Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help ASAP to pass aircare.

Car:
93.5 tt, single turbo, 3400 stall, map ecu, stock injectors, fmic...reinstalled factory cats.

Max allowable:

HC = 0.5000
CO = 9.3200
NOx = 1.2400

Test 1 - 94 chevron octane, single turbo setup remained same

HC = 1.1915 (failed)
CO = 7.4809 (pass)
NOx = 0.3269 (pass)

Test 2 - 94 chevron octane, some methohydrate, single turbo setup same

HC = 1.3934 (failed)
CO = 6.5163 (pass)
NOx = 0.4058 (pass)

Test 3 - 94 chevron octane with MoHawk 94, removed map ecu, installed stock MAF, IAT sensor was still intact as its connected to the wired from maf, so i left it

HC = 0.5070 (failed by .0070)
CO = 1.2838 (pass)
NOx = 3.1272 (failed)

As you can tell the first 2 tests HC didnt come close to passing, but in the third test it almost did. On the chart, HC was only high during the 100 k/m run on the third run.

But NOx failed horribly after te stock maf was installed. I did notice when i woudl go into any boost my wideband would read 17+, so it was leaning out for some reason.

Any suggestions, i need to pass by saturday.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S i gapped my plugs back to around .33-.34, my BOV is still venting.

Also the map ecu is currently tuned to run 16-17 psi, i put the boost controller back to 14psi/wastegate pressure, as i worked on the car this spring and was gonna get a re-tune.

In the next couple of days i will be capping the BOV line, installing new plugs, and if i can find some Ethanol adding some of that.

· Small pockets
355 Posts
lol good thing theres no aircare on the island. ^^ MWHAHAH

good luck with this

· Newbe....I know nothing!
1,865 Posts
Does all of the mainland have aircare, or just Vancouver? What I mean is, if you live in Abbotsford, or Chilliwack do they have this as well?
Yes, all of the GVRD has aircare. I keep hearing that come 2011 there will no longer be aircare stations. The down side to that is we may go back to yearly safety inspections. Most of our modded car will not pass the visual emissions check.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
DEATH 2 AIRCARE! :blast:

if you barely failed on your last run try re-circing the bov, might make enough of a differance, and drive your car HARD before taking it there, like multiple WOT highway pulls, may sound stupid but getting it as warm as possible has helped me in the past.

if not take a really big guy with alot of tattoo's with you and tell the operator you "suggest he takes it easy on the car" hahaha.

good luck!

· Newbe....I know nothing!
1,865 Posts
Just got my car though aircare with 880cc inj, single turbo and 4" exhaust. I put on a temp cat and ran it this morning and failed by well over 3x the limits. I went back this afternoon after leaning it out and adding a bit of dwell to the coils, passed no problem.

· Registered
182 Posts
I could use some help too guys post up any ideas you have.

how about adding iso methanol? anyone try that

· ma70-7m=1JZ
2,602 Posts
What are your a/f's at cruise and idle ?. At idle shoot for 14.2-14.8, for the driving test it should be 14.0-15.0 range. Alos like others have mentioned make sure the car is at normal operating temps and drive it hard just before the test. The cat is most efficiant when it is HOT, so what I normally do is on the drive to the Aircare station I cruise at high rpms, like 4000-4500, then when I am a block away from Air care I will pull over to the side of the road and hold the revs at 3000-3500 for a min or two to get the EGT's and the cat really hot, then get over there while its still hot. But with a stock ecu and a cat, if your A/F's are good it shouldnt be a problem. If you are running a MAF I would definatly pull off the bov vacume hose and plug it or recirculate the bov back into the intake, the transient driving areas of the test are the hardest to control, and with the bov venting and causing a rich spike everytime you let off the gas that can cause a fail too.

Worst case senario, drop your coil overs right down as low as you can so the car wont fit on the rollers, then you only have to do the ilde test!!

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my a/f on normal driving are usually 14.4-14.8 and at idle when the car is warm around the same, sometimes sticking at 12.0 unless i give it the throttle a tap.

As for the MAF, i have map ecu and i did the test twice with the map ecu on and no MAF. Than i disconnected the map ecu which threw a check engine light and installed the MAF. All 3 runs with the bov hooked up.

I may disconnect the BOV, keep the map ecu hooked up and the MAF hookedup, you think this would make things worse. I have it like this now and it drives just like when i dont have the MAF connected.

As for my warm up procedure, the first 2 times i just drove around Slurrey for 3 minutes, giving it a good run when i had the chance. Than kept the revs around 2000-3000 while in the lineup.

The third time i drive to Vancouver so i could use the highway to warm up the cat, and did the same thing while in the lineup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.