Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have searched for about 2 hours and could not find anything. My car has the oem keyless entry (glass breakage mic etc) under the driver seat. The car also has one of those fancy compustar systems. Now I am wondering. I want to remove the compustar and either:

A: go back to stock (i hate all the fancy features. I want lock, unlock, and an alarm)
B: remove the compustar, and the oem and go with a simple viper or something. (Having a paging remote is nice)

I want to simplify the system as much as i can. Any suggestions?
Is the oem alarm good? Mine is still intact and i even have the oem remote, albeit broken a bit but I would love to remove all the wiring from the aftermarket alarm and simplify this. This car barely ever gets parked in public places and i dont need no turbo timer, auto start, and a bunch of other stuff

EDIT: clarification. If I remove all the compustar wiring and return it to stock where its spliced etc, i am assuming my oem alarm will work? (The oem alarm harness is untouched)
However i do not have my glass breakage sensor, the plug is open, is that ok?

EDIT 2: if i uninstall my aftermarket alarm, and go with a simpler version. Can i just unplug the stock alarm and leave the plug open (im gonna guess no) it really bothers me to have two items for the same purpose.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. I said to hell with it and removed the compustar. My god... the gooey electrical tape... My hands are torn up. But it feels good knowing i can actually look inside the dash and see the floor.
Now i also added a pic of my oem alarm. Any ideas on what i should do?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
SlackJaw, the box with the yellow "caution" sticker you're holding is the "enhancement system", which adds an optional (port installed) glass break sensor to the stock alarm system. The actual stock alarm brain is next to the glove box, behind/under the dash. Keyless entry is enabled by a box under the center console next to the airbag computer (this was a dealer-installed option). I do know that they keyless entry module can be removed and the stock alarm can remain operational. I don't know if you can remove or disable the stock alarm system without losing the electric locks.

If you end up getting rid of that "enhancement system" box, I'd like to take it off your hands.

If you'd like a simpler alarm with paging remote, I have a nice Viper unit in great condition, complete with installation manual.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I see, ill have to strongly consider your proposition.

I want to buy an OEM Remote and run the OEM system
I am tired of wires and aftermarket alarms a bit

The only bit I am missing is the glass breakage mic (always notice it on your sig)
I took it off when I bought the car and now I cant find it

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
I want to buy an OEM Remote and run the OEM system
The OEM alarm brain is tucked up behind the dash in the area circled in red in the first picture below.

The "enhancement system" is just the brain for the glass break mic. It can be removed and the rest of the stock system will operate fine.

Look under your center console, and see if you have a box where the diagram says the "keyless entry system" is. It's the "Toyota V.I.P. System" box in the second picture. You have to have that to have keyless entry.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do not have that box under the center console, or a harness that would go to it in that area.
I do however, have an oem remote that came with the car, its just broken
Is that diagram for the 97-98?
I dont think anyone removed mine but there are no remnants in the center
I am confused

EDIT: Okay bitshftr (I dont know your name haha), if you know this (probably), let me know.

So basically I can live without keyless.
Now I only have the enhancement ecu, and the harness to that going behind my glove box, assuming it goes to the theft ECU.
I maybe do not have the actual keyless ecu? Unless thats the one by the glovebox the harness from the enhancement ecu leads to.
Now, how will my alarm function without the enhancement ecu or an aftermarket alarm?
Will I basically unlock the doors via key, then lock them with the key to activate the alarm (siren?), and vice versa?
So basically the idea behind power door locks is almost useless because the only time I can use them is when I am in the car?

If it will all work still and not lock me out, go haywire, etc, I am willing to give up the keyless entry.
I wont lose any sleep over it. I also have a master kill switch so I can just remove the key. It isnt much of a "street" car anyways:hay:

I dont want all that remote paging shock sensing gps fbi special ops stuff anyways

EDIT: I checked on the right side of the glove box under the vent. I see a black box with one orange connector
Then right underneath the vent I see another black box with a silver and blue label on it, angle is hard to all I can make out is "power..." I assume door lock ecu??

To sum it up, will the car goof up if all I have is the "theft ecu" and the "power..." ecu (assuming "locks")?
- No aftermarket alarm
- no remote

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
I do not have that box under the center console, or a harness that would go to it in that area.
I do however, have an oem remote that came with the car, its just broken
Is that diagram for the 97-98?
I dont think anyone removed mine but there are no remnants in the center
Hmmm...you either don't have keyless entry installed, or the installer put the box in a non-standard location. Maybe the "oem" remote never really was for your Supra?

I don't think the diagram is specific to a certain year. It was part of the install guide for the keyless entry system, so I assume it's for all MkIVs.

So basically I can live without keyless.
Now I only have the enhancement ecu, and the harness to that going behind my glove box, assuming it goes to the theft ECU.
I maybe do not have the actual keyless ecu? Unless thats the one by the glovebox the harness from the enhancement ecu leads to.
No, the two boxes next to/behind/above the glove box are the door lock ECU and the theft deterrent ECU.

Now, how will my alarm function without the enhancement ecu or an aftermarket alarm?
Will I basically unlock the doors via key, then lock them with the key to activate the alarm (siren?), and vice versa?
Should still work just fine, just no glass break sensor because the enhancement ECU is missing. You can lock the doors with the key, or from inside using the power lock button, or from inside using the actual manual lock button, and this will arm the alarm (after all doors are locked and closed). You will unlock the doors with the key, which will disarm the alarm.

So basically the idea behind power door locks is almost useless because the only time I can use them is when I am in the car?
Not exactly. You can still lock all doors at once using the key in the door keyhole. You can unlock both doors using the key in the passenger door keyhole. You can unlock both doors using the key in the driver's door keyhole, by "double-clicking" it.

EDIT: I checked on the right side of the glove box under the vent. I see a black box with one orange connector
Then right underneath the vent I see another black box with a silver and blue label on it, angle is hard to all I can make out is "power..." I assume door lock ecu??
"Power.." box is the power door locks ECU. The black box with orange connector is the theft deterrent ECU, I'm pretty sure.

To sum it up, will the car goof up if all I have is the "theft ecu" and the "power..." ecu (assuming "locks")?
- No aftermarket alarm
- no remote
It will not goof up...should be fine. Your car will be like most Supras: power locks, stock alarm, no keyless entry, and no glass break sensor. My TT is just like that.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
You can add a start button with keyfob to have keyless door lock operation, and retain stock alarm system.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at all the diagrams already and already tucked everything away.
Thanks alot for all your help bitshftr and everyone else.
Im just gonna run the stock alarm and no enhancement ecu and all that. This car has many ways to deter thefts.
Also I am going to be lojacking so that will help
I am happy now that the system is simplified.

-Marvin

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
If anybody knows how to program this thing it would be greatly appreciated. My car has always single beeped on lock and beep beep on unlocking. Its my understanding that the system can be programmed to only flash the parking lights....which I would like a ton better. Any ideas?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
HotSoup, which alarm, and from what year? I don't think the stock alarm ever made noise upon lock/unlock. Does it make this noise only with a keyfob, or also if you lock/unlock with the key in the door keyhole? And is it a "chirp" or a really short horn "honk"?

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Car is a 94, alarm is factory. It has the horn beep, curt said once it was in the programmimg but never did tell me how to program it. It has glass break sensor too if that matters. Its just annoying to me, and yes its with the key fob. Rectangle with the single white button.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
HotSoup, you're probably going to have to get the part # or model off the keyless entry ECU, which is located in the back/bottom of the center console. Then the programming instructions can be located. The keyless fob on my NA is all black, with 2 buttons, so I think there might be multiple keyless entry modules floating around the country.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts