Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am using the stock afm from the 7MGE, if I set up my s-afc to monitor airflow and I press the flapper all the way in by hand I can only get the s-afc to read 52.7% airflow. Anyone have any idea why? Thanks.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
im not sure on the airflow % on a na, but on mine the throttle % did the same thing. i had to go back after i set it up and reinitialize all. that fixed it. be sure if you do this you write down any corrections you have b/c they will be gone once you do this.

dunno if thats any help or not. good luck

dave

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try that, when I think about it that might be the problem because I didn't have the afm plugged in when I first set up the s-afc. Thanks man.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't help, still only hitting 52.6-52.7 when I fully press the flapper all the way open.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i sent u a PM. Should help out

for everyone else... here is the PM... incase someone else has this problem with an NA SAFC.. because apexi SUCKS!!

---------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem with my AFM. the most mine reads is 89% or something like that. What you gotta do... is change the SAFC sensor settings. there is a part where you can change the input/output or something like that. it'll say 08/08 or 09/09 and you can change the numbers up and down. kinda dumb, but becuase apexi has shit for the NA, you have to move up 1 number. Then check the max reading on the SAFC, then move another number, and check again. Sucks, i know. You gotta get the most % out of it. Its all directly relative, so if you can only get it to read like 80% it won't hurt tuning. All it means is that each 1% of change will be like 1.2% actual change. Its not a big deal. However, if you can only get 30%, then each 1% change will be 3.33% change. Thats not the best.

i just checked my SAFC settings. try this...

goto ect. (select)
goto sensor type. (select)
goto option #2 "Flap" (select)
set "sens no." to 06/06 for "in/out"

thats what i have mine set at.

Then check this...

With the engine off but key in the ON position.

Goto ect.
Goto sensor check.
My readings were

In-1: 3.815 V
In-2: 0.075 V
Thrt: 0.435 V

the numbers should be around there.

Make sure that when you push the flapper open, you are fully opening it until it stops. If it helps, take off the cover and manually move the sweeper arm. Just be VERY careful. If you drool in there it could really fuck shit up. ( my friend chad has a drooling problem and almost drooled in my AFM electronics once. :lol: )

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jong, I changed my In/Out settings to 15/15. Now my afm percent reads 25.6% when fully closed and 97.6% when fully open. Not sure if it really matters that it is reading 25.6% when fully closed. Does it matter?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Yes it should read 0.0% when fully closed and that's all that really matters. Having it read 100% airflow doesn't matter. What really matters is that when sitting at idle, it reads 0% airflow and 0% throttle. If you floor it, it should read 100% throttle. The airflow can actually go above 100%. I've setup and helped tuned several MKIV's on their MAF and it works the same way. It's not going to get very high just sitting there with you manually opening the flapper.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
change it back so you have 0% with the key on and engine off... you dont want 25% airflow signal going to your engine while idling... thats like you pushing the door open with the engine running; itll be too rich adn bog out.

anways... you could probalby pull the dust cover off and recalibrate it that way... there is a toothed wheel and a locking detent in there right? you could just move the wheel untill you see some change on the SAFC. get it as close to 1% whle the engine is off.

i konw the TPS was messed up on the 1J car, and i could move it quite a bit before it budged off the 0%... cuz it was only reading 82% at WOT... now it reads ~99% at WOT.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can't get the afm to read 0.0 %. The lowest it will read is .4 % when I have the in/out around 06/06. With the in/out any higher then 06/06. The afm voltage stays at 25.6 % when fully closed and 97.6 % when fully open. I am getting two different opinions here.
Edit: Beat me Flubyux2. So is it ok it reads .4% with the engine off?

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help Trent and Flubyux. Hopefully I have everything ironed out. Anyone else running an safc on a 7mge have any problems similar to this?

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
whether the engine is running or off, shouldn't affect the flapper voltage when the flapper is push. It's just a door. It has a fully closed and fully open... So, technically... fully open will be 100% and it can't really get past 100% cause the door can only open so far.

as far as adjust the spring in the AFM, all that does is change the tension on the door, not the range.

Mine reads 0.0% engine off. .8% engine idle , and about 67% is the highest i've seen it while driving at WOT. When i manually push it open, it reads 86%. IT doesn't really matter if it never see's 100%, cause its all relative to the % changes anyways. What is important is that with 0% correction on both maps, the SAFC should not be altering the voltage at all. This isn't a problem with the AFM or settings necessarily, its a problem with the SAFC.

as far as fixing it, you could try rechecking your wires, just to make sure there are no places that would cause excessive resistance to the SAFC or ECU. Then try messing around with SAFC settings. If nothing works, try another AFM. IF that doesn't work, try hooking up two AFMS and combine thier signal into one via the SAFC, i'm pretty sure i heard you can do that.

This SAFC glitch is part of the reason i'm going MAP...... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts