Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back from the alignment shop and they said they were unable to meet the specs of the Lance Alignement, but got it as close as they can. These are the results, am I gonna have trouble in the long run??

Lance Alignment
Front:
Camber -1.0
Caster +5.0
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -1.5
Toe IN 1.0mm

My Car
Front Left:
Camber +0.32
Caster +3.56
Toe -1/32

Front Right:
Camber -0.04
Caster +3.76
Toe -1.32

Rear:
Camber -1.44
Toe 0

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Victor

·
3,148 Posts
I would take it somewhere else. I would not accept any positive camber or toe in my settings. If your car hasn't been wrecked they should be able to get the setting correct.

Later, Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alignment

You should check out the How To allign the supra at MKIV.com.
After reading the whole thing, they say basically to allign the supra correctly, the first time may take 6 hours. when i had my car alligned, the specialty shop i took it to was cursing the whole way through. It was so tight and hard to break free that the car was actually sliding out of place numerous times on the rack. You really should get it alligned again by someone else because most likely the shop ran into this problem, and just said the hell with it since it was going to take them too long. how long did it take your shop to do. If it was an hour, they didn't do it right.

Zach

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This exact same thing happened to me today.:mad: I took my car to get re-alinged again and they told me they can't get it to match the Lance alighnment. Car was also bouncing on the rack. They got the rear to the Lance, but put the front to stock. Will this mess up my car?

Question:
I also found out my front drivers side eccetric cam is rounded so it cant get meet Lance alighnment. How much is it to replace and how difficult will it be?

Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
At least your rear tires won't wear out as much like that.
That front camber is the main thing that's off,I'd ask why the adjustment there is so tough to make right.
Still better than some of my adventures in alignments.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I know the shop did not spend 6 hours on the car. They didn't start working on it till after lunch and I picked it up at 3. I paid 60 bucks for a f***ed up alignment, grrrr. Does anyone know of a good alignment shop in northern NJ that would know the correct way to align the car. Thanks alot guys.

Victor

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
I believe that the alignment instructions per MKIV.COM are directed at do-it-yourselfers working with only basic equipment.
I can't see a reason that it should take even close to 6 hrs for a pro shop, using laser-based equipment.
Also, I'd expect that most shops would charge a minimum of $60/hr which means $360 plus for alignment.
I'm far from being convinced that it's necessary.

Anybody out there paid $360+ for an alignment job?

Jay :blue:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doubtful I would pay that price... I had Toyota do it (on a laser-based system) and they matched the Lance specs. just fine. $75 for that. HOWEVER, one year later, and no pothole strikes, I have a bad pull to the right. Tires are fine (SO3s). Back at Toyota for a re-check... I'm going back to stock specs to compare (I can't remember what it's like on factory settings). 6hrs.? Shit, try some penetrating oil!

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
POC

Piece of Cake....:p

Your shop can't hit the numbers they are lame. My shop gave me a hardtime because they were so far off the stock specs. I told them hit my specs or bye bye. They insisted on me test driving the car before I left to be sure it was ok. I drove about 100ft and knew they were good. The car sat flat and my tire wear on KD's after 3k is miniscule.
An alignment should be one cost. If your shop spends six hours aligning your car they need more training. My car took an hr + the first time now its like 20 minutes.
Penetrating oil makes perfect sense. Remember to have all the setting's torqued to spec!! This will prevent them from jumping as much.
FWIW
A road raced car is a different ball of wax as far as settings and time needed.
Call the shop and ask if they can use your specs, most will jump at the chance to fill the time slot. Get the tires Road forced balanced and your golden.
If your car is dropped they have a little more wrenching to do.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
hey guys i am about to also get an alignment done and was wondering if having wide tires have any effect. if not then i'm just gonna show them the lance alignment spec. TIA

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
turbo630hp said:
hey guys i am about to also get an alignment done and was wondering if having wide tires have any effect. if not then i'm just gonna show them the lance alignment spec. TIA
No. Take it to someone for a hand alignment and ensure that they torque the bolts down properly.

Machine alignments suck from what I've seen of peoples' experiences.

·
Registered
160 Posts
thanx quick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts