same as coilovers? but with less adjustability? lol Just spend the 1000 those will cost you, and get coilovers. :D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i was also thinking bout an air ride suspension. just because it would be nice to be able to go from low to high for going over speed bumps and such within seconds. it would be a softer ride too... but maybe wouldnt handle as good...

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea thats the main reason why i am interested in it for the quick changing of the ride hight. go to stock ride hight when your driving around lower it when your parked or what ever you want heh.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skeeter019 said:
The problem with them is if u get stuck with a broke line ur screwed and some systems are actually meant for racing
heh yea thats a downfall, but im sure theres some back up for it. patch kit or somethin heh.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
talk to acroth(i think thats his sn) he had airbags and if i remember correctly he hated them and switched to coilovers

josh

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
I've seen tests done on TV with real every day drivers and air bags handle great. They help on everything. Don't really know if they are better then coilovers tho.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jpeek29208 said:
talk to acroth(i think thats his sn) he had airbags and if i remember correctly he hated them and switched to coilovers

josh
like i said in my first post acoth had the air cylinders they are different from the air bag's. from my understanding what he had would transfer the air when you would turn, these are self contained and alot more effective.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2402698&postcount=35

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
sorry didnt read the first post just went right off the reply and the topic

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jpeek29208 said:
sorry didnt read the first post just went right off the reply and the topic

heh not a problem i thought thats what you did, i do it all the time :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
I got air bags on my Mustang and love them. You can raise up to go over a speed bump then deflate to lay the K member on the ground. Plus if you go with 1/2 valves and lines you will be able to inflate quicker. Mine raise and fall in less then 1 second. But plan on paying more then $1000. My bags and brackets alone were $775 and I put the rest of the kit together myself. Let me know if you are interested and I'll go look up my reciets and give you some ideas on places to get the stuff. It took me about 4 hours every day after work for 5 days to completely install mine. And thats in the beguinning of January :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
also there is usuallya reason for going with cylinders over bags like sometimes i dont know if it applies to our car but i think some civics have to have cylidners and not bags because the bags wont fit. If you do get an air ride (which i had on my old car and learned to hate honestly) and you have to get cylinders make sure to get the dump tanks one for each axle taht is what smoohts the ride out alot with cylninders......

·
Registered
432 Posts
they don't fit because of the strut assy. You would have to go with an air strut which is the same thing. Gives a better ride.

N

·
0 Posts
well apparently the air suspension for the WRX is one of the best systems available for it

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
the firestone system for the wrx is atypical when it comes to air suspension. When you lower the height of a car with airbags you do so by lowering the pressure in the air "spring" itself. This effectively reduces your spring rate, the inverse of what you actually want. Common sense would tell you that the lower your car is, the stiffer you want your springs to be to avoid bottoming out. The firestone system counters this with adjustable dampers that stiffen considerably as ride height decreases. Sport Compact Car had the firestone suspension on their wrx and ditched it for a nice set of coilovers. They loved the way the air suspension handled at the track, but deemed it too harsh for daily use. Talk to Acroth and he'll probably point you to a decent set of coilovers. I hope some of this rambling helped somebody, I just kinda felt like typing.

Zach

·
MKIII Bodykit Connoisseur
914 Posts
mine were self contained as well.. they were air cylinders... and the ride stability just sucked... it wouldn't transfer air between the cylinders, it just felt like jello suspension whenever i'd drive....

i've heard that air-struts work a lot better and have a more stable ride... but i love my tein flex coilovers so goodluck with whatever you go with man :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts