Supra Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
just use the hyundai ones then if they have the same connector and known to work. I can't say for sure which ones work and wont work, but probably a lot of different ones can be made to work.
As for fitting them, not a whole lot of coils will fit under the stock intake manifold for those middle cylinders, but if you do find some post them up.

the vvti coils are the easiest and spark well, literally designed for that intake. if you are pushing enough power to need more spark then you may want to go front facing intake manifold and then you can run whatever everyones running these days.
it used to be the GM coils, then it was aem coils, not really sure what the current coil of choice is haven't been paying attention.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like I'm gonna try and find out if the Audi coils will fit under the stock manifold. Ray Hall has been using them quite effectively and spotted some pro drift guys making 1000hp on them. http://www.turbofast.com.au/lexusignition.html <--- shows dwell times and pin-out so that's helpful too. That and I wont have to get an igniter since its built in. Just not sure if they return an IGF signal. Got an early model 2jzgte Aristo ecu for cheap and figured I would use it rather than wire my swap for the 2jzge ecu and distributor only to cut the harness back open again. I might as well wire it up for the GTE ecu and use it. Also for preparation of maybe a Link G4+ PnP "supralink" ecu down the road.

Question: can I run the stock 2jzge injectors while I run the GTE ecu without boost or will the ecu only work with 440cc's?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
They really don't look much shorter than gte coils, hard to tell from the pictures but not sure if they will even clear the n/a intake.
you will need an IGF simulator with the ge or gte ecu also, so really I don't see how this is even remotely worth it.
those IGF simulator circuits are tricky and I would generally not want one in my setup.
I would try one if I was running a standalone though as it looks like a decent option.
With the TT ecu just use the vvti coils and ignitor with the stock intake manifold or find a short coil that you can use along with a toyota ignitor.

You need 440cc injectors. the car may start in warm weather and sort of idle on 330s but it will be lean and will not run correctly.
If you are judging success by whether you can get it to start and idle, then I will say *maybe* but...
you might as well stick with the n/a ecu at that point.

Also, when you are taking off the intake to do the coils, you are over half way of removing stuff to get to the removal of the fuel rail.
I would do both jobs at the same time, cause it is a pain to remove that intake even when you bypass the coolant hoses, and install at least 440cc.

It's really a simple mod with the toyota stuff, and from what it sounds like to me you like to tinker with stuff so my suggestion would be if you want to experiment with all those other setups just go straight to a standalone, you will be happier with the flexibility, you can run whatever coils you want and also injector size but no one ever runs 330cc for more than just a test start, and even that is a waste of time cause if you are going turbo and don't have injectors and a fuel pump then you should hold off on going turbo and do it all at once.

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
How is this not a "Sticky"?
Good point.

Ali, this is a hell of a useful resource and thank you for taking the time to post it and continue to answer questions!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thanks guys, just wanted to mention I've added in some details and removed some other stuff over time to make things more clear and the version at club lexus SC section is the most updated, so if you are wondering about a specific detail be sure to check the other thread also also as I haven't had the time to update this one fully... but all the stuff you need is in the post. It seems some people just need more details than others :bigok:

I am actually about to do the vvti version of the tt ecu mod when I drop my 2jzge vvti na-t into my 2001 tacoma.
95 supra n/a block, is300 head, and a bunch of na-t goodies.. going to see how it runs on the stock vvti ecu :beer:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking forward to your vvti tt ecu mod! Im looking to eventually get an NA vvti head for my non vvti block or a whole na vvti longblock and swap in the non vvti pistons and rods.
Looks like the R35 coils are all the rage rumor has it 370z coils are the same just have a different part number cause the stems are different lengths but those are removable anyhow.
Not sure if they'll fit under the NA crossover intake manifold but the head looks smaller than the tt coils and maybe they can me mounted deeper in the valley between the valve covers.

403-044-H.jpg r35 coils TT.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
So I'm about to dive into this. I got the coils, igniter from an IS300, got a 2JZ MAF and an IAT in the mail. I had one question though. I want to wire it all up and get it running on the ECU before I add all the turbo components to make sure that electrically everything works. Can I do this on the stock injectors and pump and have it run and drive so that I can test it all out without hurting anything?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
^^ you mean Map sensor right? JDM ecu doesn't use the maf.

the ecu needs the right size injectors, have gotten this question lots of times and there is no good way to run it with the stock injectors. people have tried trust me, it has trouble starting and if you can get it started it will constantly run lean and stumble. a safc won't help you either cause you are correcting the wrong way and it will cause it to run badly also.

You need the 440cc injectors (or 550 with a piggyback but I would start with 440 on a street setup just to get it all worked out, some piggybacks can cause large headaches).
You can use the stock fuel pump for now though, but when you start to hit real boost like over 7 psi, you should go to a denso or walboro etc..

look up osidetiger on ebay stores, they rebuild and sell actual denso injectors that work well for na-t and are reasonable in price.
search 2jzge na-t injectors on there and look for oside tiger. they usually have 440cc injectors if not send them a message or some should pop up when they have them.

Also took me a few minutes to find this thread, I guess it got stickied in the n/a section, pretty neat :cool:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Aaaaand it's running (still NA though). I'm quite impressed with how this all works so nicely. At first it stumbled a bit when I tapped the throttle but I let it warm up and set the timing and now its running smooth and pulls harder than before with the distributor. I'm going to cold soak it a couple more times and run it again to make sure its running good consistently and then it's time to start boosting her.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
:cool:(y)

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,052 Posts
Ali, do you happen to have the settings to change on an AEM V2 (6101 GE specific) + wiring diagram ? for is300 coils

will I have to worry about “timing drift” keeping the base of the distributor for the cam position sensor ?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
You don't have to worry so much about the timing drift especially if you are getting the car tuned and not using someone elses tune.
There is usually a slight drift, but as it is being tuned the timing that gets dialed in will naturally account for the drift (drift is vs rpm, and timing is also tuned vs rpm).
Now if you used someones tune that was tuned on fixed sensors like the GTE, a little tweaking might be necessary but generally its pretty close.. you could just pull like 5 degrees across the map and do the fine tuning again if you are picking up knock.

Copied this from this thread on CL

I seem to get asked this alot and it is a little different than the V1 so here is the way to do it.

I am going to use my the numbering system for the coils here that makes the most sense, if you use a different one, you will need to adjust for that.

Step 1.
Wire coil 1 (cylinders 1 and 6) to pin 57B on ecu connector.
Wire coil 2 (cylinders 2 and 5) to pin 56B on ecu connector
Wire coil 3 (cylinders 3 and 4) to pin 55B on ecu connector.
See Post 2 for a wiring diagram to install vvti coils for the aem v1/v2.

Step 2.
change the coil phasing to match the diagram below.
coils 4-6 will be turned off, and coils 1B, 2B and 3B will be turned on and use the phasing numbers shown.
check all the knock sensor boxes unless you can confidently say which one you should use for each cylinder (I know I cant)

Step 3.
This step matters if you are using the distributor as the cam/crank sensor, GTE pickups, or a 7M CPS.

If you are using the GTE style pickups, make sure advanced pickup options look like this picture below, these are the default settings in the GTE basemap.
If you are using the GE distributor, change spark teeth to 24 and try using (Crank H sens below = 2000) and (Crank L sens Above = 1900) as these are the settings from the aem V1.

If you are using the 7M CPS, use these settings and make sure advanced pickup options look like this.

That should get the cam/crank sensors reading right and your coils firing in the right order. Pass it on
:thumbup:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yeah, VVTI coils are a no brainer over the stock coil... wiring is easy and can even work with the tt ecu mod and the ignition is so much better you will notice the idle quality improve and with the larger gap you can run pick up a little power also. go with the BKR7EIX or if you are on low boost go with a BKR6EIX and gap them around .028-.032 to start and go from there.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,052 Posts
At the moment I’m running E85, AEM V2, 71mm precision, stock distributor with new fresh oem Toyota ignition components, plus HKS twin power. Rev’s to 8200 clean on NGK 4644 at .026 at about 14psi

just thinking ahead before I go big boost

81 - 95 of 95 Posts