Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have my entire kit ready to go on my dawg. Now I'm just having a dilemma picking a turbo. I had originally planned on a T61, but then decided perhaps a T64. Now after talking with a friend perhaps a T66 .58 trim. My problem is I dont want an incredible amount of lag. I was wondering if you Single turbo Automatics could tell me what turbo your running, how you like it, and what RPMs you really start feeling the power. Thanks fellas!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the TQ stall?

If it's 3800+, lag will not be an issue.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd personally use a SP63 or similar sized turbo with that converter.
 

·
King of the NA-T's
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
I have a SP63 (.70a/r) and a 3200 stall. I would definitely either get a smaller turbo or a higher stall. (I'm doing the latter).
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since i want this car to be streetable more than anything, would my original choice of the T61 be my best bet?
 
2

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go with the SP63 and get a .58 housing. You'll love it. Plus, if you do the fuel system or get a higher stall TC later, you can always get a bigger exhaust housing.
 

·
Super Duper Moderator
Joined
·
616 Posts
2DVS4U said:
Go with the SP63 and get a .58 housing. You'll love it. Plus, if you do the fuel system or get a higher stall TC later, you can always get a bigger exhaust housing.
My exact setup. SP63 .58. Little more lag then stock twins. Its pretty drivable by leaving it in the "D" but, i've found it better to shift 1/2/d etc. Any other questions feel free to PM me.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave I had put my old combo into the drag program DRAGPLUS. The recomended best stall was like 4600rpm. With my new combo the program predicted a 5500rpm stall would be best bet.
What are you gonna get ?? PI-3 plate--4200stall??


DaveH said:
I have a SP63 (.70a/r) and a 3200 stall. I would definitely either get a smaller turbo or a higher stall. (I'm doing the latter).
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was kinda interested in this thread.. but it doesnt look like there are many single supra's with auto's. :(
 

·
King of the NA-T's
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
Since I use spray out of the hole, I was gonna get the 3800 PI 3 plate.... hoping to keep the car as streetable as possible.

BLK-SP64 said:
Dave I had put my old combo into the drag program DRAGPLUS. The recomended best stall was like 4600rpm. With my new combo the program predicted a 5500rpm stall would be best bet.
What are you gonna get ?? PI-3 plate--4200stall??
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BLK-SP64 said:
Dave I had put my old combo into the drag program DRAGPLUS. The recomended best stall was like 4600rpm. With my new combo the program predicted a 5500rpm stall would be best bet.
What are you gonna get ?? PI-3 plate--4200stall??


The reason for this is that your program is very likely recommending stall speed that is 400-600 rpm below peak torque, which has been dicovered as a good rule of thumb for N/A drag cars.

Turbo cars, because of the ability to build boost at the line, can get away with lower stall speeds, especially if you want to keep them daily driveable. However, if you were building a turbo car for race ONLY, you would probably want to tilize a stall that occurs about 400rpm's below peak engine torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Well your stall speed won't affect when you see max boost. That should always stay the same. The time it takes to reach 4000rpm and max boost will VARY. From a dead stop, it must take you forever to reach 4000 rpms. I think the PHR stage 2 is a T64. Which is the same as a SP63. They all come from the same place. I have the stock twins working in TTC with a tighter than usual 3200 stall and I wouldn't want any larger stall for streetability reasons or any larger turbo for worse boost threshhold. TTC should spool similar to a T61 .70 AR from what I've gathered. T60 slightly better, T64 slightly worse. Albeit not from my own experience.

John H

Boostenmkiv said:
I have a stock stall right now and the PHR Stage 2. I think the spool is a little slower than stock but its not bad at all, totally drivable with a stock stall. IMHO the turbo spools fast enough with a stock stall that its making me wish I had gone bigger! I see max boost before 4000.

Mike
94T Auto PHR Stage 2
http://hometown.aol.com/boostenmkiv/myrides.html
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go to my webpage to see the specs,, email me if u have any questions.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
157 Posts
John H said:
Well your stall speed won't affect when you see max boost. That should always stay the same. The time it takes to reach 4000rpm and max boost will VARY. From a dead stop, it must take you forever to reach 4000 rpms. I think the PHR stage 2 is a T64. Which is the same as a SP63. They all come from the same place. I have the stock twins working in TTC with a tighter than usual 3200 stall and I wouldn't want any larger stall for streetability reasons or any larger turbo for worse boost threshhold. TTC should spool similar to a T61 .70 AR from what I've gathered. T60 slightly better, T64 slightly worse. Albeit not from my own experience.

John H

John, I agree with you to a point. I know that a stall will not necessarily change what RPM max boost hits at, but with a higher stall if will FEEL like the car has less lag due to the high stall. Yes, the SP63 and the stage 2 do seem to be similar in size but from what I have heard and can tell the stage 2 seems to spool faster which makes sense because the stage 2 is built with a true ball bearing turbo which should allow it to spool a little sooner IMO. I wish you were local, I would love to give you a ride in my car, I was honestly impressed with the spooling and power characteristics of this turbo! What RPM do you see max boost with your stock twin in TTC?
 

·
Defender of the Universe
Joined
·
463 Posts
i feel pretty dumb asking this but what exactly does a torque converter and higher stall do. How does it affect drivability? Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
157 Posts
With a upgraded torque converter you usually get a higher stall, the higher stall will allow you to accelerate faster. Stall speed is measured by the rpms you reach when pressing the brake and gas at the same time while not moving. I have not been able to find out exactly what stock is, but I think its like 2200-2400. Imagine having a manual and slipping the clutch to stay at a higher rpm to build boost faster and be closer to the "sweet spot" in the rpm band. That is what a higher stall will do for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
I think I will move up to a T66 with a .58 a/r after I get tired of my SP60.....I am on stock stall right now and my SP60 is with a .58 a/r.

Good thread:D

Scot
SP60
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top