Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else run a air to water intercooler besides boost logics' old supra? i'm sure as a track only car and speaking strictly of performance, air to water intercoolers are way more efficient than air to air?

if you guys can post up pictures of your air/water intercooler set up please! not too much room to put a 1500hp rated air/water intercooler in our engine bay!

the downsides to the air/water intercooler is that it won't last very long (need to keep refilling IC with ice/water)
also it'll weigh more, maybe ~50 lbs or so?
yould' need an external water pump etc.

anyone have any data or record the difference in # between the air/air vs. air/water?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Mine, rated to 2500hp:

If you're looking at a 1500hp unit, I bet you could fit it under the dash if you really wanted to get creative :)

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol good lord!!!

wow that looks pretty intense!! thanks for the pictures~ i take it most of you who are running it aren't running a heat exchanger with it, just a reservoir with ice/water filling?
i wouldn't want to put the core anywhere near the interior of my lexus. i'd find a way fit it in the engine bay/front somewhere. possibly a custom radiator might help in doing so.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
I've asked this question before with no reply. It seems like no one is running the intercooler sprayers anymore. You would think it would be the best of both worlds on a air-air. Is there new regulations against it?

·
Go Getter!
365 Posts
Holy craziness batman...that 2500hp set up is nucking futs

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
I've asked this question before with no reply. It seems like no one is running the intercooler sprayers anymore. You would think it would be the best of both worlds on a air-air. Is there new regulations against it?
Ice water in an a/w cooler will still be significantly more effective than spraying water on to an a/a core. Not to mention anything you spray on the IC has a chance of being sucked into the turbo which is bad regardless if it's CO2, N2O, H2O or whatever. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
water to air intercoolers are much more efficient then air/air ICs, although a heavier setup overall, and some space restrictions, they will outperform our standard frontmounts easily. But most people don't make enough power to actually need them they just muscle there way thru with more boost to make up for the power difference, also its a pain to keep adding water to it, etc etc. But remember different people, different cars, different purposes. In the up and coming months I will be fabbing up and water/air IC that will fit in the front mount location. I'll post pics when thats built.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Yeah, there are regulations against a mod that doesn't do schitt! Unless you count the unexpected shot of NOS that gets sucked in the air filter.

Al

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
All the NMCA/NMRA Turbo Mustang guys run them, IC pipes go in the interior, tank in back, pump, etc. Definitely a race only setup.

·
Registered
294 Posts
IMO the best way to go is with a small garrett gen 2 A2W and a heat exchanger up front. You get the best of both worlds.
Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts