Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AC comes on, but the blower does not come on under any settings. I've tested the blower itself, it works. The resistor seems fine, I can't see the wires as shown on cygnus because they are incased in some kind of plaster/foam, but the high setting does not work either, so I don't think it would be the problem anyways. I reset the circuit breaker, but still nothing. Any ideas?

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
no fan speeds are working?

Most likely the A/C amplifier :( (if all speeds quit working at once). Usually if it's just the blower motor resistor, you usually only loose ONE speed, not ALL of them.

And IIRC, that is a discontinued item from Toyota, so you'll most likely need to get one from a junked/scrapped Supra. Some half cuts might have this part too (JDM).

It's a white box behind the dash under the center console, it has 2 black connectors going into it. It's a bitch to get at, you'll need to remove your stereo most likely to get at it.

Mine recently went in my Cressida, and I had those exact same symptoms.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I hope that's not it. After I reset the CB and tried it, I heard some noises coming from the area of the blower motor. I also felt a very small amout of air come through the vents... kinda like it was trying to come on but couldn't. Only lasted a few seconds.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^bump, anyone else have any thoughts?

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
The A/C amplifier has nothing to do with the blower. It controls the operation of the A/C clutch relay based on inputs from the thermistor mounted to the evaporator coil ( too cold), the pressure switches (pressures too high or low) and the 234F temp. sender (cuts A/C if engine is too hot) .
The A/C relay box contains blower speed relays used ONLY for AUTO operation of the blower speeds BUT the blower speed switch ( the 3 push buttons) overrides AUTO operation for manual selection of blower speeds.
SO, it sounds like your blower wheel is clogged or hung up with shit ( leaves, pine needles etc.) or the motor is bad (bearings or windings shorted). High amperage is what causes the 40 amp CB to trip and it's trying to turn as you get some air flow before it trips again. Remove the blower motor (3 screws facing down) and see if the wheel turns freely.
Mike

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
My blower (inside) stopped working early last year. At first I thought it was the resistor pack - but as others have commented this will only kill one or two speeds and not all three. I replaced the pack and the problem persisted.

I then pulled the blower fan/motor itself and sure enough it wasn't even spinning.

Does your fan work without the AC on?

I'd lean towards the blower motor itself (behind the glove box).

Keith

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have taken the blower itself out, there was nothing at all inside, not even very dusty. It was free spinning, and I hooked it up directly to the battery and it seemed to work fine. I didn't leave it connected for long, but as soon as I touched the battery it began spinning.

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
For the person that says the a/c amp has nothing to do with the fan speeds, you didn't see what happened to MINE when mine failed. I had ONE FAN SPEED, no matter what speed I chose, and it was the AMPLIFIER that caused it. It does more than just read pressure sensors and temps! I replaced the a/c amp, and all my fan speeds started working correctly!

Anyways...

Perhaps your a/c - heater module has failed (ya the part where you select fan speed, temp, where your vents blow from), etc...

Being you know your blower motor is working, it's either your resistor, module, or a/c amp. Either way it sounds like something electronic has failed.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
I have the European console that have the gliding adjuster. The number one setting doesnt work. Anybody know how it can be fixed?

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
KingCobra said:
For the person that says the a/c amp has nothing to do with the fan speeds, you didn't see what happened to MINE when mine failed. I had ONE FAN SPEED, no matter what speed I chose, and it was the AMPLIFIER that caused it. It does more than just read pressure sensors and temps! I replaced the a/c amp, and all my fan speeds started working correctly!

^ WRONG, The A/C Amplifier, mounted behind glove box HAS NOTHING to do with blower speeds. It ONLY controls the operation of the A/C CLUTCH RELAY. Get a hold of a TSRM if you don't know this!
The A/C RELAY box, mounted middle of dash near heater coil has 3 relays inside of it for blower speeds BUT since he posted that the blower motor tries to run and blows a little air once he resets the 40 amp CB and than trips out again it sounds like the motor is drawing excessive current causing the 40 CB to trip out repeatly. I'd ohm out the motor and check that the windings are NOT grounded. I would also unplug the heater blower relay behind the pass. kick panel and jump out the top 2 terminal plugs with a piece of heavy gauge wire inserted into the terminals to rule out a bad load contact inside the heater relay.

Anyways...

Perhaps your a/c - heater module has failed (ya the part where you select fan speed, temp, where your vents blow from), etc...

Being you know your blower motor is working, it's either your resistor, module, or a/c amp. Either way it sounds like something electronic has failed.
^ No blower motor current passes thru the module or A/C amp. The resistor which is used for speeds other than HIGH, the heater blower CB and relay, the A/C relay box and the blower speed program switch which is servo connected are in the blower circuit.

EDIT: Make sure the blower motor ground connection is tight. It is the top bolt in the relay panel that contains the 40 amp CB and relay behind the pass. kick panel. Look up high and inward to see it, it's to the left of the connector plug with all the White with black stripe ground wires which also get feed off this bolt for car body ground. This ground bolt also serves to hold the relay panel in at the top.
Mike

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I checked the ground connnection, it wasn't connected at all. I got excited thinking that would be the problem, and I'd soon be enjoying AC... got it connected.. nothing. Same as before. :(

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm thinking it's the climate control module. I have an extra I'm going to swap out but I have to wait till next week when I get back home.

·
Not so fast!
457 Posts
Makes me wonder what part is preventing LOW speed from working on my '87 :ugh2:

I'd like to get a manual AC control setup from some other Toyota... like a Corolla. I wonder if I can/if they'll fit :ugh2:

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
Midnight Dorifuta said:
Makes me wonder what part is preventing LOW speed from working on my '87 :ugh2:

I'd like to get a manual AC control setup from some other Toyota... like a Corolla. I wonder if I can/if they'll fit :ugh2:

^ Most likely a bad blower resistor. Remove it and look for an open coil. There are 4 coils that are feed for the different speeds. the lower speed coils always burn open 1st because they have the most voltage drop along with less air flow over it to keep it cool.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Ok, I had the same problems as you did Revolver. I swapped out the climate control system and that wasn't the problem, so I yanked the blower motor and connected it directly to a 12V source. I could get it to spin and it turned freely when I manually spun it but it would lose speed and eventually stop. If you connected yours to the battery long enough, it probably would have stopped too.
It's the contacts. Mine were worn down to the springs.
You can replace it with a used one from a junkyard.
I didn't yank the whole motor. I just undid the 2 screws holding the contact assembly and removed the wire connector. Just reattached the contact assembly to my motor and voila! AC again. :)
Easier than yanking the whole motor.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I believe someone said the resistor coil that governs the low speed is behind the driver's side kick panel, is that correct? Which coil is the one I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Thanks for the comeback. So, you say that the Lo and Med speed coils are on the same board and i should just replace that whole board?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts